Loving The 60's Neck

circles

Reaction score
I don't know... whatever came with my '94 I like. Guess that's a '60's-ish? Not sure.

JellyOnToast2345

Reaction score
Yeah I like to consider myself a traditionalist and therefore a 50's neck guy, and I love the fat 50's neck on my 77 Custom, but I actually prefer the 60's neck on my Traditional. It's much easier to play than most 50's necks. I do love the feel of the Custom's neck though as well. It helps that they're both satin (the Custom has just worn down to satin, the Traditional started that way). I'll never have a glossy neck again. Played a glossy 50's neck on a 2015 Traditional at GC and my hand kept getting caught and I particularly disliked the feel of it overall. Anyways, I'm ranting. Carry on

Javiersson

Reaction score
I have a 2014 studio, same neck as yours, and really love it. Neck and hand fit perfectly, so playing is a pleasure for me.

DanL

Reaction score
I like the baseball bats because I like my palm to have something to hold. 60s necks, although they can be played a tad bit faster, tend to give me cramps in my hand after 30 minutes of playing or so.

KissGuitar

Reaction score
'60's neck is what I prefer for sure. I have a few slightly thicker necked guitars (like my '08 Standard) but I feel most comfortable on the slimmer necks.

I can't stand the fat necked LP's, almost to the point that I can't play them (or struggle trying to play one).

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I feel ya, I used to think the thinner the better and didn't want anything to do with 50's necks. I have a speed taper on my prophecy and a 60's on my standard. A few weeks ago I tried a traditional and that 50's neck felt awesome when playing chords.

There are some things I love my 60s neck for and others where I have a clear preference for the 50s. If I'm playing basic chords, I greatly prefer some chunk. I find that when I play them on a 60s neck, I tend to buzz out the high E string (this could also be bad form on my part). If I'm playing like Malcolm Young, give me the fat neck anyday.

Smooth

Reaction score
I chose the 60s slim tapered neck with my '05 Standard. Love it!

I've never played any other LPs with the fatter necks. I'm fairly adaptable, so a fatter neck on a future LP wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

rubbme

Reaction score
60's neck for me too, although I would prefer a thinner guitar above the 17th.

Zungle

Reaction score
For me, it all starts with the neck, don't pass "GO"...don't collect $200.00...:)

I cannot get comfortable on the Gibson 60"s Slim or D profile neck's.

They are to tight to play thumb back....?

Gibson 50's and '59 profile are the only Gibson profiles I play.

Fender also has some comfy large C profiles and Fender's large U profile on 70's Tele's and Antigua Strats is really nice as well.

Also the finish ,radius, # of frets and fret type play an equally huge roll in my neck preference....Sticky necks are out,Jumbo frets are out, Cramming 24 frets into a 24 3/4 scale guitar=out.

Shogun

Reaction score
When I buy guitars the "chunky-ness" of the neck is not really something that important, I have some quite chunky necks and some quite thin. Wether or not I enjoy and like how the guitar plays comes down to something else, haven't been able to put my finger on it, it just feels right when I play something I like.

josebcn

Reaction score
It's my favourite LP neck as well.

I'd buy a collection of R0s but I am not rich.

Latest Threads