Lots of noise

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
Is it normal for it to be noisy when hooking up my pedals and turning my amp on? I have no noise gate hooked up but even without any of the pedal being turned on there is some obvious hum and static. When i go into the amp directly it is completely quiet. Would it be quieter if i used batteries instead of the pedalboard's power?

JakeM

Reaction score
What kind of power supply are you using and what kind of cables and connectors do you have? if they are not grounded properly they will hum terribly.

Jake

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
The pedalboard plug is 2-prong, it goes to a power strip that is 3-prong into the wall. Is that what we are talking about?

pickerrr

Reaction score
Try batteries, and try change cables, then try lower the gain.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I found the problem. My Boss Overdrive. When it is hooked up the thing hums like an angry hobo. Shame too, it's the first pedal I ever bought. I opened
It up and the wires are not severed or anything. I am not electronically savvy and I think I just need to buy a new OD.

pickerrr

Reaction score
I found the problem. My Boss Overdrive. When it is hooked up the thing hums like angry hobo. Shame too, it's the first pedal I ever bought. I opened
It up and the wires are not severed or anything. I am not electronically savvy and I thunk I just need to buy a new OD.
Then Try a new OD at the store BEFORE you buy it~! Because it may not be the OD's problem, I still think it's the cables. The OD just amplify everything before it, if there is a note, it amplify that note, if there're noise, it amplify those noise, too. That's what they do~!:slash:

ext1jdh

Reaction score
Simplify your chain. Guitar-amp. See if there's a hum
Then systematically add your chain items until the hum appears.

The item that you added when the hum appeared is the most likely cause of the hum.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
Well I took my OD out and put in a different OD (one I don't like so much) and the hum is gone. I will test stuff out again today though.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I havent tried that. It should have been the first thing i tried but I was so excited when the noise stopped I never went back to it. I will test it out today when I get home though

Latest Threads