Low Wattage Tube Amps for Practice

Noir

Reaction score
For home practice I use Yamaha THR 30w. Brilliant little thing and great to jam along the music.
Also use Marshall mini Jubilee on 5w mode and Fender SR TM, works decent on low volume.
Marshall begs to be unleashed but not bad at low volume.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the correct design, I have found tube amps to be absolutely viable for low volume and good sound (albeit sometimes on the pricey side). The Marshall 50th Annies, Carr Mercury (original), Carr Mercury V, Carr Skylark, and independent builders like Carl's Custom Amps, Phaez, @V2 the Marshall 4001 (Studio 15) and so on

moreles

Reaction score
Princeton is way too loud for truly low volume home use. I had the Blackstar 1-watter and thought it sounded horrible, like an imitation of a real amp. This was not due to speaker size, which is not the issue, but a product of the amp design itself. It suggests, but does not actually create, great tones. It is not inspiring to play, I totally disagree with those who claim that an 8" speaker (or a 10) cannot give you great tone. Certainly, some of them are indeed crappy, including various big names, but there are others that deliver really good tones. IMO, small speakers have some virtues of their own, and I really like the way they seem to match up with the actual volume (air volume) of a smaller room and do not feel throttled at low volume, giving a free, responsive feel to the player. I play a "blackfaced" silver-face Champ with a 5751 in V1 and a Weber speaker and it doesn't just sound "OK for a small amp" -- it sounds wonderful. If I weren't happy with this rig, or needed an even lower-volume system, I'd probably be looking at solid state options.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I have posted about using a Bugera G5 that can be dialed down to .1 watt. When played through a decent speaker (I suggest a 1X12 ) one can get all the tube amp tones at low volume. The amp head has settings of 5W, 1W. and .1W. In my music room, I use the 1W setting. I go there to play, and I ask my wife how she felt about it. She said “how did I feel about what”? She could not hear any of it at all! Now my wife is not a musician or a singer. And I think this is good. She can;t play the radio, and admits this. I wouldn’t want to be married to another guitar player. We’d be up all night with her saying “ now just listen to this!”.

Latest Threads