LP Jr. Billy Joe Armstrong on Reverb, scammed for the first time... Is it even legit?

jeffy

Reaction score
I’m not sure but I think that the BJA Jr had the bridge at an angle and was not a lightning bolt bridge. Hard to tell from those pics but OP’s guitar might not be a legit BJA model.

Yup, it should have a non-compensated bridge and not the lightning bridge it had on it. There's more angle to the bridge because of the lack of compensation.

I'm wondering where all the rust is coming from. Everything else looks correct though. Looks real though from what I can see. The body looks to have the shelf at the neck joint. That's one way to easily spot a BJA. Only the BJA and Historics have that. I can't see enough of the inside of the case to see if it's a BJA case. Those were specific to the BJA. It should be leopard patterned and have the guy getting shocked (Warning) on the front of the case. The guitar's a pre-'09 that's for sure. The pre-'09s have the 3 on a plate tuners while the later models have 3 +3. Though I can't see the case, it should have a double strap handle instead of the single one that you see on most cases today. I'd rate that one as fair at best. It looks like it sat in someone's locker on a ship. It's nowhere near mint. That's a lot of wear and not from shipping. There's an ebony one on Reverb and eBay that looks nicer. The rarer one is the Alpine white though. Those have ebony fretboards and were discontinued earlier than the others. I've got a '09 sunburst, "Floyd". Nice to know they have appreciated in price though. Hope it all works out for you.

ivandolz

Reaction score
Yup, it should have a non-compensated bridge and not the lightning bridge it had on it. There's more angle to the bridge because of the lack of compensation.

I'm wondering where all the rust is coming from. Everything else looks correct though. Looks real though from what I can see. The body looks to have the shelf at the neck joint. That's one way to easily spot a BJA. Only the BJA and Historics have that. I can't see enough of the inside of the case to see if it's a BJA case. Those were specific to the BJA. It should be leopard patterned and have the guy getting shocked (Warning) on the front of the case. The guitar's a pre-'09 that's for sure. The pre-'09s have the 3 on a plate tuners while the later models have 3 +3. Though I can't see the case, it should have a double strap handle instead of the single one that you see on most cases today. I'd rate that one as fair at best. It looks like it sat in someone's locker on a ship. It's nowhere near mint. That's a lot of wear and not from shipping. There's an ebony one on Reverb and eBay that looks nicer. The rarer one is the Alpine white though. Those have ebony fretboards and were discontinued earlier than the others. I've got a '09 sunburst, "Floyd". Nice to know they have appreciated in price though. Hope it all works out for you.
I am not sure about the bridge in the 2006-2007 model by the pictures I have seen. The case is the real one, leopard and the warning sign. Thanks for your help!

jeffy

Reaction score
I am not sure about the bridge in the 2006-2007 model by the pictures I have seen. The case is the real one, leopard and the warning sign. Thanks for your help!
They should all have a non-compensated bridge. It's the reason why the BJA's bridge is angled more than the compensated Juniors.

flyingvguy

Reaction score
this happens all the time especially from india or any third world hell hole. their idea of mint is if it's not broken into pieces. if you look at the country or it's culture... you know this. i wish you luck in getting your cash back this guy obviously scammed you as that guitar is NOT mint at all. i would call that used. not even fair condition if you ask me. good luck sad to see people have to do this to each other.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
They should all have a non-compensated bridge. It's the reason why the BJA's bridge is angled more than the compensated Juniors.
That’s what I thought. The compensated bridge in the pics doesn’t look angled. Can he be sure that his Jr is legit?

Seabee

Reaction score
India that was a red flag right there. Havent dealt with enough customer reps from India. Sorry about your situation.

Bacchus2b

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reverb will have your back. I sold a mint condition 1990's Mesa Boogie combo on Reverb a couple of years ago. Documented all communication with the buyer who was really happy when he received it, then 47 days later he decided it wasn't working properly and he wanted a refund. Reverb tends to favor buyers, but they have a very specific policy in terms of how many days you have to file a dispute, and 47 days was way beyond. What if he had gigged with the amp every night while he had it? I even included an extra set of tubes for free....

Like you I've had nothing but positive experiences other than the one time. Good luck!!!

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
“Buckle rash on the back of the neck” would have been a red flag for me.

Nikki M

Reaction score
Saw your post in another forum also..just curious why you didnt ask for more photos before you completed the transaction..?

DBDM

Reaction score
File a dispute with Reverb and your credit card/paypal. this should be an open and shut case. Obviously you now know to get more info but many of us have been scammed by being anxious to get a guitar. All of that is past tense now. 2 things can happen here--1 is you get your money back. 2 is that you just learned a VERY expensive but valuable lesson. At my house we call that a "Stupid tax" (paying a price for doing something that in hindsight was not very wise). Some of life's best lessons come from paying the "Stupid Tax".

irocdave12

Reaction score
Man that guitar is hammered. Literally rode hard and put away wet. I’d lay you 10-1 odds his name isn’t actually Joshua either. Don’t think thats a real common name over there. I see this all the time on ebay where Asian buyers and sellers adopt a more American sounding name in hopes of better being able to do business with Americans. I consider that a red flag and don’t deal with anyone using an obvious alias as it complaicates matters when disputes arise

ivandolz

Reaction score
Man that guitar is hammered. Literally rode hard and put away wet. I’d lay you 10-1 odds his name isn’t actually Joshua either. Don’t think thats a real common name over there. I see this all the time on ebay where Asian buyers and sellers adopt a more American sounding name in hopes of better being able to do business with Americans. I consider that a red flag and don’t deal with anyone using an obvious alias as it complaicates matters when disputes arise
I asked him about he name actually, he told me he had a cristian name. Whatever...

ivandolz

Reaction score
Saw your post in another forum also..just curious why you didnt ask for more photos before you completed the transaction..?
DBDM explained well. I got overconfident after so many transactions. I saw he recently sold 2 guitar to the US with 5 stars rating. I chat with him and he seemed trustworthy. He has other offers, knowing I was coverred by Paypal and Reverb, I bought it. Not easy to fing a BJA with signature in tha back in that color in mint condition...

I basically screwed up.

DBDM

Reaction score
I asked him about he name actually, he told me he had a cristian name. Whatever...
My personal favorite is when they say their name is "John Christian" (on like telemarketing calls). I always say, "hold up now. Your name is not John and you are most certainly not Christian. What is your real name?" Answer is Vivek or something substantially more Indian. On the other end of the spectrum, my wife works in International software development and her name, Angie, is a near unprouncable word to Indians. They almost literally cannot say it (credit for many of them trying). Some names do not cross language barriers. If my name was an unprouncable word in Engilsh, and I were doing business in an Engilsh speaking country, I would probably pick "John Christian" also!

Latest Threads