LP Custom pickguard to Les Paul Traditional?

TaVa

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing the cream pickguard & mounting rings of my ebony LP Tradional to black ones. Anyone know if the 5-ply black pickguard of Les Paul Custom would fit my guitar? And if anyone has done such adjustments, it would be cool to see some photos. Thanks!

jon47715

Reaction score
i changed out all the cream plastic for black plastic on my traditional pro. but i used a solid black pickguard. i can't imagine that the custom one would fit differently.

jrnic

Reaction score
They should all fit equally no matter what color they are.

TaVa

Reaction score
They should all fit equally no matter what color they are.

Yeah, but I thought the Custom 5-ply pickguard is a little different from the plain one. Not sure, though.

Any photos of the Traditional pro with all-black plastic by the way?

jfm07

Reaction score
Yeah, but I thought the Custom 5-ply pickguard is a little different from the plain one.
Yeah, I think being 5-ply vis a single piece is the only real difference. Here's one on the JB Studio.
LPSJBGBCH1-Glam-Shot.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
There are many different pickguards with different specs.

Gibson Part numbers (the measurements represent the distance between the pup rings)

PRPG-01 is for a Studio
PRPG-020 is for a Custom approx 60mm
PRPG-030 is for a Standard approx 58mm

FYI, PRPG-080 is 75mm for a ’56 GT with P-90s. Sad thing is this is the description for this product on the BestBuy website “ This pickguard is compatible with most Gibson Les Paul guitars and features a crème design for a classic look” What a crock.

Make sure you get the correct one

jfm07

Reaction score
Good catch, Tone Def! :cheers:

I measured my Studio and it measured 60mm between pups so, apparently, the Custom 5-ply would be an easy swap as in the JB Studio.

TaVa- Sounds like you need to measure to confirm the correct fit. Sorry for the incomplete info. :(

Tone deaf

Reaction score
It wasn't so much a good catch as it was coincidence that I had been looking into pickguards for another thread.

Hedcrash

Reaction score
Not that this helps much, but I put a 5-ply LP Custom pickguard on my Studio without any trouble whatsoever.

bgfthntr

Reaction score
Yeah, but I thought the Custom 5-ply pickguard is a little different from the plain one. Not sure, though.

Any photos of the Traditional pro with all-black plastic by the way?

Here you go....

Although it's a 1995 Standard it essentially the the same guitar except pups.

Attachments

• P7180540 - Copy.jpg
    P7180540 - Copy.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 114

Les Page

Reaction score
No, the custom PG does not fit on the trad. At least it doesn't work for me.

davidn_smith

Reaction score
Been there, done that!! Got a new Ebony trad and the first thing I did was change the Gold/Cream to black. The standard Custom guard will probably fit, but it's a) 5 ply and b) it's black and WHITE!! Got a new 3ply Black Cream Black from WD parts that fits perfectly and matches the cream binding more closely than the Gibson ones do.

Latest Threads