Low or high output pickups for playing at low volume?

Lhdr

Reaction score
Do low output pickups like to be pushed, meaning the amp played loud?

If I’m playing most always in bedroom practice mode, at low volumes, do you think high output pickups are the way to go? The 490R and T? vs. Burst bucket 1 and 2?

ns2a

Reaction score
For bedroom levels I’d say high output to “cut through “. I know that may not make sense.

ARandall

Reaction score
Final volume has nothing whatsoever to do with the pickup choice.

Choose pickups for the tone/feel your want. The amp and how it is run for the volume you want. You can go from touch sensitive/edge of overdrive all the way to the heaviest doom with the choices in your rig....and all at bedroom volume.

moreles

Reaction score
As others have said, pickup output is trivial to irrelevant in shaping your final amped output. Unless you play with no pedals or seek a hot, distorted sound at all times, I don't see any good reason to use high output pickups at all. In my hands, they foster an unvarying hot sound, too much distortion, and too much compression. I like to add those qualities when I want them -- not have them, full tilt, all the time.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
The actual output of a pickup is pretty much meaningless, today. It's no longer 1970.

Choose the voice you want and forget entirely about output.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For bedroom levels I’d say high output to “cut through “. I know that may not make sense.
I don’t think it matters. Pick the ones that sound the best, regardless of volume.

The choice of amp matters much more at low volumes.
Final volume has nothing whatsoever to do with the pickup choice.

Choose pickups for the tone/feel your want. The amp and how it is run for the volume you want. You can go from touch sensitive/edge of overdrive all the way to the heaviest doom with the choices in your rig....and all at bedroom volume.
As stated. PU output is not applicable here.

PU output will drive some types of amps into distortion earlier for particular volume settings. But, you're never going to find a non master Volume amp, without power scaling or similar, that can be driven to distortion better at certain volumes like that, at any kind of low volume. Even a 1 watt non MV amp will have to have the volume up pretty loud for even high power PUs to drive into distortion.

More importantly is finding pickups that sound the best for what you play and potentially have the frequency ranges, clarity and string separation needed to sound good for what you play AND for low volumes. Lower the volume, the less the human ear hears less and less low frequencies and more mids due to the Fletcher Munson effect. So it's very likely a low output PUP might be better,

All that said, the Amp and Speaker (or Headphones), whatever you are hearing the sound from will have more effect on how good and accurate the sound is at low volumes.