lower strap button - is this normal??

vincentg

Reaction score
Hi,

New on here - recently got a new Les Paul (2007 faded, but new from shop) after a fair bit of searching for one that felt right. I had an ebony standard a good few years back - built in 1991. I stupidly let that go at a time when I'd become disappointed with bands and music... keeping my fender strat instead (probably sacrilegious saying that on here!). I've been wanting a replacement for a couple of years now and was over the moon to finally get one... until the following!

Firstly, the lower volume knob was pressing into the maple cap (didn't notice that in shop... probably as I'd been trying out too many Pauls by that point!). The pot shaft is not raised high enough - and the knob has left a mark in the maple. As it's not noticeable with the knob fitted I thought I'd get it sorted myself - the guitar needs setting up properly anyway.

But then I went to replace the standard strap buttons with a set of Schaller locking ones, as I'd fitted to my previous les paul. I found what looks to be a blue plastic plug in the hole for the lower strap button screw (or is it a hardened blue glue?). It protrudes a degree so the original strap button didn't fit flush to the body.

Is this blue thing normal now? Or has there been a second factory mistake when finishing my guitar? On my previous paul the screw went straight into the wood. I'm hoping it's normal or I'll be more than a little disappointed.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I'm betting the knob thing happened during shipping. The strap button hole is a mystery to me, but I don't have any USA Gibsons newer than '04...

Lemonhead

Reaction score
That blue anchor is normal for Production LPs.

moff40

Reaction score
That blue anchor is normal for Production LPs.

They really do it like that now? I recently bought a new Faded DC that didn't have that. Mind you, it was NOS, made in '05.

If that's new new method, it looks awful IMHO - it looks kinds chintzy - more like a bad repair done by an inexperienced person, using a drywall anchor instead of filling the hole with wood.

Hexa

Reaction score
I have a '07 Faded and it doesn't have the blue plastic plug. The strap plug goes straight in the wood. From your picture, it looks like the mahogany is chipped a little around the blue plastic... could that be a repair?

marc1kim

Reaction score
The blue thing is normal, all production lesters will have this.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score

New?!? I don't have a single Gibson with that. :shock: I have a few... Like I said, I don't have any newer than '04. When did they start doing this?

axepilot

Reaction score

I have a 2001 Studio Plus and a 2006 Standard LE - neither one have any kind of blue sleeve or anchor on the pegs. The screw goes straight into the wood. From the OP's pic, that looks like a sheet rock anchor jammed into the hole.............................somebody cloodged the job.

Ed B

Reaction score
i have an 08 custom and that is not in my guitar. it looks like a drywall anchor. thats awful!!

axepilot

Reaction score
i have an 08 custom and that is not in my guitar. it looks like a drywall anchor. thats awful!!

Yeah, I'm no major Gibson historian, but I've played my share of Gibsons over the years............................and I've never seen a single Gibson that uses a sheet rock anchor for the strap peg.

That...................is a jury rigged fix, and a bad one.

drewbertca

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My BFG has one too....it's not as thick though....looks like an anchor....but a little fancier than a drywall anchor

Ed B

Reaction score
wow. thats weird.

did a disgruntled employee hide the smaller drill bits and place anchors all over the shop? ouch

drewbertca

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't look as noticeable as that one.....I do know from experience that plastic doesn't strip out as easy as wood...

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Send it back....or keep it.
confused.jpg

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I have a 2008 std faded, it doesn't have that blue thing, it's plain wood.
If I were you, I'd return it. Looks like a fix, a bad one.

shotgunlew

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hmm Id bring it back and see if they will give you a discount

vincentg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - they're appreciated.

Frankly I'm just bemused how Gibson could make a mistake fitting something as straightforward as a strap button... and why they would use a plastic wall plug to bodge the repair!

I was vainly hoping the plug might have something to do with cutting so much mahogany out present day models (the screw perhaps not biting if its tip passed through the wood that's left). I've emailed their European customer service dept - I'd like to think I'll get some kind of response and I'll try the US if I don't.

I don't know how I feel about the guitar at the moment or what to do with it. It was a gift from my folks so it's more valuable to me than just the block of wood (and plastic!) that it really is.

Mauro Pavanelli

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

OH MY GOD! This blue thing is just some kind of epoxi glue. I use the same one when I intaled the schaller strap lock using toothpicks method dipped in that kind of "blue thing". It just prove the extra care from Gibson with the instalation of the strap posts.

goby

Reaction score
The blue thing is normal!! It is not a botched job!!! Many lp's have it! Mine does!

Latest Threads