Love my Seth Lovers...need slightly hotter bridge

sixstring531

Reaction score
Like the title - I think the Seth Lovers are the best low-ouput, unpotted, open-airy sounding paf replicas from a big vendor and I love them, but I was wondering what suggestions my fellow LP brethren may have for the same type of tone, but at a slightly higher output for my bridge position? I've used the antiquity before (and they are close to the sl) but woud love some other suggestions.

Thanks!

LtKojak

Reaction score
Like the title - I think the Seth Lovers are the best low-ouput, unpotted, open-airy sounding paf replicas from a big vendor and I love them, but I was wondering what suggestions my fellow LP brethren may have for the same type of tone, but at a slightly higher output for my bridge position?

For a oh-so-slight push in output with minimal loss of what you love in the Seth, an UOA5 mag could be the ticket.

For a Seth in steroids and PCP, an A8 mag is what you want.

You don't really need another p'up. Not really, no.

HTH,

LtKojak

Reaction score
Just so happens I have an UOA5 lying around. Will give it a go.

Great! Don't forget to allow a whole week before judging the tone, as that's what it normally takes for the magnetic field created by the new magnet to fully stabilize.

Also, you may re-adjust the height, as the "sweet spot" shifted position, due to the new magnet.

HTH,

Dougie

Reaction score
The sweet thing about the Seth is alnico II and when you get away from that by swapping a mag, you basically get an unpottted '59 without that edgy meaty early '58 PAF kinda grit on the picking attack that gives the Seth it's real identity.

Bluefox

Reaction score
I would try first to simply raise it a hair closer to the strings to get a bit more volume and body.

sixstring531

Reaction score
Well, I looked at my magnet stash and I thought I had an UOA5 roughcast, but the bag is labelled A2 (from the supplier) with some of my own writing in sharpie next to it. I have no idea what I wrote, so I may just order another one.

I take it there is no easy way for me to tell whether it is a5 or a2.

Latest Threads