Lp pickup recommendations.

guitarmada

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am going to get my les paul standard 60s in a week, and I was wondering if I should look at replacing the stock pickups with something extra cool. I was thinking of either lollar imperials, lollar imperial low winds, or wolfetone dr. vintage.

Tonewise, I go for medium to high gain, with smooth distortion, partially from my amp and partially from pedals. I like to be able to get a nice warm and articulate clean, with good bass response, and then put gain on top of that, without anything getting too trebly. After a lot of experimenting with different guitars, I have found it best to let the guitar do what it is best at, instead of wanting to get tons of middling quality tones out of it. What would you recommend for an awesome pickup? I know this is subjective, but usually guys on guitar forums know what they are talking about, which is why I wanted to ask.

Thanks for any replies. Cheers.

Wailing

Reaction score
I tried to adjust the burstbuckers on my Standard for months... then I put a pair of Bareknuckle Peter Greens in... immediate heaven... my story fwiw

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock ones rock imho

-Chris

bum

Reaction score
Stay with stock for 6 months, if it's still an issue start researching.
Learn your guitar and how it interplays between you, your amp and your pedals. The tone you want is probably in there, replacement pickups like the ones you mentioned are all great but they are all pretty much an extension of what you'll be getting.
A £30 boost pedal can really make you stop and go 'wow' - as can a £40 EQ pedal or an hour sat with a good amp.
Enjoy and explore, Gibson make great guitars (despite what some of us old moaning gits say) so relax into it, put faith in what you bought and it will repay you in time.
If after 6 months it's still not right then rip the pickups out, join us moaning gits and then change em out :D

bum

Reaction score
Stuff like this gets posted often but it's true as hell

For example, my stage set up is designed so I never have to control gain or tone using pedals or swapping guitars, it's ALL done using the guitar knobs and pickup selection.
People forget those knobs are there for a reason and before we had pedals and multi channel amps they were the only way people could shape their tone on the fly, and having pedals and multi channel amps takes none of that power away, we just forgot about it, it's still there and still powerful - and it's free!

guitarmada

Reaction score
Not yet. I ordered it a month ago. It arrived at the shop while I was away for three weeks. Been sitting at the music shop for a while now. The flame top is ridiculously nice for a standard. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Benniator

Reaction score
I kept my ‘60s Standard stock for about a year, but I ended up replacing the Burstbucker 61s with some Fralin Pure PAFs. The stock pickups were fine, but a bit sterile. They didn’t wow me. The Fralins are way more dynamic.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I am a big proponent of replacing the pickups with aftermarket/boutique ones (Gibson’s pickups leave much to be desired compared to what is else available out there). But I agree with the wisdom above... leave it stock for now and get to know it first. Then you can make any changes you want based on actual experience with/knowledge of your guitar (and yourself in relation to your guitar). This will better inform any future pickup choice(s) you may make.

So basically, ask this question again in a few months. ;)

bum

Reaction score
I ended up putting Fralins in my Tele and Set Lovers in a Sheraton so I am well up for swaps, just some guitars do not need it, and you'll only find that out with a bit of time and noodling :)

ACEit

Reaction score
same here.... I try to adjust BB on my traditional for a year... up to swap different magnets... I improved them a bit but is some kind of cover short... when you reach some result in a department ( as tone ) some other still remain ..blah...
I swapped them with a set of BK mules... and now I prefer it to my R8 :cool:

Last edited:

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonewise, I go for medium to high gain, with smooth distortion, partially from my amp and partially from pedals. I like to be able to get a nice warm and articulate clean, with good bass response, and then put gain on top of that, without anything getting too trebly.
The BB pros that are in the Standards might just fit the bill you describe above very well.

Federico Valle

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am going to get my les paul standard 60s in a week, and I was wondering if I should look at replacing the stock pickups with something extra cool. I was thinking of either lollar imperials, lollar imperial low winds, or wolfetone dr. vintage.

Tonewise, I go for medium to high gain, with smooth distortion, partially from my amp and partially from pedals. I like to be able to get a nice warm and articulate clean, with good bass response, and then put gain on top of that, without anything getting too trebly. After a lot of experimenting with different guitars, I have found it best to let the guitar do what it is best at, instead of wanting to get tons of middling quality tones out of it. What would you recommend for an awesome pickup? I know this is subjective, but usually guys on guitar forums know what they are talking about, which is why I wanted to ask.

As many already said, first get familiar with the stock pickups. Each guitar has its own personality, and the pickups that work fine for a guitar may not do it for other. First analyze if there is something missing in the stock PUs that you can't get with a good setup, and with that reference you'll be able to look for what you need if you really need a PUs swap.
Hope this hepls you!

spidey

Reaction score

To me, what you describe is kind of what I was looking for, in addition, I was looking for less inherent humbucker compression in the lower end, and that led me to OG Gibson Burstbucker 1 and 2’s. These are not potted and have THE sound of Gibsons, to me. You can read up in them...they are a very lively pup with a huge range of sounds when you have a good sweep in the pots and a bumblebee or orange drop(that one can get quite quacky like a wah pedal)

59lespaulmann

Reaction score

Congrats on the new axe coming. Maybe try Tyson Tone Pafs he has a handful of Pafs he makes might be long wait though or Ian Anderson Pafs. Maybe a week wait time on these. Y

Latest Threads