LP Standard Goldtop - Funky Serial Number

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Hello from Thailand

Looking at a pretty nice 2011 model for around $240 US. Im kinda scared by the look of this serial number though. Im not familiar with Epihones, so maybe its normal. Please have a look and let me know if this is cool or not.

This one wont last long so I gotta hurry!

Thanks!

cliffenstein

Reaction score
You are definitely good to go. It’s not uncommon for some of that gold on the serial number to flake off over time. They don’t even bother with it on the 2020 models...they are now just stamped in like Gibson does it.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
You are definitely good to go. It’s not uncommon for some of that gold on the serial number to flake off over time. They don’t even bother with it on the 2020 models...they are now just stamped in like Gibson does it.
Great info! I appreciate the insight. Really looking forward to trying this one out tomorrow. It looks pretty good compared to what I usually see advertised around here lol

Fuelish

Reaction score
Ditch the horrid factory knobs is my only advice :)

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Well I bought the guitar today guys It looked even better than I expected, Once Ive torn it down and cleaned/polished everything, it will look like a new one. There was a small problem in the wiring, so he reduced the price a bit more. The sound is kinda muffled, but it plays real nice. I will just rip out that shitty wiring and redo it with good pots & caps. Im sure that will open up the sound. All in all... Im real happy with it. I like it a lot. Thanks to everyone for helping me out

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
We will see. Something is definitely screwy. Looks like someones been playing around inside. There were a few solder blobs rolling around lol There was one tone pot that I could see, marked linear B500k. One pickup wouldnt turn off, etc etc. Im sure it will be fine after that stuff is sorted.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
You can always go for a pickup swap too...that guitar absolutely can be made to sound fantastic. Enjoy the ride.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Possibly down the road. But first the control circuit needs attention. After that I'll see what can be done with these stock pups. Turn the screws, play and listen... repeat. Its interesting and Ive got the time lol Anyway the build quality is really amazing. Everything just seems perfect! I think Im gonna love this guitar :D

DrBGood

Reaction score
Possibly down the road. But first the control circuit needs attention. After that I'll see what can be done with these stock pups. Turn the screws, play and listen... repeat. Its interesting and Ive got the time lol Anyway the build quality is really amazing. Everything just seems perfect! I think Im gonna love this guitar :D
You'll now be able to change your nick to HavaLesPaul

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Just get some better quality amber bonnet knobs. Seeing as it's a Goldtop you should try and get ones that are a bit lighter as IMHO they look better than the darker ones that are on yours at the moment. Something like this...

Failing that reflector knobs look great on Goldtops too. Congrats, looks like you got a good deal on a nice LP

Latest Threads