LP Custom pick ups...replace with?

defcrew

Reaction score
I have an 08 Alpine White Custom with the stock pups in it and I'm just not too crazy about them. It is my only "modern" LP...the others are Historics with either p90s or Burstbuckers. The stock ones in the Custom sound a bit "rock" to me. Some folks say this about the BBs but I like them in my 54 JB model a lot. I am a bit of a bluesy type player I guess you'd say. The tone I get with the Custom feels a little mid-rangy, boxy. Might be more suitable for a heavier rock sound? The guitar itself is superb, however, I am considering either finding some other pups or selling it. Advice? Thx in advance.:)

Ides of March

Reaction score
Don't sell it. I changed the pickups in my 11 Custom to the SD JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. I play heavier stuff but I like the sound and I'm not changing them. I'm actually thinking of putting the same SD's in my 12 Standard as well. I like them that much.

splatter

Reaction score
What kind of tone are you looking for ? A brighter sound ?

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Pop in a set of Burstbuckers, 500k audio volume pots, wire her up 50s and you're good. Or get 57s or whatever buckers float your boat.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Check out some of the winders on the site,
Rewinds from member Cooljuk,
MHDs from Rayne, (he generally does hot stuff, but has some nice vintage style stuff too),
Skatterbrane, etc.

Edit: oh yeah, you would have to get the Skatterbranes used I would imagine.

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
MHDs from Rayne, (he generally does hot stuff, but has some nice vintage style stuff too),
Skatterbrane, etc.

What happened to Skatterbrane?

Jakeislove

Reaction score
Skatterbrane, etc.

He's still winding pickups.

defcrew

Reaction score
What kind of tone are you looking for ? A brighter sound ?

I guess that is the million dollar question. Not necessarily brighter but less overdriven, I guess, or maybe "harsh" sounding. The BBs are kind of hot themselves, I suppose, but I like them in the one guitar I have them in. The neck in the Custom isn't bad but there is sort of a lack of clarity with them. Maybe brighter is the ticket. So hard to describe sound with words. I used to crack up reading guys at TGP talk about "haunting mids." Tone wise I guess more of a Mick Taylor, ABB type tone relative to, say Slash or Randy Rhodes or anything in that direction. I find the Customs a little less ergonomically friendly relative to the Historics for some reason. Probably just familiarity. It is a slight bit lighter.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Replacements are endless, what are you looking for that the stockers don't do for you?

Aymara

Reaction score
Go to a shop and test a Signature T and then tell us, what you think of those Open Coil 57 Classics ... might be exactly, what you're searching for.

defcrew

Reaction score
Go to a shop and test a Signature T and then tell us, what you think of those Open Coil 57 Classics ... might be exactly, what you're searching for.

Been studying up on youtube a bit. The 57s sound pretty good to me but it is hard to tell how guys have the amps set at times. Really nice youtube comparing SD Antiguities and Burst Buckers as well as latter and the 490 whatever series that comes with the Custom. Looking at Fralins and Lollars as well. Would kind of like to keep the trad appearance of the Custom, i.e., gold covers.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting pickup height and pole pieces yet?

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
Just lower the adjustable screws a little at a time...this will kill some of the harshness. Then adjust the pickup to get the output you are looking for. You'd be surprised at the difference small adjustments can make.

defcrew

Reaction score
I'll try it. Thanks. Def more player than tech...not to say I'm a great player but my tech abilities are pretty much chimpanzee level.

Latest Threads