LP Modern Coil tap how good ?

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
HI guys, I would love to know what those of you who tried a Les Paul Modern are thinking of the Coiltap option. Does it really sound close to a good P90 ?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
From my experience, Humbuckers always sound weak with coil splits. A coil split turns one coil off, so half the output as a result.

In the drawing below, "single coil" refers to single coil pups typically found on Strats and Teles. A P-90 is also a single coil pup but much fatter sounding than a Strat or Tele single coil.

I think the geometry of each type of pup has a lot to do with how much area of the strings they "pick up" which contributes to why each type of pup sounds different from one another.

Also stacked single coils do not sound like Humbuckers to my ears, but they do cancel hum.

In my mind, there is no way a Strat or Tele single coil or a split Humbucker is going to sound exactly like a P-90. You can tweak the tone controls on the guitar and amp, but each pup still has its own distinct sound at the core.

Last edited:

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
I hear ( read ) you, Yet, I would like to get comment from Poeple who actually tried the new LEs Paul Modern. Gibson markets it calling the COil-Tap a P90 !

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
I am really interested because I often find my neck pup to dark compared to the bridge (LP Traditionnal with burstbuckers)

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
No, they absolutely don't sound like a P90 when splitted. Also not like a "common" singlecoil pickup. A P-90 has other characteristics.
The Duncan P-Rail indeed is a great pickup you could/should try out. Another pickup sounding like a P-90 would be a Bluesbucker from Dimarzio's line-up!

Did you already adjust the pickup-height?

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
If you have two of the same type pickups, one at the neck position and one at the bridge position, it's expected that the neck position pup will always sound darker than the bridge position pup due to its proximity being further away from the bridge.

Last edited:

DarrellV

Proud Member of the Golden Switch Tip Club
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, they absolutely don't sound like a P90 when splitted. Also not like a "common" singlecoil pickup. A P-90 has other characteristics.
The Duncan P-Rail indeed is a great pickup you could/should try out. Another pickup sounding like a P-90 would be a Bluesbucker from Dimarzio's line-up!

Did you already adjust the pickup-height?
This^^^^

I have a 2017 Studio Deluxe with coil splits on both pickups. They are Burstbuckers 2 and 5.

They do not have the girth or power of a P-90 when split.

I also have P-90s on my Classic Player LP.

They do have a chime and sparkle to them that I like as a clean player. They are bright and I often have to use the tone controls.

But they do not sound at all to me like a Fender , or Rickenbacker (close), or a P-90.

Much thinner and spikier than those.

But the loss of volume is real, as stated above, you are losing half of the windings.

IIRC a P-90 has 10,000 turns of wire and 2 magnets under it.

A split humbucker has 5000 turns and one magnet.

And as stated, the geometry (size of coil) is different.

Not ever going to sound the same.

A dark bridge pickup will likely still be dark, just softer in split position. With a little more spike in the high end.

I have found it doesn't add anything to the midrange or reduce the lows.

I have used mine in the middle position, both split, and roll off the neck volume a tad to balance it with the bright bridge pickup.

I have also sunk my neck pickup and raised the pole screws under the unwound strings to get a bit more high emphasis...

Tilting the pickup works too, by lowering just the bass side...

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have coil tapped 496r/500t and they sound really cool....
not like a p90....more like a fat tele....kind of a tab benoit tele than a p90 imho

I may be the only person with 496/500 split coils but they are hot and mean sounding when split...

-Chris

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
How would a classic 57 work at the neck with Burstbucker at btidge ?
Or soxuld I go P rail ?
classics work at the neck or middle...i a classsic and a plus as a middle pup on two 3 pup models....

I tend to rarely use the bridge pup so can only speak to neck and middle...

classic is fan freaking tastic at both imho

-Chris

Reaction score
The Modern doesn't have a true, normal coil split. That's why they call it a coil tap -- but it's not a true, normal tap either. So experiences with normal coil splits don't apply.

Normal splits turn off one coil entirely. The Modern's "coil tap" connects a resistor/cap filter to one coil. So you get the pure output from one coil (like a coil split), but the low end from the other coil is added in. So the output is a bit lower than full humbucking, but not as weak as a true coil split. And it's brighter and more focused than in pure humbucking, but not as thin as a true coil split.

I haven't heard them, so I have no idea if it sounds even vaguely P90-ish. Don't know how it compares to series/parallel, don't know how it compares to spin-a-split systems (sort of a related approach -- that lets you dial one of the coils all the way from full to partial to off).

Hebaton-SP

Reaction score
Is it me, my headphones are bad or is there barely any difference between the 57 and Bursbucker in that video ?

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
My first impression, based purely on the very tinny sound from my iPhone (!), was that (a) there’s very little in it and (b) I think I preferred the clean sound of the Burstbuckers and the overdrive sound of the ‘57 Classics — but, in truth, I really need to listen properly with some decent cans.
Overall, they both just sound like great humbucking Lester tones. Nice playing!
:dude:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Instead of the coil tap/split, try a series/parallel. It's a brighter-then-a-bucker-tone, without the hum and only slightly less volume then a split/tap. Think Gretsch-like.

Latest Threads