LP Classic repaired neck - go or no go?

darkvoice

Reaction score
I was offered a Gibson LP Classic 2020 model with repaired area right where head and neck meet. They did a nice job and it looks barely noticeable. It looks almost Epiphone scarf joint. I think I can live with the repair.

Because of the repair the guitar is at significant discount - I can buy it for $1000 (this same model retails for $2300, I also checked used prices and they start around $1500). Besides this repair the guitar is in excellent condition and all components are original.

This looks like a very tempting deal to me.

Should I pull the trigger?

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love neck repairs if done properly…
but they require a huge discount

my es lp was repaired [perfectly imho]…
I got just over a grand off if memory serves…
it was also brand new and had been dropped while unpacking
and it’s the best repair I own

-chris

796EBE2D-B510-4F8B-8B77-86E54CE0F0C0.jpeg
EFD30393-858B-4EDE-BAF7-59067FEE6370.jpeg

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
I think $1k for headstock repaired Classic is decent, and you'd be getting a lot of guitar at that price. Any pictures?

It's amazing how much a headstock break/repair devalues a guitar, considering how many repairs are done very well, structurally and with the finish. Many years ago I had a headstock repair done, with dowels, on a USA Hamer Special for about $100. This was complete decapitation, not just a crack. I never once worried that it would break again under normal use. If anything the dowels made it stronger.

Just about anything neck related really hurts the resale value of a guitar.

mjross

Reaction score
May hurt resale only if you intend to sell it! Otherwise, very good value! If I was to sell the only one I have it would be for a reasonable price but would not sell it cheap, too good of a guitar. If that would not work for the prospective buyer, theres other guitars out there, keep looking. If the headstock was repaired properly it’s still a great guitar!

If you do not intend to flip, and the repair was done properly I think it would be a good value!

02CT

Reaction score
I always wonder about the studio guitars--- since they are painted black laquer a good repair job could be 100% hidden

darkvoice

Reaction score
Thank you for all who replied!

I think my OP was a bit confusing. Just to clarify - $1000 it not a discount, seller is willing to let it go for $1000. So, 2020 LP Classic with repaired neck for $1K.

I think this is a good value, I should be able to find a buyer around this price if I decide to sell it.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all who replied!

I think my OP was a bit confusing. Just to clarify - $1000 it not a discount, seller is willing to let it go for $1000. So, 2020 LP Classic with repaired neck for $1K.

I think this is a good value, I should be able to find a buyer around this price if I decide to sell it.

that’s a steal imho
killer deal…at least for me…classics are my favorite models….getting a 2020 for a grand is ridiculous

-chris

truckermde

Reaction score
No way, man!

What's that guy's number?

Just kidding. I'd go for it if the repair is sound. Sounds like a killer deal!

Awaiting pics, and NGD thread...

:cheers2:

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
I was offered a Gibson LP Classic 2020 model with repaired area right where head and neck meet. They did a nice job and it looks barely noticeable. It looks almost Epiphone scarf joint. I think I can live with the repair.

Because of the repair the guitar is at significant discount - I can buy it for $1000 (this same model retails for $2300, I also checked used prices and they start around $1500). Besides this repair the guitar is in excellent condition and all components are original.

This looks like a very tempting deal to me.

Should I pull the trigger?

yes, I would. Neck repair wouldn't bother me if it was done right and the price was right (which it is)

joseph07081

Reaction score
I would not hesitate at that price. I have a 2020 Les Paul Classic Honey Burst and it is my favorite guitar. If the need ever comes up (and it may), this will be the last one that I sell off.

Latest Threads