LP Jr. Billy Joe Armstrong on Reverb, scammed for the first time... Is it even legit?

zdoggie

Reaction score
no body should have to put up with others skewing the truth just another internet scam what a shame
keep reverb involved they maybe able to help you ,good luck

zdog

Tensjeek

Reaction score
You are totally right, but he sold other high end guitars and he showed me that arrived in good condition to the buyers in the US, and he had 2 5 star ratings... But you are right. He seemed to be a high scale collector... And I seemed to be too naive and confident.

I paid via Paypal
I had a similar incident although it was accidentally. Guy said everything worked on this Ovation 12 string. They did not work. Reverb had me contact the guy first. They said if he didn't help me that they would step in. Your's is a complete case of Fraud or bait switching!!!! Yes Reverb should help you. You also contact Paypal and filer a claim for fraud!!! Tell reverb that you will send THEM the guitar. if you are shit out of luck all around, which I doubt, then get the thing to a real LUTHIER who can totally REFURBISH the guitar... Good Luck. Will take some time but it will get resolved.

TheWhigs

Reaction score
My personal favorite is when they say their name is "John Christian" (on like telemarketing calls). I always say, "hold up now. Your name is not John and you are most certainly not Christian. What is your real name?" Answer is Vivek or something substantially more Indian. On the other end of the spectrum, my wife works in International software development and her name, Angie, is a near unprouncable word to Indians. They almost literally cannot say it (credit for many of them trying). Some names do not cross language barriers. If my name was an unprouncable word in Engilsh, and I were doing business in an Engilsh speaking country, I would probably pick "John Christian" also!

Try getting an Indian or Pakistani to say "Newark" or "Lafayette" (without saying it first)... :thumb:

I'm not being racist, my mom is Pakistani (so is my wife) and my dad is Indian which makes me South Asian as well. :p

Regarding Christian names for Indians. Actually there are a lot of Christian Indians who have "Christian" names like Ivan, Charles, etc. so while I don't know about this particular "Joshua", it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary.

lwchafin

Reaction score
That's egregious. I hope Reverb steps in and does what others here have said they will do in cases where a seller just flat out LIES about the guitar he's selling. I've bought "project" guitars from pawn shops for a song that were in that kind of condition (no Gibsons though). Of course you were trying to buy a Mint piece, but you could look at it like this - it's a pretty nice lightly reliced piece if you end up having to keep it - and at a bargain as reliced guitars go.

BTW, you have BOTH Reverb and Paypal in your corner to get this resolved.

Last edited:

jeffy

Reaction score
That’s what I thought. The compensated bridge in the pics doesn’t look angled. Can he be sure that his Jr is legit?
It looks angled to me. Though not as heavily as it normally would. I'm gonna guess the other worm screw is screwed in so it's straighter. The one in the pic is backed out all the way.

Here's the 2006 Product page for the BJA.

ivandolz

Reaction score
That's egregious. I hope Reverb steps in and does what others here have said they will do in cases where a seller just flat out LIES about the guitar he's selling. I've bought "project" guitars from pawn shops for a song that were in that kind of condition (no Gibsons though). Of course you were trying to buy a Mint
.piece, but you could look at it like this - it's a pretty nice lightly reliced piece if you end up having to keep it - and at a bargain as reliced guitars go.

BTW, you have BOTH Reverb and Paypal in your corner to get this resolved.
One of the main problems is the humidity it has suffered and the smell... If not, after half of the money refunded I might have tought of keeping it.

ivandolz

Reaction score
It looks angled to me. Though not as heavily as it normally would. I'm gonna guess the other worm screw is screwed in so it's straighter. The one in the pic is backed out all the way.

Here's the 2006 Product page for the BJA.
Bridge seems to be the correct one, then?

mrblooze

Reaction score
This conversation is surreal. You spoke with a guy who claimed his guitar was terrific, and you placed an international order on that basis? Unbelievable. No one deserves to get scammed, and Reverb should sort this out, but that move was massive personal irresponsibility on your part. As for arguing over the definition of mint, you are getting hilariously played. English is English, and there's no secret Indian English in which black means green, and mint means "in one piece." If you don't like the guitar, use Reverb to facilitate the return. Entering into an international transaction on such shaky grounds is too risky, IMO. It doesn't make any difference what the item is or how much you want it, because the transaction, particularly as you conducted it, is unsound. I'm sorry for your difficulty, because you are really being abused.
Actually, maybe this was the only smart way to risk such a thing, because it's almost certain that Reverb will stand with the buyer. They risk their own reputation if they don't. Shame on the seller for such an abuse, but I don't blame someone for taking a risk on Reverb. It ain't Craig's List, after all.

Still, sorry you have to deal with this kind of thing. What a hassle and disappointment...

jeffy

Reaction score
Bridge seems to be the correct one, then?
No, someone's swapped it with a compensated bridge. You can put a non-compensated bridge on a non-compensated guitar but then you have to adjust the screws to flatten it out.

rfrizz

Reaction score
Only one other poster has said this:
FRAUD!
I know the courts aren't an option in this case, but if they were, I don't think you would have too much trouble getting fraud and punitive damages.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Any word from Reverb on this? I would be concerned if they have not responded yet. My fear is that "Joshua" and your money have changed their account and are long gone. Does anyone know what kind of reach Reverb has to retrieve $ from foreign bank accounts?

Aus Rok

Reaction score
Mate, look at the serial number for the 1 on reverb & check yours. 2 different numbers mate. Not the same guitar

mrblooze

Reaction score
So, the seller finally approved the return... And the guitar is on its way there. Let's see how this unfolds!
Good luck! Again, I think it's a crime you have to deal with nonsense like this, but the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Reverb is the only safe (-ish) way to have taken a risk on a guitar like this. Too bad it didn't pan out the way you wanted...

Aus Rok

Reaction score
When I click on the link at " this is the ad on reverb " the B.J guitar that comes has a serial number that is 101092.

ivandolz

Reaction score
When I click on the link at " this is the ad on reverb " the B.J guitar that comes has a serial number that is 101092.
It shows similar guitars but not mine. I think you need to be logged to Reverb or maybe at this point only I can see it. The guitar looked perfect in the ad and has same serial number.

Latest Threads