LP Standard 50s Volume Pot Taper on Bridge PU Issue

Slim Chance

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2020 Sweetwater exclusive 1950s Standard. It's beautiful and cosmetically in excellent condition. I noticed that the bridge pick up volume falls off very fast as you turn the pot down from 10. By five, it gets very quite and is certainly way less than half of full. This is with the tone pot on 10. Neck only doesn't fall off quite as fast, although maybe faster than I would like. The harness and pots (Gibson) look original and they do not appear to have been altered.

Is this normal? My 2020 Classic has a more gradual taper. I plan on taking it to my tech, but he is closed for another week and I'm a bit worried. The guitar was listed as mint, but I'm not sure if this is cause for return for a Reverb purchase. I'd rather not deal with a return so if it's an easy fix, I'd rather keep it.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, pots have a tolerance (as do all electronic components that are sold). So not every one is likely to be just the same as another even if the nominal spec is the same.

I'm not sure if Reverb has a 'Its fine/normal but I don't like it' return clause, but thats what section you'd be in.

BDW60

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2020 Sweetwater exclusive 1950s Standard. It's beautiful and cosmetically in excellent condition. I noticed that the bridge pick up volume falls off very fast as you turn the pot down from 10. By five, it gets very quite and is certainly way less than half of full. This is with the tone pot on 10. Neck only doesn't fall off quite as fast, although maybe faster than I would like. The harness and pots (Gibson) look original and they do not appear to have been altered.

Is this normal? My 2020 Classic has a more gradual taper. I plan on taking it to my tech, but he is closed for another week and I'm a bit worried. The guitar was listed as mint, but I'm not sure if this is cause for return for a Reverb purchase. I'd rather not deal with a return so if it's an easy fix, I'd rather keep it.
Les Paul volume pots with abrupt taper, IME, are almost more of a standard feature than a returnable offense. If you’re batting .500, you’re winning. Can always try another pot. Bottom line, the pot works, just not how you ideally want it to. This is nothing to return a guitar over, IMO.

Slim Chance

Reaction score
No, not looking to return the guitar. I just never have encountered this before and I’ve many, but mostly Fenders. I know that I can replace pots and other electronics, but hate to do it in a new to me expensive Les Paul.

I will discuss with the tech before attempting any changes. Thanks for the advice.

BDW60

Reaction score
No, not looking to return the guitar. I just never have encountered this before and I’ve many, but mostly Fenders. I know that I can replace pots and other electronics, but hate to do it in a new to me expensive Les Paul.

I will discuss with the tech before attempting any changes. Thanks for the advice.
You just never know on this. The most usable volume and tone pots I’ve ever had are on a 1980 Greco LP. It is just a fantastic guitar. And I’ve owned a good number of historics and USAs ... at least 20 over the years. And I’m probably underestimating. Sometimes it gets my goat more than others.

Latest Threads