Loving The 60's Neck

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, I have a really nice 2011 Les Paul Studio, which plays and feels really good with a great setup. These 2011 Les Paul Studio guitars with the BBPro's really whale and sound great, but they do have the regular neck, not as thick as the 50's but still kind of big. ( Or does the 2011 have a 50's neck. It did not feel that big until I got this new LP with the 60's neck ). I have played this guitar for years and really like it, but my new 2014 Studio Pro has the 60's neck with some nice added features. The Studio Pro with the 60's neck feels a ton better, as well as having a nice 57 Classic in the neck position and some other nice added features.

Who else likes the 60's neck more so than the regular/or 50's neck.

Slick64

Reaction score
To be honest, out of the dozen or so guitars I have, they are all over the place as far as neck size goes. I used to only prefer thin neck guitars, but now I don't really have a preference. I look more at the overall guitar, and less on just the neck shape.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
To be honest, out of the dozen or so guitars I have, they are all over the place as far as neck size goes. I used to only prefer thin neck guitars, but now I don't really have a preference. I look more at the overall guitar, and less on just the neck shape.
I hear you, I never really thought to much about it playing my 2011. But now after playing the 2014 60's neck, it is amazing the difference on how much better it feels to me. I am going to sell my 2011 to a guy at work, who has bigger hands and actually likes the 2011 over my 2014.

smurph1

Reaction score
My Traditional is kind of in the middle.. Not a "baseball bat" but not skinny either.. It plays great.. Just got some fresh strings for it today, So after work, I will crack a beer and get to work!!

tzd

Reaction score
I hear you, I never really thought to much about it playing my 2011. But now after playing the 2014 60's neck, it is amazing the difference on how much better it feels to me. I am going to sell my 2011 to a guy at work, who has bigger hands and actually likes the 2011 over my 2014.

Your Studio Pro has not only a slimtaper 60s neck, but also a compound radius fingerboard. That could be what makes the difference for you.

Slick64

Reaction score
My Jackson SL1 compared to my Skinner Les Paul is night and day....I like both, but I can see where people have a preference. I just found it limiting to some of the guitars I wanted, and when I started looking at historic R9's...I adjusted.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Your Studio Pro has not only a slimtaper 60s neck, but also a compound radius fingerboard. That could be what makes the difference for you.
The compound radius is kind of rounded correct. What exactly is that suppose to do for you?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The compound radius is kind of rounded correct. What exactly is that suppose to do for you?
Hmmm, ok. So I am sort of answering my own question if I have this right.

It is suppose to make chord playing easier closer to the nut, which is where most rhythm types of chords are played and makes lead runs easier to play/bend higher up closer to the bridge where it is wider and flatter.

tzd

Reaction score
Hmmm, ok. So I am sort of answering my own question if I have this right.

It is suppose to make chord playing easier closer to the nut, which is where most rhythm types of chords are played and makes lead runs easier to play/bend higher up closer to the bridge where it is wider and flatter.

Yes you are correct, and that also generally makes it easier to dial in lower action at the higher frets where the fretboard flattens out.

Rob H.

Reaction score
While the '50s, '59, etc. are my preference, I do like a 60s profile that's on the thicker side (they do vary IME).

I had two Les Paul Junior Lites. One was a 2001, the other a 1999, which was noticeably fuller in profile, while maintaining the '60s shape. I don't normally regret sales but that's one guitar I'd like to have back.

Babylon

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the '60s profile/slim taper, I wouldn't own any Les Pauls. Likewise PRS' Pattern Thin neck.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
I have a Custom with a humongous neck and a standard with the thinnest neck I've ever seen on a Gibson. If I said that the fatty was just as easy to play, I would be a liar.

grayd8

Reaction score

I feel ya, I used to think the thinner the better and didn't want anything to do with 50's necks. I have a speed taper on my prophecy and a 60's on my standard. A few weeks ago I tried a traditional and that 50's neck felt awesome when playing chords.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Both my guitars have a BBPro in the bridge and the 2011 has a little bit of a deeper tone to it. Is this because of the thicker neck?

flats750

Reaction score
I prefer 60's necks, I find my hand fatigues easily on a fat neck.

Reaction score
A 60s neck is like a dream boat in the hand, ive got the 2013 60s tribute with the slim taper 60s neck, the nicest neck ive ever played.
Ive had to really relax my neck hand and stop using the back of the neck to play, its been the best thing ive ever done, im playing so much better, my hands relaxed with only a thumb pad on the back of the neck, my hand totally free for the first time ever, too many years of playing thick acoustic necks really held back my playing.

Latest Threads