LP Standard 60s questions

little_grease86

Reaction score
Hello all...my first post.

I received a new LP Standard 60s and I noticed some things with the short time I've had it and since this is my first real LP I'm not sure what's normal or not...

Anyways...the guitar will not stay in tune at all. I tune and after about 5 minutes it's out again. Yes it still has factory strings on it since I just got it. I've tried seating the strings (tugging on them), I always tune up to pitch, etc. The action is good, maybe just a little high for my taste. There are no 'dead' notes though which is good.

The nut on the low E side sticks out just a hair compared to the high E side...can't really see but can feel it for sure.

Where the binding meets the neck is where it gets interesting. If I rub my fingers up and down the neck on the sides, the binding sits flush on the low E side up until the 5th fret then the neck sticks out just a hair from the binding (again, can't really see it just feel it) and it follows a consistent feel all the way up the neck.

On the high E side the binding is flush at the 1st fret, then the neck (by feel) sticks out quite noticeably from the 2nd to 12th fret, then flush again on 13th-14th fret then out again consistently all the way up. The binding itself looks good as there no bulging or unevenness in it's appearance.

Any help/advice is appreciated...thanks.

JMP

Reaction score
About the tuning issues - I’d put a fresh set of quality strings on it, check the relief and action and adjust both as necessary. In my experience, some guitars need a little time to settle into their happy place.

Utmost

Reaction score
I had to “play mine in” to get better tuning stability and still do each string change. I also hit the nut slots with some pencil ✏ for lube. Give it the pencil and play treatment. Have fun!

little_grease86

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I have new strings on the way and I've done the pencil trick on my other guitars with success before. I'll see if that helps with this guitar.

I don't know about the neck though. I would think the binding would sit flush against the neck all the way on each side. Or at least be uniform on each side if the binding and neck don't perfectly match. Seems odd to be uneven in diff places.

Pappy35

Reaction score
You should post a picture if you can. A surface defect there, no matter how minor, will remind you it's there every time you play. Without seeing it, it's hard for us to provide reasonable input but your opportunity to return it (if there is one of course) must not expire before you figure out you hate that.

little_grease86

Reaction score
Ok I tried my best to take decent pics.

I took the pick guard off and there is a blemish where the felt from the pick guard was resting...

LP 1 - Copy.jpg
LP 2 - Copy.JPG
LP 3 - Copy.JPG
LP 4 - Copy.JPG
LP 5 - Copy.JPG

musicmaniac

Reaction score
The little blemish from the pick guard happens sometimes. Just bend the bracket a tad and put felt on the nut if you really care. I don't see anything with the binding from the pics and tuning issues have been discussed. Are you in a humid environment?

little_grease86

Reaction score
This room is about 73-77 degrees anywhere from 40-50% humidity.

I zoomed in on it. It's uneven like this up and down the neck on both sides...seems odd for a guitar this expensive.

Thanks again.
LP 6 - Copy.JPG

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
@little_grease86 I agree with musicmaniac. I have a 2019 LP Standard 60's. I just double checked mine to be sure I haven't overlooked something. The fit and finish is perfect. I can't find a single flaw. I wouldn't keep one with flaws like that for that price.

I see it now. You might want to send that one back then.

little_grease86

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies, I appreciate it.

Was making sure I'm not going crazy and nit picking to the extreme..I'll see what I can do about returning it.

Thanks--

christopherJ

Reaction score
Gibson is notorious for bad scrape jobs, even on very high-end guitars. If you can feel it, send it back but be prepared for another one with the same issue, maybe worse. Tell the dealer your concerns and have them hand-pick a replacement.

Benniator

Reaction score
Mine doesn’t have that either. Your scraper went a wee bit overboard.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is the worst factory flaw I've seen in a while. That would make me nuts. Absolutely send it back. Where did you get the guitar from?

christopherJ

Reaction score
As I've said before, you really have to work hard at scraping the binding too far. Takes many passes.

Cue those that claim it's the nature of "handmade" guitars and/or that they are supposed to be like that.

In 3...2...1

Ripgut

Reaction score
If I were you I would definitely send it back man, without hesitation. Good luck!

integra evan

Reaction score
That's the most excessive ridge I've seen on a binding scrape job.

Latest Threads