LP-C style kits advice and suggestions

Led747

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I am thinking of working on a medium term project to cut my teeth on a set neck guitar (my long term vision is to build a highly customized explorer), and have had the idea rattling around to build a LP Custom style instrument. The vision is to stain it a very nice blue color, with white 7 ply binding, and high output electronics. Something I could take out and about so that my main 2014 Gibson LPC can stay safe at home. I know about Precision Guitars and their kits, and plan on using them for my future project, but would like something more entry level in price. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for an entry level kit that isn't shoddy for a 7-ply maple capped LPC style guitar? I'd like something at least pretty close to the open book headstock.

2. Does anyone have recs on a source for a custom headstock veneer? The idea is to have a headstock inlay and label with my name and some custom design. I do have access to a CNC to cut out an inlay, but would like the veneer option if I think it is better fit for my skills.

3. DO you have any preferred dyes? I might go easy on the clear and give the body a more open finish with dyes. I would use blue for the body, and some black for the fretboard to give it an ebony look. I've attached a mock up below.

Thanks everyone for the advice, and rock on \m/ !
1608395717304.png

cmjohnson

Reaction score
For dyes, get them from Luthier's Mercantile. Although I've made extensive use of Feibing's leather dyes, some colors are not lightfast and will fade. The turqoise, which looked incredible when I used on one of my guitars, faded pretty quickly which was a big disappointment. The LMII dyes don't fade.

Don't cheap out on the kit. There are many stories of people getting a cheap Chinese kit and discovering that basically NOTHING was right about the kit and extensive rework was required to make a well fitted, good playing guitar with proper intonation and action.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I can't state that clearly enough. Buy quality, get quality. Buy cheap, get cheap stuff.

See my avatar? Custom inlaid headstock overlay provided by www.custominlay.com which also is my inlaid fingerboard supplier. I highly recommend them. Send them your artwork in a vector format, tell them what size you want it to be, pick your headstock veneer species or send in your own pieces, and they'll do it in any inlay material they have on hand or that you provide, as long as they can work with it.

Led747

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Asides from Precision, are there any other makers in the league that you know of/would recommend? Where would BYO guitars fall? At first glance they seem to have most of what I am looking for, but am not sure if they are MIC, or are closer to MIJ in quality. Thanks again! \m/

truckermde

Reaction score
Pretty high quality.
They are built in the US.
Also try Solo Guitar Kits
Agree.

I had a BYO DCJR, and it was actually pretty sweet. Dirt cheap, too. The hardware was junk, but the guitar itself was a quality piece, and the neck angle was great, tenon fit was tight... Altogether an easy assembly.

Led747

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback, this has been very helpful in figuring out my next steps. For a stain like what I have above, would an oil finish clear coat be the best option, and if so, does anyone have any recommended brands, tips, and tricks? Thanks and \m/!

tmpphx

Reaction score
Hi, my name is tom paul. If yo u do a search here you will find me from about 9 years ago. The search brings up about 10 pgs but if you wade through it, you will get a fair sense of who I am and what I do. I have a few things in the vein of what I did before and am kind of back now that i have time (covid) and some materials have come my way. I welcome enquiries....

Ace1

Reaction score
Just to follow up on what the others have said, I would not cheap out on the kit if you are going to go to all the effort to do this. Especially if you want it to be a suitable replacement for your Gibson LP Custom.

I did a LP custom style axcess kit from precision. Here's a pic:

Attachments

voices

Reaction score
Tom Bartlett sells the Holly veneer for headstock overlays.

Latest Threads