LP P90 wiring issue with odd results...

Liquid State

Reaction score
hi,
have a '12 LP Jr. Special with 2 P90s - 2 tone, 2 volume. I put a BK P90 in the neck a long time ago, everything worked fine. I just dropped a Fralin noiseless P90 in the bridge and am having weird results. Both pick-ups use the standard braided connector.

What I ended up with:
old neck pick-up alone works great
new bridge pick-up alone works great
when pick-ups are combined and the bridge volume pot is at 10, the output volume actually decreases and the tone sounds out of phase. If I back the bridge volume off to 8-9 the volume increases and the tone becomes more full (not out of phase sounding anymore). note: this does not happen with the neck volume pot at 10.

any ideas???? thanks for the help

skelt101

Reaction score
It sounds like your pickups are wired out-of-phase in the middle position. On my Les Paul, the pickups are out-of-phase in the middle position (albeit with a magnet flip). If both volumes are on 10, the sound is thin and honky. If one of the volumes is backed off a number of two, a pseudo in-phase, i.e. normal, sound results.

Last edited:

Liquid State

Reaction score
thanks for the reply

interesting. The wiring is pretty straight forward, and have checked it like 10 times now. Not sure how I would swap wiring (positive and negative) on braided conductors.... Is it possible that the P90s from different manufacturers have magnet polarity flipped? I wonder if I should flip the magnets on one of the pickups. hmmmm

Liquid State

Reaction score
ok - as Inspector Clouseu would say "the case is sol-ved". Skelt, your reply got me going in the right direction

rotated (flipped is the wrong term) the magnets on the neck P90 (Bare Knuckle) and the out of phase on middle (combined pickups) position went away. All is good. :thumbs:

The Fralin in the bridge is noiseless, a bit more complicated construction and would have been tougher to swap around. It seems every project is really multiple projects with something new to learn.

Latest Threads