LP Standard 60s questions

Injector

Reaction score
That neck binding issue is lousy. Definitely swap that guitar.
The pickguard bolt will always leave a mark. Gibson use brackets that are too damned short.

JMP

Reaction score
Yeah, the neck binding issue is legit. I’d not accept that. Let us know how the exchange goes.

Pappy35

Reaction score
I don't like to name names, but from a popular online retailer.

I was taken care of by customer service, so no worries or ill feelings.

I guess I got a lemon...it happens.
You're a good man Charlie Brown for being cool about it. These are hand-finished so a fault is always likely. I agree with the others too, I would not accept that neck binding issue. The dimple happens and that nut didn't look too bad either. That binding? Yeah no.

little_grease86

Reaction score
You're a good man Charlie Brown for being cool about it. These are hand-finished so a fault is always likely. I agree with the others too, I would not accept that neck binding issue. The dimple happens and that nut didn't look too bad either. That binding? Yeah no.
Yea, I understand there are lemons with any product you purchase. But I'm a bit curious how this guitar passed thru QC evaluations. I could feel the neck problem almost immediately when I first played it.

workerunit

Reaction score
As far as the neck binding goes, it's the nature of a handmade guitar and its supposed to be like that. That is what makes it unique, and a Gibson.

Just kidding, send it back!!!!

dro

Reaction score
Nube with a razor blade.

jpfigueiredo

Reaction score
I also have a binding issue very similar to that one.
It only happens at the high E side and along the first three frets, but it is a place where the thumb sits a lot, so I end up feeling it most of the time. It's starting to trouble me.

2020 Les Paul Standard '50s.

Injector

Reaction score
I also have a binding issue very similar to that one.
It only happens at the high E side and along the first three frets, but it is a place where the thumb sits a lot, so I end up feeling it most of the time. It's starting to trouble me.

2020 Les Paul Standard '50s.
Return it if you can. Shoddy crafsmanship like that is not acceptable, even on a $300 Harley Benton.

Blakestyger

Reaction score
The ridge in the photos is definitely noticeable to the eye, let alone the feel of your hand along the neck. Agree with other comments, return the guitar, this is beyond acceptable tolerances in manufacture and make your complaint known to Gibson as well.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Hi OP, thanks for posting and great comments from the MLP lads.

Gibson QC is known to be somewhat inconsistent. Case in point: 2 of my 4 Gibson USA ‘Pauls had awful factory nut slots ... Tuning issues galore (I had to stick Graphtek pre slotted nuts on them) and imperfect neck binding (but not noticeable when playing).... the other 2? Perfectly cut nuts and flawless binding, neck and body.... go figure!

That binding job in your pics is unacceptable. Fingers crossed and your replacement’s nut and binding might be as perfect as it is on the 2 good ‘uns I have!

Insist on a decent replacement as advised above and let us know how your new guitar feels.

EddieF

Reaction score
Hello all...my first post.

I received a new LP Standard 60s and I noticed some things with the short time I've had it and since this is my first real LP I'm not sure what's normal or not...

Anyways...the guitar will not stay in tune at all. I tune and after about 5 minutes it's out again. Yes it still has factory strings on it since I just got it. I've tried seating the strings (tugging on them), I always tune up to pitch, etc. The action is good, maybe just a little high for my taste. There are no 'dead' notes though which is good.

The nut on the low E side sticks out just a hair compared to the high E side...can't really see but can feel it for sure.

Where the binding meets the neck is where it gets interesting. If I rub my fingers up and down the neck on the sides, the binding sits flush on the low E side up until the 5th fret then the neck sticks out just a hair from the binding (again, can't really see it just feel it) and it follows a consistent feel all the way up the neck.

On the high E side the binding is flush at the 1st fret, then the neck (by feel) sticks out quite noticeably from the 2nd to 12th fret, then flush again on 13th-14th fret then out again consistently all the way up. The binding itself looks good as there no bulging or unevenness in it's appearance.

Any help/advice is appreciated...thanks.
I have a ‘74 Les Paul Custom and a 2016 ES 335. When I change strings I put a tiny dab of lithium grease on a toothpick and apply it to each nut slot. I have no tuning issues. There are other products like Big Bends Nut Sauce that do the same thing.

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
I got one of the 2017 ES 335 Memphis guitars when Reverb closed out the stock from the Memphis factory, It was supposed to be a guitar that was used as a demonstrator, but it was obviously never used at all. Since it was about half the price of a new 335 I jumped at the chance to buy it. It turned out to be perfect, not a single issue and one of my favorite guitars, Lucky I guess....It's the Cherry one.
IMG_1430.JPG

philippe david

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "little_grease86, message: 9673006, membre: 124273"]
Cette pièce est d'environ 73 à 77 degrés entre 40 et 50% d'humidité.

J'ai zoomé dessus. C'est inégal comme ça de haut en bas du manche des deux côtés ... cela semble étrange pour une guitare aussi chère.

Merci encore. View attachment 486841
[/CITATION]
hé les gars, vous jouez de la guitare ou vous faites des mathématiques

danzego

Reaction score
Good lawd, what a terrible scraping job that is! Yeah, something like that absolutely has to go back. I’ve come across a couple of bad scrape jobs, but that’s the worst I’ve ever seen by far.

My own 50s Standard came to me from Wildwood with a ridge all the way along each side, but it was slight enough that they were able to clear it up with some 800 grit sandpaper to smooth it out.

Speaking of which, I don’t have a problem mentioning who I bought it from because they had my back on that one. Whichever retailer you used, OP, had your back. If anything, you should post the name of the retailer since they were cool with you returning it. They didn’t build it, they just sold it because that’s what they do. It’s always nice to give props to and know which retailers will have your back like whoever you bought yours from!

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
i'd personally be way more upset with where they've put the D string slot in the nut - it's miles out

rogue3

Reaction score
Sorry,i will catch up on this.good topic.op?. hey.

madh4ttr

Reaction score
Yea I'd send it back as well. My 60's standard was flawless and very happy with it. As far as your tuning, stretch the hell out of the strings and play it and soon it shouldn't be going out of tune. I usually change strings and do my thing when I get a new guitar

Latest Threads