Low wattage 1X12 cab opinions

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is another one I'm scared to ask.
Trust me, I've "searched" myself to the point that I now know less than I did when I started. Just when I think I'm on the right track, opinions say otherwise.

Trying to settle on a medium priced, semi-decent 1X12 cab to go immediately with a Blackstar HT5RH, an extension for a Super Champ X2 and hopefully in the future for a DSL15H.

Mainly bedroom, but usable in a jam or small gig if mic'd.
No stadiums on the itinerary!:D
Mainly clean.

Greenback, Creamback, seventy 80, V30 .......confusing!

Many cab descriptions don't even last the exact speaker "Celestion loaded"

I started in the HT112, HTV112, SC 112, MX112 category.
I really wanted to be sold on the MX112, but I can't get there.

Are all of the above just a waste of time and money???
....or If I'm not leaving the neighborhood anytime soon, would I be fine?

Hughes and Kettner 112 and the black Orange PPC112 are my pick if I need to go up a notch.

I'm lost!

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Traynor makes a 1x12 that is designed to accompany their Dark Horse amp. It has a Greenback in it. The cabs are made in Canada, are available at good prices, and Traynor's stuff is bulletproof. They also carry one of the best warranties in the business (ten years on cabs if I remember correctly, and their amps carry an 'even if you break it' warranty which means that you could pull a Pete Townshend and they would repair your amp under warranty).

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/horses/product/dhx12/

d2_racing

Reaction score
Yeah avatar 1x12 and use a Celestion creamback G12M-65.

Enough power to handle a 50w amp and it's a 65w speaker, so you can stay with a 1x12 configuration even with a big Marshall head.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I'd go a 25W Greenback for the HT5RH/DSL15H, if you want the sound of it being worked, at lower volume. I use an attenuator with my 15H (home use only), it gets loud with the 6V6s firing.(I prefer the sound at the 15W Pentode setting)

hotrod128z

Reaction score
I used to run an Orange PPC112 with my Blackstar HT-5H.....It was amazing (came stock with Celestion Vintage 30). It opened up the amp like nothing I could've imagined, even at lower volumes. I used to go over to my brother in law's to jam a bit here and there and he was running the HT-5 combo with stock 12".....he used to tell me all the time how he could not get over how my set up sounded compared to his, even with the same settings and me playing my Gibson SG and him playing his Gibson LP.....I tried to explain to him that the cabinet and speaker made ALL the difference in the world.

I kind of miss that little set up....now I run an HT-20 with Eminence Governor and it is pretty freaking great as well, though I still feel as I am a Celestion man at heart. Just my .02

hotrod

Wyattsgroove

Reaction score
I have been using a vox night train 112. Compact, has a heritage 20w greenback and sounds killer for it's size. I saw one used at GC this weekend for 100 bucks. Only reason it didn't come home with me was it wasn't available till next week. I use this cab with a Phaez jtm 18 or with my dsl40c. I get lots of compliments on the tone. Great deal on the used market.

Pop1655

Reaction score
That Orange black PPC 112 is calling me.
Hot rods not helping me hold back any.

El Kabong

Reaction score
I have a H&K 112 with stock Vintage 30s, a Blackstar 112 with Alnico Blues (didn't like the stock Blackbird 50) and a Vox 112 with stock Greenbacks... the best bang for the buck was probably the Vox. If you can find an empty cab and load your own speaker, that would probably be the way to go... scumback or cannabis rex may be more to your liking.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
This is another one I'm scared to ask.
Trust me, I've "searched" myself to the point that I now know less than I did when I started. Just when I think I'm on the right track, opinions say otherwise.

Trying to settle on a medium priced, semi-decent 1X12 cab to go immediately with a Blackstar HT5RH, an extension for a Super Champ X2 and hopefully in the future for a DSL15H.

Mainly clean.

Hughes and Kettner 112 and the black Orange PPC112 are my pick if I need to go up a notch.

I'm lost!

Get the orange ppc112, I have had mine for almost 2 years and I love it. It's very well built and most importantly it sounds huge for a 1x12, the oversized cabinet helps make it sound so big

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not sure everyone is seeing the mix of amps you plan to use with it. V30s are a great brit rock/dirt speaker. Not sure they are the best fit for the X2.

Something more along the lines of a Celestion G12H30 would be the better fit for both. Aspects of V30, but will let that Fender clean through as well. V30s, I find way to shrill and ice picky at times with fender clean tones. Possibly the Creamback or Greenback as well.

Mainly clean.
The Mainly Clean is a key, I think. Not every speaker will fit that need as well as others. Odd choice though a Blackstar HT5RH for cleans.

Those are all Celestion made speakers. Check that link for each speaker type. Most have links to vids to hear their tone.

THat means it's a speaker the amp maker had Celestion make for them. Same for EMinenece. They SAY it is voiced particularly for their amp, but often it is just a cheaper version of a Celestion or Eminence model. Some sound very good. Others not so much.

I'm lost!
Pass on the H and K. Had it, sold it. VOLUME is important for CABs. If you want that open, big sound, particularly bass response, a larger interior volume (amount of air, height x width x depth) makes a difference. YOu alsso want a CAB, if you can that can convert between closed back, open and semi open backed. Amp and room can sometimes benefit from one of the other. And there are CABs that do this. Also go for Plywood construction, not MDF or particle board, if for no other reason, the weight and durability. There is tone debates between the two. But ply is the way to go, imho..

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
+1 on the Vintage 30. I don't think there is an amp it will not improve on. Across the board, it is a great speaker. I would be a good fit for all three of your amp choices.

That said. Your HT5 matched HT112 will have a Blackstar Blackbird speaker in it. Those that have them, love them but mostly because they have not tried something different to compare it too.. They work well for what they are until you upgrade and realize there is better out there..

The HTV112 will have a Celestion 70/80 in it. Far superior to the BlackStar BlackBird yet the bottom of the Celestion food chain.

The Vox cabinet with the Celestion Greenback is a great speaker combo for the Vox and Marshall line but I did not like it for my Blackstar. Not really sure why but it seemed to have losted its depth, if that makes sense.

Another option would be to build your own cabinet and check into WGS Speakers for less expensive great quality speakers to put in it. Hard to find any bad reviews on their line and most are voiced against specific speakers like the Vintage 30 ect.. Picking a cabinet up on local CL or Ebay and upgrading the speaker is a good option too..

Good luck!

Pop1655

Reaction score
I appreciate all the effort!

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Is money an issue? older Peavey Bandit extension cabs are tougher than cockroaches. I got mine as part of a trade, the dude just gave it away because I was willing to meet at his home. The speaker was alright, but you can pick up a used Eminence for $50.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
+1 on the Vintage 30. I don't think there is an amp it will not improve on. Across the board, it is a great speaker. I would be a good fit for all three of your amp choices.

That said. Your HT5 matched HT112 will have a Blackstar Blackbird speaker in it. Those that have them, love them but mostly because they have not tried something different to compare it too.. They work well for what they are until you upgrade and realize there is better out there..

The HTV112 will have a Celestion 70/80 in it. Far superior to the BlackStar BlackBird yet the bottom of the Celestion food chain.

The Vox cabinet with the Celestion Greenback is a great speaker combo for the Vox and Marshall line but I did not like it for my Blackstar. Not really sure why but it seemed to have losted its depth, if that makes sense.

Another option would be to build your own cabinet and check into WGS Speakers for less expensive great quality speakers to put in it. Hard to find any bad reviews on their line and most are voiced against specific speakers like the Vintage 30 ect.. Picking a cabinet up on local CL or Ebay and upgrading the speaker is a good option too..

Good luck!

I have had the black bird, 70 80 and the v30, the v30 is a much better speaker in my opinion and it made my old blackstar HT-20 sound even better than the stock.

The V30 has a lot of mids and is great for a high gain amp. I love it.

Pop1655

Reaction score
Is money an issue?

Money is an issue because I'm a cheap azz.
The way I typically prefer to do things is to buy the cheaper one first, because I'm a cheap azz, then sell it for a loss, then buy what I should have bought in the first place.
That way I get the thrill of the expensive one costing considerably more than it would have initially.

I was thinking about bypassing that route this time, but we will see.

acstorfer

Reaction score
When I got my Egnater rebel funds were tight for me when it came to picking a cabinet. I found a homemade 1x15 cabinet with a new Jensen MOD 15-200 loaded into it.

Mod 15-200 | Jensen Loudspeakers

The cabinet is not the prettiest thing, but it is seriously durable and the speaker alone costs substantially more than the $75.00 I bought it for.

The only drawback is if I need to take it with me, it's pretty heavy (even with the wheels), but it's nice to know that is does the job in my room and it can handle anything outside my home.

If you think unconventionally you can find great bargains out there.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Money is an issue because I'm a cheap azz.
The way I typically prefer to do things is to buy the cheaper one first, because I'm a cheap azz, then sell it for a loss, then buy what I should have bought in the first place.
That way I get the thrill of the expensive one costing considerably more than it would have initially.

I was thinking about bypassing that route this time, but we will see.

Hmm, then, perhaps, look for a used Peavey 2x12 with the angled top. Typically found used for 125-175, sometimes have one of several different Celestions in them, else a Peavey Blue Marvel.
Here's mine
cybermgk-albums-amps-picture75756-peavey2by12.jpg

Or for 1x12, IF you can find a Jet City JCA12S+, they are great 1x12s/ Come stock with what is the same as an Eminence Legend speaker. BIG volume for 1x12, Birch Ply construction, and can be closed back, partial open (just a strip) or open back (half open).

GitFiddle

Reaction score
When I started up gigging again in '09 I picked up a Peavey Classic 30 to try out that tube sound. I was used to playing 2x12 combos in the past. The single speaker combo just didn't cut it and the Peavey 1x12 extension cab went out of production.

One day I ran across a couple Egnater 1x12 cabs in the used equipment at GC. They were asking $199 a piece. I picked out the nicest one and asked the guy, if he would take $150, I would give him cash and carry it out the door.

I replaced the Egnater speaker with a Hellatone 60 and put the Egnater speaker (Celestion Elite 80) in the Peavey combo, replacing the Blue Marvel. Turned out to be a jamming little rig. I've since acquired a couple 60s Fender amps and a Phaez JTM but this little Peavey rig is always the backup for outdoor gigs and extreme gigs.

gitfiddle-albums-amps-picture49143-100-1431-600-x-400.jpg

Latest Threads