Lots of People Looking For/At Low Wattage Amps!

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 285667

Not for me, I had a Blews Jr. and moved it on, too sterile
I use a Marshall AVT50, 50 Watt with 12AX7 preamp tube, 2 channel, 12" speaker, CD in Headphone out ---> 1/4" plugs not 1/8th", Emulated line out, FX loop.

They go for around $175 used. This is the later version of the valvestate technology and a very good piece of gear for the price.
I will say that the little fan in them can be noisy, but are easily replaced, or quieted by oiling the bearing.
Also the reverb seems to fail on these but the reverb on the BJ is exceedingly poor as well.....
I disconnected the reverb tank in mine and now, when I turn the reverb knob, I get more presence. I think the amp still adds to the signal, it just doesn't go thru the springs now.

With the BJ you get good cleans, with the AVT50 you get good cleans and Marshall goodness,,,, I'm lust sayin . . . .:slash:

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/avt20-avt50-avt50h-manual-479319.pdf
I had its lil bro, the AVT 20. I must concur with your appreciation of this amp line

DHart

Reaction score
Just brought home an Orange Micro Terror. Great crunch for something that costs as much as a decent stompbox.
Yeah... when you can buy a great small amp like the Orange Terror, Yamaha THR, Night Train, and others... for a just few hundred dollars, it really shows how crazy the prices are for stomp boxes. And when you think that some players have six, eight, ten, a dozen or more stomp boxes... sheesh. I don't get that. Give me a good compressor, a mild over drive, and a good sounding amp and I'm thrilled.

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
Tried the VOX AC4 and just wasn't thrilled with it. Dirty tone was just kind of muddy. Cleans were just 'ok'. Returned it and stepped up to the AC10 and MUCH happier with this amp, for not much more money. Great VOX tone.

Last edited:

studio1087

Reaction score
The opening list (from several years ago) seems a bit off.

I have a Dr Z Mini Z (I actually have the head and a 2 x 12 Celestion cab) and I have the Mini Z Combo and I have a Carmen Ghia.......any of them could part your hair and push your forehead back. They're not low volume heads that you could crank in an apartment.

I recently bought a 1 watt Blackstar head that I plug into a Carvin 2 x 12. The Carvin 2 x 12 is usually connected to my EVH Lunchbox. I paid $129 used - less than a good pedal!

These adorable little tube heads are $249 if you pay full retail and they have reverb and a clean and dirty channel (you can only switch channels using a finger button). They are loud for screwing around at home and they sound and tube sag is fantastic.

cherrysunburst00

Premium Member
Reaction score
The opening list (from several years ago) seems a bit off.

I have a Dr Z Mini Z (I actually have the head and a 2 x 12 Celestion cab) and I have the Mini Z Combo and I have a Carmen Ghia.......any of them could part your hair and push your forehead back. They're not low volume heads that you could crank in an apartment.

I recently bought a 1 watt Blackstar head that I plug into a Carvin 2 x 12. The Carvin 2 x 12 is usually connected to my EVH Lunchbox. I paid $129 used - less than a good pedal!

These adorable little tube heads are $249 if you pay full retail and they have reverb and a clean and dirty channel (you can only switch channels using a finger button). They are loud for screwing around at home and they sound and tube sag is fantastic.

Yuppers, Mini Z is LOUD, even when fully attenuated. I had a CG 25th Anni w/ master volume, and to start sounding semi-hard, ya had to crank rhe master.

Blaxkstar 1 watt head really is a pretty amazing little fire-breather.

Currently GAS'ing for another Carr Raleigh. KILLER master volume.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Still waiting on the Origin series to drop. Today was the original stock date I saw from AMS. The date is now 4/23.

scozz

Reaction score
I use mine with an Ibanez open back cabinet and a Celestion Seventy-80 speaker.
How do you like that 70/80 speaker? It’s a speaker Marshall would put in some of their inexpensive cabinets.

I’m waiting on delivery of a DSL1HR and MX112 cab that comes with a 70/80 in it.

The head is being delivered today, but the cab is back ordered,...expected October 1st.... :(

So I’ll have a new head and nothing to play it thru for a month!! :facepalm: My only other cab is 8ohm.

cherrysunburst00

Premium Member
Reaction score
My latest acquisition....

Pretty impressive, eh. I just got the 1x8 combo. I remember your tube swap trick, and so far, just dialed in low is working fine.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
My most powerful amp is a mere 20W, the Peavey Classic 20 MH. The Orange Micros are rated at 20W but @ 4 ohm. They are low powered when hooked into 16 ohm cabs. DSL15 is, wait for it...15W and the Blues Junior III is 15W also.
All the rest are way lower:
H&K Tube Meister 5--5W
Class 5--5W
DSL1HR--1W
Vox AC4C1--4W
Greta--2W
Blackstar HT-1R--1W (not delivered yet, I'll come back and edit)

Last edited: