LP and "Stand Stain"

Reaction score
In reading through the little booklet included with my traditional, it clearly states not to leave your LP on a stand, but rather just use it for temporary storage as it can stain the wood itself with 'toxins' found in the rubber/foam of the stands.

Anyone unlucky enough to see this happen or is it just to error on the side of caution?

rob9

Reaction score
it has happened to people on this forum, the nitro finish reacts with the rubber of the stand over time and can (will) cause some discolouration in the finish

Knarbens

Reaction score
A solution could be simply wrapping some cloths around the areas of the stand that contect the guitars finish!?

edselman

Reaction score
My Traditional has been sitting on an "On Stage" brand stand for a year and a half with no problems whatsoever.

Reaction score
I think to be safe i'm gonna put some socks over the foam. Do you guys like to keep the guitar your currently playing in a stand or in the case?

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think to be safe i'm gonna put some socks over the foam. Do you guys like to keep the guitar your currently playing in a stand or in the case?
I keep 5 of my 7 guitars on a stand.
The 2 I hardly ever play are kept in cases.
But then, none of my guitars have a nitro finish.

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;1909583 said:
I keep 5 of my 7 guitars on a stand.
The 2 I hardly ever play are kept in cases.
But then, none of my guitars have a nitro finish.

wow, nice guitars man, really nice!

As an aside, do you use the ninja swords to take off excess build up from the fret board :laugh2:

capthowdy

Reaction score
Yep, happened to my 01 std - the finish was eaten away in a couple of spots, right through to the wood. Covering the padding on the stand with cotton stops it from happening. It only happens on nitro finishes - poly finishes are fine.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
As an aside, do you use the ninja swords to take off excess build up from the fret board :laugh2:
I would expect he uses them on those that touch his guitars without permission. Nothing like a nice Katana or Wakizashi to keep unruly people in line! :D

David

cynic79

Reaction score
Yep, happened to my 01 std - the finish was eaten away in a couple of spots, right through to the wood. Covering the padding on the stand with cotton stops it from happening. It only happens on nitro finishes - poly finishes are fine.
I've seen this with a couple of guitars, although I've been careful enough with mine that it hasn't happened. All you need to do is cut up an old cotton pillow case or towel and drape it over the parts of the stand that your guitar touches. Sew it if you want the whole thing to look nice.

Hemply

Reaction score
I've kept my guitars on stands for years at a time and have not seen any damage done by the rubber from the stand, but that's not to say it hasn't happened to others. I'm wondering how environmental factors figure into this eqasion?

capthowdy

Reaction score
I've kept my guitars on stands for years at a time and have not seen any damage done by the rubber from the stand, but that's not to say it hasn't happened to others. I'm wondering how environmental factors figure into this eqasion?
I've never read of enviromental factors coming into it - only that the foam padding causes a chemical reaction against the nitro. Doesn't bother me really, though - I look at it as being a bit of 'murphy-lite'. Still, don't want it happening to my R0, hence the cotton.

River

Reaction score
Hemp tar is an effective natural protectant.

I think humidity plays a big role in all things related to nitro lacquer.

Hamtone

Reaction score
My old studio turned pink on the bottom and back from the case anything is possible Just put socks on your stand and it will all good

River

Reaction score
does anyone have a pic of a "stand-damaged" les paul? :hmm:
I've seen 'em here. You'd have to search through a gazillion "stand-stain" threads though. :thumb:

It definitely happens. The effect is similar to that of putting a drop of lacquer thinner on the contact point.

Satch0922

Reaction score
Has happened to me too. The nitro turns really soft and then its gone!

Latest Threads