LP Standard Negative Comments

Fillmore

Reaction score
First off apologies if this is the wrong area.

At seventy I just started playing guitar. I was invited to join a group of guys that jam. I see these guys on a daily basis so they aren't actually strangers. I show up to and they start asking about my guitar. I tell them it's a Gibson Les Paul Standard and It's a lefty. The reaction I got I didn't expect.

Why did you buy this thing? Why didn't you get the Traditional? A lefty? What the hell?

I don't understand. This guitar(to me) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To my ears it sounds perfect.

What am I missing?

Benniator

Reaction score
It's a pissing contest. It's popular to hate on Gibson for questionable business decisions they've made and some quality control issues they've had over the past few years. If it wasn't just good-natured ribbing, maybe find another group to play with and leave them to their bitter Daisy Rock existence.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wankers are gonna wank

Pay them no mind.... you have one of the finest instruments that was ever made.... feel proud you have one.... :cheers:

Last edited:

DarrellV

Nice boy..... Sharp as a bowlin' ball! !
Premium Member
Reaction score
As all said above! Standards are badass!!!

Change my mind!!!!

1982 Standard, Norlin made, some say that makes mine a POS too! Not kidding!

You need to care about the haters about as little as I do, and just enjoy the heck out of that thing. Sounds like you are outclassing the bunch anyway. Find some grown ups to play with! :laugh2:

Left or right hand, makes no difference. Yours is all the more unique 'cause they don't make a lot of lefties.

Just my 2 cents.

And FWIW, every one that commented above, knows what they are talking about. Good people and owners of nice gear that would keep your friend's gums busy for MONTHS!!!! :laugh2:

EDIT: P.S. Tis customary to post :photos:of said lefty so we can give a proper , um, er... evaluation! Yeah, that's it!

Truth is, we LIKE to see other folks gear in here! :jam:

Attachments

Last edited:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
As all said above! Standards are badass!!!

Change my mind!!!!

1982 Standard, Norlin made, some say that makes mine a POS too! Not kidding!

You need to care about the haters about as little as I do, and just enjoy the heck out of that thing. Sounds like you are outclassing the bunch anyway. Find some grown ups to play with! :laugh2:

Left or right hand, makes no difference. Yours is all the more unique 'cause they don't make a lot of lefties.

Just my 2 cents.

And FWIW, every one that commented above, knows what they are talking about. Good people and owners of nice gear that would keep your friend's gums busy for MONTHS!!!! :laugh2:

EDIT: P.S. Tis customary to post :photos:of said lefty so we can give a proper , um, er... evaluation! Yeah, that's it!

Truth is, we LIKE to see other folks gear in here! :jam:
@DarrellV , u and I have very similar taste
That is a STUNNING standard...
Proof that a les Paul standard rules...
:wow:

-Chris

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think I'd find some new people to hang out with :(

I can't imagine people make fun of you for being a lefty unless they are just downright meanspirited. Sounds to me like they really have no life at all.

Secondly a Gibson Les Paul is an iconic and coveted instrument. So that tells me they are also either stupid or jealous.

akuster777

Reaction score
first of all: show your pics!

second: I have two Standards now. My other guitars sound great, but they're for specialty sounds. I always come back to my Standards when I need my best basic tones. They sound magical.