LP fam, am I missing an essential PU set?

theycallmegio

Reaction score
Hey MLP, I’m here looking for suggestions for any pickups that are tried and true classics in a Les Paul. I have a ‘21 custom that I’m going to replace the stock pickups on. I have a spare jb/59 in my closet and I don’t mind using this set but before I do I want to be sure I’m not missing out on another really cool pickup set.

here’s what I currently have in other LPs

Duncan Jb/jazz - love it

Dimarzio super d/59 classics - love it, this one is new for me. This set replaced the Duncan set that’s still hanging around. I loved the Duncans but wanted to try the dimarzio thing.

Tim Shaws - love these too, but I want something hotter like the two above.

I recognize it’s a fantastic opportunity to have another flavor of sound. I always fall back to 80s/90s rock/metal. I’d love to hear any suggestions for pickups that would fit at home between the Duncan’s and dimarzios I have.

I’ve heard a lot about suhr (Aldrich?) and bare knuckle but I don’t know which models I should be looking at. I’m interested in anything else y’all have to suggest.

Not interested in Gibson pickups or actives.

Any insights/suggestions are greatly appreciated

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells are superb in a Custom
I know from experience

Dilver

Reaction score
Waaaay too many aftermarket pickup choices to recommend just one and everyone’s got their favorite. None of them are bad; really just a matter of personal preference.

stephen78

Reaction score
Hey MLP, I’m here looking for suggestions for any pickups that are tried and true classics in a Les Paul. I have a ‘21 custom that I’m going to replace the stock pickups on. I have a spare jb/59 in my closet and I don’t mind using this set but before I do I want to be sure I’m not missing out on another really cool pickup set.

here’s what I currently have in other LPs

Duncan Jb/jazz - love it

Dimarzio super d/59 classics - love it, this one is new for me. This set replaced the Duncan set that’s still hanging around. I loved the Duncans but wanted to try the dimarzio thing.

Tim Shaws - love these too, but I want something hotter like the two above.

I recognize it’s a fantastic opportunity to have another flavor of sound. I always fall back to 80s/90s rock/metal. I’d love to hear any suggestions for pickups that would fit at home between the Duncan’s and dimarzios I have.

I’ve heard a lot about suhr (Aldrich?) and bare knuckle but I don’t know which models I should be looking at. I’m interested in anything else y’all have to suggest.

Not interested in Gibson pickups or actives.

Any insights/suggestions are greatly appreciated
Give these a try from a really great independent winder. They would fit the bill for what you are looking for. Also not expensive! Have them in my SG and love them:

bhurst462

Reaction score
I have a Jim Wagner Fillmore bridge in two of my Custom's. Fantastic pickup.

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
For sure, the Suhr Doug Aldrich would be an excellent choice for a Les Paul Custom (I have those in mine). They are hot, but don't seem as compressed as lower DCR pickups. Definitely adds more low mids, but doesn;t make them muddy. They clean up well, but also kick it out when called on.
I have a LP Standard with the JB/59 set and love that, but they don't have the sweet spot like the Suhr Aldrich.
I have a LP Traditional with Duncan Saturday Night Specials and those sound great as well, just nowhere near as powerful as the Aldrich or the JB.
Check out the ToneNerd vids on YouTube. Seems like some really cool options. Need more guitars to have more pickup options!

Last edited:

Latest Threads