LP Modern Hardware- (weight weenies only)

diogoguitar

Reaction score
TL;DR: LP Modern bridge and tailpiece are incredibly lightweight

Today was string change day.. I had planned to swap the bridge/tailpiece of my LP Modern thinking I would save about 100g/0.2lb like i did on my LP Traditional.

Before I bought anything, I weighed the hardware while on my string change today, and surprisingly the bridge weighs only 30g (vs 60g on my traditional) and the tailpiece weighs only 34g (vs 90g my traditional). No wonder this is so resonant! This hardware is as light as it gets, then. If I recall correctly, this is as light as the Faber hardware I put on my LP traditional

Am I the only one who didn't know this??? lol

1632373974950.png

1632373951696.png

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
(Light) weight of parts is not the determining factor for great tone. I've added in a zamak tailpiece on several guitars to improve tone.

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats the stock heavier t/p that is current for the USA line normally - and was introduced in 1975 to replace the Al versions that were stock until then.

A guitar is a sum of its parts. It is not linearly defined by one or two aspects.

gball

Reaction score
(Light) weight of parts is not the determining factor for great tone. I've added in a zamak tailpiece on several guitars to improve tone.
I've done the same, sometimes it really fattens up the tone. I always try bridges and tailpieces of various materials on my guitars to see which individual parts and combinations of them sound best. I am sometimes surprised. Rarely do I prefer a lightweight bridge but often I prefer a lightweight tailpiece (not always though) and I have found that I always prefer steel studs, but I don't like a steel bridge or tailpiece.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I definitely agree about steel studs. Great way to get rid of a dull, thumpy bass! And I routinely replace aluminum parts with Zamac. Especially the TP.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I actually did the reverse and swapped out my lightweight 2020 Standard tailpiece for a Gibson heavier version. The heavier tailpiece is twice the weight of the light. I prefer the sound from the heavier piece. I'm goofy huh . .

Latest Threads