LP Custom 57 vs 68 price difference

Dmcguitar

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the 2 pickup 57 is $900 more than the 68 less Paul custom? Most posts comparing the two talk about features and tone, but other than a much profile, solid mahogany (or maple cap) tuners and knobs, I don’t see much difference ( especially that would make the price jump). Is there something not listed that is “better” on the 57? Is it the gloss vs VOS finish?

I can clearly see differences in r7,r8 and. R9 that would charge more. just looking to get the most info as I hunt for an LP.
Thanks!

Last edited:

bluefrog

Reaction score
It 's the market what drive prices, but the concept difference as I know is:
the 57 is full mahagony body tends to be darker
the 68 has a maple cap under the black finish tends to be brighter , maybe more weight.
maple cap= extra cost but less in price?

Dmcguitar

Reaction score
With r8 and r9 the flames tops are generally nicer, so I get why they charge more, in addition to desirability.
If it is purely a market/ desirability thing, is there some mojo behind the 57 that would make it more desirable? (And prices I’m only considering what they sell)

Dmcguitar

Reaction score
59 and 60 both have flames (nicer). And are 6500 new.
58 are “plain top” but occasionally have figure in the top and are 5000 new.
there are some aesthetic differences like knobs and the neck is different, but they both use light weight mahogany.
A 57 gold top (R7) has a painted plain maple and is 4700 new ( I assume less than 58 since it can be ugly maple and desirability)

With LP customs
A “standard” is 4700, and it’s hog and maple, but weight relieved
A 68 is 5800 also hog and maple but I think light weight ( like all reissues) and gloss
A 57 is 6700 and all hog, light weight, VOS finish.

Dmcguitar

Reaction score
I

Isn't it R0 and R9?
Yes I wrote a really long reply, since my original message can be read wrong.
I meant in regards to a price difference with R8 and R9 the R9 has a nicer top and that’s most of the reason for price difference, not desirability

KBMelb

Reaction score
There is a maunufacturing difference that i think factors heavily in to the price also. A '68 is maple capped and therefore falls in to the standard process of routing the wiring channel before the maple cap is applied which happens to every other Les Paul that isn't a '57 LPC reissue and '57s need to be drilled from jack to switch. So a '57 Black Beauty (or CC#22, JP '60. '54r LPC, etc) is the only model that gets this treatment so it's subjected to a mark up.

I also do believe What Tim said about desirability comes into play in the $900 mark up too.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
There is a maunufacturing difference that i think factors heavily in to the price also. A '68 is maple capped and therefore falls in to the standard process of routing the wiring channel before the maple cap is applied which happens to every other Les Paul that isn't a '57 LPC reissue and '57s need to be drilled from jack to switch. So a '57 Black Beauty (or CC#22, JP '60. '54r LPC, etc) is the only model that gets this treatment so it's subjected to a mark up.

I also do believe What Tim said about desirability comes into play in the $900 mark up too.
Yep, that's part of it.

Another factor is the added thickness. Big hunks of high quality mahogany are expensive -- that's why regular Gibson USA models are usually 2 or 3 pieces. The added labor cost of gluing up pieces is less than the cost difference between big vs little pieces.

BSeneca

Reaction score
All these responses are correct. I used to sell Gibson in the late 90‘s early 2000’s. I sold my a buddy a triple pickup R7 black beauty. I later bought it from him and since sold it ( regrettable). I will say the all mahogany body does sound darker and nastier. The best Custom I ever owned. Is it worth the difference in price? No. But I would never pay the new prices. I’ve bought ALL my vintage Gibson’s for less individuality than the new R9’s. But there is a difference

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
As others said, pretty sure it is about having a one piece solid mahogany body, vs the maple cap of the 68RI. The 57 Custom is the only carved top reissue with the one-piece mahogany body if I’m not mistaken, so it’s very unique and there are a lot fewer out there than 68RIs, which seem to be much more common. I had a 2-pickup 57RI LPC and it was an amazing guitar with a distinct tone of its own. I wish I didn’t have to sell it, but at the time I did. Between the two I kept my 68RI because I slightly prefer the brighter more cutting tone but the 57 was truly awesome as well. Just depends on what tone you prefer. Or get them both :)

Tim Plains

Reaction score
The 57 Custom is the only carved top reissue with the one-piece mahogany body if I’m not mistaken, so it’s very unique and there are a lot fewer out there than 68RIs, which seem to be much more common.
R4 and R5 Customs, too. 68s are made in much lower quantities. Granted, mine is a bit older (2010) but it took about three months for Gibson to get 25 orders and make a batch back then.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
R4 and R5 Customs, too. 68s are made in much lower quantities. Granted, mine is a bit older (2010) but it took about three months for Gibson to get 25 orders and make a batch back then.
Thanks for the correction. But regarding the 68s, they are all over Reverb, Guitar Center even did a big run of them in tribust a while back. I don’t see nearly as many 57 Customs. But in more recent years it seems about even.

ptgold

Reaction score
Anyone else here prefer the old 68 RIs (vos with nickel hardware), to the new ones?

ptgold

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. But regarding the 68s, they are all over Reverb, Guitar Center even did a big run of them in tribust a while back. I don’t see nearly as many 57 Customs. But in more recent years it seems about even.
Those old ones are currently SUPER overpriced on reverb too.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
Could it have anything to do with the fact that the 68 is a reissue of a Norlin era LP? Just guessing here.

Armenfish

Reaction score
My next one will be a LPC (my first one), i’m going for the ‘57 reissue, but i’m really tempted for a ‘73 (or 70’s) vintage....

iguess th 57 has a thicker neck, and i like that...

Latest Threads