LP Jr. Billy Joe Armstrong on Reverb, scammed for the first time... Is it even legit?

ivandolz

Reaction score
After 86 5 star positive transactions on Reverb... I got confident and got scammed for the first time.

I saw a guitar that I was chasing for a long time, a LP Jr 2007 Sunburst in Mint condition at $2,250. The pictures show a Mint guitar. I offered $2,100 after a long conversation with the seller to be sure about its condition, and he again said it was mint and had almost no playtime. There were 2 red flags... He only had 2 feedbacks (5 stars each) and he was from India, that is why I tried to be sure that the guitar was mint to avoid returns. But he seemed trustworthy and I went ahead.

The following pictures show the guitar I got. It smells very humid, it has a big ding that seems to be glued on the headstoch, scratches and bumps all around the guitar, rusted screws, blown top dot marks... Even the case is really beaten up. Pictures speak for themselves.

After contacting the seller and explaining him what Mint means by Reverb directions and that his guitar was in fair to good condition at best (3 steps below) I wanted a full refund and a shipping label. He refuses to refund saying that his shop policy is no returns and he does not care what Reverb says.

I already got Reverb involved. I even started doubting about its authenticity, so you may give me a hand? All seems legit except for BJA Signature that is yellow instead of white but I don't know. ALso the frets seem as they were scalloped or something, could it be humidity? The B string buzzes as it touches the first fret.

Thanks in advance for your help.
20210604_045536000_iOS.jpg

1bc9364d-d6bb-4d61-ae9b-dd05839070c0.jpg

b7b5301e-8c52-499e-ab24-310eb6900c34.jpg
09a61824-603b-4436-938b-7aeb86e6fc79.jpg
92e606eb-07f0-4fd2-8e1b-8428cf3be117.jpg
975f196a-8252-4aa5-992f-ec8b9761e780.jpg
65bdd6b3-1e4e-49c6-ad0d-11f4ebec4002.jpg
93b92fad-864f-4591-b6b9-48f0b4f2a6f9.jpg
2612e344-0e96-459f-b0e7-d613d04318a9.jpg
b29b6f2c-ba33-4548-aa08-eb8829062b6f.jpg
ceb81201-727b-41c7-93d9-93c39da9839c.jpg
d7d0a21e-8d3f-48a1-9241-c65821b542dd.jpg
7b91bbc7-1056-4ee2-bc5f-1431da6f7fae.jpg
7aa9675f-55fe-40ee-b3aa-18ccf4256c95.jpg

LP1865

Reaction score
The guitar looks legit, however the conditions is definitely not mint. In India, playable mean mint. You should get Reverb involved, and Paypal if thats what you payed via.

What I can't wrap my head around is why someone would buy a Gibson from India? Heck, i wouldn't buy a Gibson in India, and I live in India

ivandolz

Reaction score
The guitar looks legit, however the conditions is definitely not mint. In India, playable mean mint. You should get Reverb involved, and Paypal if thats what you payed via.

What I can't wrap my head around is why someone would buy a Gibson from India? Heck, i wouldn't buy a Gibson in India, and I live in India
You are totally right, but he sold other high end guitars and he showed me that arrived in good condition to the buyers in the US, and he had 2 5 star ratings... But you are right. He seemed to be a high scale collector... And I seemed to be too naive and confident.

I paid via Paypal

rabidhamster

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter whether it’s legit or anything, really, if it’s not as described and not as pictured just keep working with reverb for your refund.

Not that you asked but those Billie Joe LP Jrs blew out for like $600. They’re just base model Jrs unless you need to see his signature on the thing. $2250 is almost used custom shop territory, way better guitars.

ivandolz

Reaction score

ivandolz

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter whether it’s legit or anything, really, if it’s not as described and not as pictured just keep working with reverb for your refund.

Not that you asked but those Billie Joe LP Jrs blew out for like $600. They’re just base model Jrs unless you need to see his signature on the thing. $2250 is almost used custom shop territory, way better guitars.
I know, I have a collection and many other guitars. I wanted the 2007 BJA Signature that has his signature in the back and these ones if you read were very close to Historic Specs and pretty good guitars. The ones that are not so much value are the ones modern that have humbucker and do not have signature.

I have other player guitars, this was more for collectibles reasons... That now I regret.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Even though he said "mint" condition he also said "barely any dings or scratches". That right there would have been a HUGE red flag to me. "Mint" means "mint", I don't care where you're from.

I hope Reverb does the right thing and makes it good for you. The seller obviously misrepresented his product.

Digitus

Reaction score
Horrible description from seller.
Hopefully you can get a refund

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Are you able to post the Reverb ad? If the guitar pictured in the ad is different than what you received, you may have some recourse. Otherwise, no returns on a shop policy is pretty clear.
No returns won’t hold water with reverb if the item is not received as described. And reverb is more buyer friendly than seller friendly.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
absolutely not when the item has been mis-represented. If you don't get what you were told you would get, the seller really does not have a choice....Reverb will send the shipping label, refund the buyer and take it's own action against the seller.

Are you able to post the Reverb ad? If the guitar pictured in the ad is different than what you received, you may have some recourse. Otherwise, no returns on a shop policy is pretty clear.

Cory

Reaction score
No returns won’t hold water with reverb if the item is not received as described. And reverb is more buyer friendly than seller friendly.
Yup - had a similar experience (although not as dramatic as yours), but reverb has explicit definitions of what each rating means - “mint” in reverb terms means “brand new/unplayed condition, but not from an authorized seller” - so even if it had only 1 ding and the seller listed it as mint without disclosing any cosmetic issues in the posting, you will get all your money back including shipping costs - you’ll also be able to heavily negotiate a partial refund as well if you decide to keep the guitar - long story short, contact reverb and get them involved to mediate and you’ll be golden.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Reverb will most likely hold your back here… he will stand for all costs related to returning the guitar i believe

Hecubus

Reaction score
I can't see the original ad. I'll assume it shows a pristine guitar and case. Good luck trying to get your money back. Make sure Reverb accounts for your costs to ship it back to him. It sucks when you get excited about something and this happens.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Even when a shop has a no return policy a customer can insist on a return via Reverb within one week of receiving it. There is nothing he can do about that. Tell Reverb you insist he take it back and refund your money.

moreles

Reaction score
This conversation is surreal. You spoke with a guy who claimed his guitar was terrific, and you placed an international order on that basis? Unbelievable. No one deserves to get scammed, and Reverb should sort this out, but that move was massive personal irresponsibility on your part. As for arguing over the definition of mint, you are getting hilariously played. English is English, and there's no secret Indian English in which black means green, and mint means "in one piece." If you don't like the guitar, use Reverb to facilitate the return. Entering into an international transaction on such shaky grounds is too risky, IMO. It doesn't make any difference what the item is or how much you want it, because the transaction, particularly as you conducted it, is unsound. I'm sorry for your difficulty, because you are really being abused.

Rumy

Reaction score
That model is cool. I can see why you would like it in a collection. However, you bought it from a private seller in India? Not trying to sound flip, but I would not even entertain such a transaction. That's not to say foreign sellers are all bad, because that is just silly. Nonetheless, I always think, what If something goes wrong? Resolving it may not be that easy. Was the guitar to available anywhere in the U.S. at a price you could afford?

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I’m not sure but I think that the BJA Jr had the bridge at an angle and was not a lightning bolt bridge. Hard to tell from those pics but OP’s guitar might not be a legit BJA model.

Latest Threads