Lp special 1959 tv yellow production #

Dego

Reaction score
Hi all
First post ever; thx for welcoming me.
I am interested in a vintage 59 lp yellow doublecut. Its more in the investment side (plus some GaS)...
In order to make up my my in terms of how much it may retain /gain value, i was teying to discover how many were done in 59 (ideally also 58 and 60). Cant find the specific info despite strenous googling; anyone aware? Thanks

lumoder

Reaction score
Good question...
I don't know the numbers, but I believe Gibson produced TV yellow DC Special from 58 until early 63.

Dego

Reaction score
Thanks!
I agree
But the question is how many tv Dc special were made in those years. Eapecially in comparison to the cherry red ones...

Dego

Reaction score
Thats cool
Will try!
And will post here if i find out
Thanks!

Red Pharoah

Reaction score
Hi all
First post ever; thx for welcoming me.
I am interested in a vintage 59 lp yellow doublecut. Its more in the investment side (plus some GaS)...
In order to make up my my in terms of how much it may retain /gain value, i was teying to discover how many were done in 59 (ideally also 58 and 60). Cant find the specific info despite strenous googling; anyone aware? Thanks
A reasonable estimate suggests about 1200 double cutaways with Les Paul markings and 2000 double cutaways without Les Paul markings. These totals are for combined cherry and TV finishes. Gibson did not keep records of the different finishes separately until 1962 when it had the SG thin body. Here are the totals for 58 thru 60 for you...

58 - 958 both single and double cutaway
59 - 1821
60 - 1387

A total of 4166 from 58 - 60. (966 single cuts. 3200 double cuts roughly). As you can see the single cut is much rarer. Wish I had more info on the finish numbers but I do not. Hope this helps!

You also see rare single cutaways in 59. A 58 double cut would be the rarest double cut from 58 - 60 period. A 58 double cut with a TV finish sounds like a great investment!:welcome:

Based on the known finishes in 1962 and 1963, I would say the 59 - 60 period is about 3 cherry finish for every 1 TV finish. So doing the math here is my best guess...

1958 a few in cherry (#8 2944), nearly all in TV
1959 maybe 1366 in cherry, 455 in TV
1960 maybe 1040 in cherry, 347 in TV

Last edited:

hamerfan

Reaction score
I had a day off in Nashville in the beginning 90ies and entered Gruhn's with the thought of buying LP Special TV, because i liked the looks. I had the chance to to try several models, both double and single cuts. I remember to see sc and dc sound different and the prices of the TVs were much higher. I couldn't make up my mind at that time, the sc sounded better to me and the TVs were roughly a third more expensive. Don't laugh, but TVs were about 2500 USD at that time.

Last edited: