Low profile truss rod question

andy007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched some videos of people installing the Stu Mac (or other brands) low profile truss rod that uses a shallow channel. The top of the truss rod is basically touching the underside of the fretboard after it's glued on.

If certain adjustments are necessary, I could see how the truss rod would put a lot of pressure on the underside of the fretboard. I don't see how the fretboard could handle the force of the truss rod without breaking the fretboard loose or cracking it.

Is this a "tried and true" method for installing a truss rod? How safe is it? I'm going to be using a fairly thin neck so was looking at the low profile truss rods. I'm skeptical but it seems other people do this with no problem. Any comments?

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I've used at least a dozen of those rods with no problems. Keep in mind that the fretboard to neck joint has plenty of surface area, and modern wood glues properly applied bond the wood pieces together than the actual wood fibers.

andy007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I install carbon fiber stiffening rods in the neck, will it require more force for the truss rod to bend the guitar neck back into alignment? Will this additional force still be OK pushing against the underside of the fretboard?

ARandall

Reaction score
All trussrods push up on the fretboard. As has been said already, if your glue joint breaks its because it was poor join. Generally any breaks will tear wood fibre not the glue.

Marty M.

Reaction score
Hot Rods have been around maybe 15 years... I think they are tried and true.

Latest Threads