Lost or Stolen Les Paul?

six-string

Reaction score
from today's paper...this is not MY guitar. I'm just sharing the story.

Local musician fed up trying to track down guitar left in Blue Line cab

Adam Feibel, Ottawa Citizen

Last Updated: May 26, 2015 9:14 PM EDT

Local musician Dave Nadeau left his guitar - a Gibson Les Paul - in a Blue Line cab last week and they still haven't found it yet.

The guitarist in a local rock ‘n’ roll band says he’s run out of patience with Blue Line Taxi after receiving little help recovering his beloved six-string more than a week after leaving it in the trunk of one of the company’s cabs.

Dave Nadeau, 28, one of the guitarists in the Ottawa group The Wicked Mercy and a bartender at Irene’s Pub on Bank Street, inadvertently parted ways early last Tuesday morning with his “holy grail,” a Gibson Les Paul he’s played just about every day for the last seven months.

Nadeau said it’s a huge loss not only because of the $2,500 price tag, but because it’s the only guitar he owns. He said he borrowed a friend’s guitar for a gig on Thursday, and he may have to do the same when his band heads into the recording studio next month.

“I lose pretty much everything with that,” he said. “I invested the money in this, and it’s my baby.”

Nadeau told the Citizen he and two others hailed a cab after work around 3:30 a.m. on May 19. He put his guitar in the trunk of the vehicle. The cab made two stops to drop off Nadeau’s friends before dropping him off shortly before 4 a.m.

He said he left the car, then moments later realized he had left the guitar in the trunk. But by that time, the driver had already rounded a corner, and he couldn’t jot down the car number.

Nadeau said he immediately called Coventry Connections, Blue Line’s parent company. The company was unable to identify the exact car using its GPS registry, so now it’s up to the driver to send word that he has the guitar.

Hanif Patni, president and CEO of Coventry Connections, told the Citizen on Tuesday morning that the company receives more than 200 reports of misplaced items per day, but added an electric guitar gone missing is a peculiar case.

“The drivers are always very good, whenever a customer leaves a cellphone or anything, to bring it in. Needless to say, with a guitar, you would definitely be bringing that in right away. It’s such a big thing,” said Patni.

Patni said the company has interviewed the majority of the drivers who were in the area at the time of Nadeau’s ride. It also sent out a broadcast to all its taxi cabs asking who had seen it, he said. The situation is complicated because Nadeau and his friends hailed the cab instead of calling dispatch, Patni said.

So far, Blue Line has yet to find the guitar. But they’re still looking, Patni said.

More than a week has gone by, and Nadeau said he’s tired of waiting.

“He still hasn’t dropped it off, and I find it hard to believe that he hasn’t looked in his trunk,” said Nadeau.

Nadeau said he intended to file a report with the police, but was told he couldn’t because the property is considered lost, not stolen.

Nadeau said he has been monitoring online classified website Kijiji for the guitar and has been in touch with local music stores and pawn shops to warn them to keep an eye out. He said he also posted on Facebook to alert his friends.

“I’m kind of helpless in this situation,” he said. “I’m at the hands of Blue Line.”

Patni said he trusts that the company’s drivers will do the right thing.

If a driver is found to have knowingly kept a lost item, the company would have “no tolerance,” Patni said.

“If we found that there was a particular driver who had not removed the guitar and given it back to the customer, and intended to abscond with it, the driver’s fired, period.”

But Nadeau said his missing guitar signals the end of his trust in Blue Line and other traditional taxi services.

It would have been easier had he hitched a ride using Uber, he added, since the ride sharing app provides the driver’s name, phone number and licence plate with each ride.

Nadeau said the new digital service reveals a glaring hole in terms of accountability among traditional taxi companies.

“They can do this and if they send out a message and they don’t get back, or they just say there’s nothing there, that’s what I’m stuck with — no accountability on the drivers,” he said.

“I will definitely try my hardest not to take a city cab.”

The guitar is a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional with a “caramel burst” finish. Anyone with information on how Dave Nadeau might recover the guitar can send an email to [email protected].

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
Wait, $2.5k for a trad?

I do feel sorry for him though, losing a guitar is not nice.

BACzero

Reaction score
Wait... HE took his guitar in a cab... HE somehow forgot that a $2,500 instrument that he refers to as his "baby" and his "holy grail" was sitting next to him in the cab, and HE got out, closed the cab door and let it drive away with his beloved guitar inside, and now he's upset because there's "no accountability on the drivers"? Me thinks the accountability should be on him… not them.

Hey, I get it... we all hope that people will do the "right" thing if we happen to lose something important to us, but ultimately that guitar was Dave Nadeau's responsibility, not the cab driver's. I haven't been in a lot of cabs in my life, but I seem to remember seeing a little sign in every one of them that says they are not responsible for items left in the cab. The situation sucks, and I feel bad for the guy, but it seems this can be chalked up to a life lesson learned. Keep track of your gear!

That said, someone out there knows where the guitar is. It's not like a wallet that slides under a seat or gets lost in a crease somewhere. It’s a freakin’ guitar! It stands out! I truly hope Mr. Nadeau gets his baby back... and when he does, I hope he remembers not to leave it in a cab again. Just my two cents, of course.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Wait... HE took his guitar in a cab... HE somehow forgot that a $2,500 instrument was sitting next to him in the cab, and HE got out, closed the cab door and let it drive away.

Local musician Dave Nadeau left his guitar in a Blue Line cab last week and they still haven't found it yet.
“ I find it hard to believe that he hasn’t looked in his trunk,” said Nadeau.

Well according to the story it wasn't "Next" to him...Still i would like to think that i wouldn't forget that i left my "Baby" locked in the trunk of the cab either..:facepalm:

sk8rat

Reaction score
I get why he's mad but at the same time its his fault.

If a driver is found to have knowingly kept a lost item, the company would have “no tolerance,” Patni said.

at this point its his word against the drivers.

roeg

Reaction score
cab companys are crooks.no scruples.shady.

2 yrs ago i left an expensive bike seat post and seat in a cab by accident.I had a flat and no spare so i was getting a lift home.I realised as soon as i got home and called dispatch.Got the effin run around.I contined to call them for almost 2 weeks(it was a expensive high end post and seat).No dice.Robbers.In a day and age when you can track anything around the globe?...b.s.

The company is only as good as the integrity of its drivers.Many have none.

Actinic

Reaction score
Nadeau told the Citizen he and two others hailed a cab after work around 3:30 a.m. on May 19. He put his guitar in the trunk of the vehicle. The cab made two stops to drop off Nadeau’s friends before dropping him off shortly before 4 a.m.

Hookers and blow? The drugs are in the guitar case, I presume?

S_G_D

Reaction score
Hope he was smart enough to have a record of his "baby's" S/N

hecube

Reaction score
Only one guitar??!!

We have poorer people here at MLP who have 5 guitars or more.

six-string

Reaction score
well I'm not personally involved in this story...
from what i gathered, he left with 2 friends after closing time at the bar- 330AM or thereabouts. so 3 guys plus the driver fills the car seats. so the guitar had to go into the trunk because there was no room in the seats. so its late. friend 1 gets out and then at next stop, friend 2 gets out, then guitar guy gets dropped at home and its late, he's tired and for an instant forgets the guitar is in the trunk of the cab. just as he remember...the cab has turned the corner and he can't flag him back. so he calls the company. what else can he do at this point?

yes its a sad tale. i would agree that the cab company probably could find out exactly who the driver was and pursue the matter, but its more likely they would protect their driver first. i would not doubt that the driver found the guitar and quickly knew exactly what he had and it's possible value. even if he didn't play, he knows he could sell or pawn it and get a nice chunk of cash. and that's probably what he did.

as for the guitar player- he is SOL at this point. highly unlikely he will get the instrument returned. even if it did turn up in a pawnshop or something, he would have to prove ownership and prove that it was stolen. the story says the Police advised him the instrument was "lost" so they aren't going to consider it stolen and issue any report. so no luck with insurance i guess either.

there is a slim chance, that some honest person who either finds or comes across the guitar, might return it to the original owner or help him. it has happened here in town before. a year or two ago, a well-known local musician got a call and another local guitarist who had found a telecaster that had been stolen from the first guy about 10 years earlier. he recognized it and remembered. well the guitar was returned...free of charge. so sometimes good stuff does happen.

splatter

Reaction score
sorry, but the guys a dumb ass for leaving it in the trunk . If I'm in a cab with my les paul it rides up front with me .

James R

Reaction score
Wait, $2.5k for a trad?

I do feel sorry for him though, losing a guitar is not nice.

I paid $1800 for my '12 Tad+ but it had a price tag of $2450, I paid $2250 for my '13 Trad but it had a price tag of around $2500-2600 (can't quite remember off the top of my head).
Things are expensive for us Canucks.

foxtrot

Reaction score
That's really unfortunate that he forgot his guitar. Ultimately, I guess it's his fault, but it's not really like he was being careless or anything. Accidents and mistakes like this happen, especially considering the guy just got off work at 3am and may have been pretty tired too.

I think most taxi services do say they aren't accountable for lost or misplaced items, but that's really sort of a lame cop out. They should bear some responsibility and accountability due to how popular a form of transportation taxis are and how often these situations occur.

Hopefully his guitar turns up.

He probably should have had his guitar (and other gear) specifically insured (with some sort of rider or personal property insurance, etc), as it sounds like he is a gigging musician. Doing so usually covers (I think) lost items and accidental damage even.

martin H

Reaction score
I'd say most of the "you're an idiot to let this happen" replies haven't done much gigging or loaded a van at 3 am. S*** happens when you're tired. Some "friends" of mine borrowed 4 SM57s to use on tour, and left them "somewhere in California" You just fail to notice things like a missing amp, or a guitar left on top of the van, that you'd notice at 3pm. When I was doing out of state gigs we got to the point of having a a checklist with boxes that had to be marked when stuff was loaded.

There are also certain bands that make it a policy to steal s*** from the house or other bands when they are on a bill because its "cool" and they are "underpaid". As a sound guy I resent having to rush up and count the mics, stands and plug boxes between every band. IME this is seldom an "honest mistake," (as claimed when you find one of your mics with your name engraved on it in their mic case, or some guy hauling out a stand with the club's name written on the bottom in sharpie.) These guys are scum, and I've see a beating or two administered by bouncers who didn't see the "joke" in taking a couple of hundred dollars worth of club mics with you)

Conversely, we have a box of things people left on stage. Guitar stands, plugboxes and cords are most likely to be forgotten but harps, microphones, drum parts, and relatively expensive effects pedals often show up, and no one comes to collect them. I could probably build a pretty decent pedalboard form the stuff in the box under the desk! Once a month I collect the picks left on stage, and hence never have to buy picks.

Chicago John

Reaction score
True, it was a dumb move to leave the axe in the cab, but it's hard to believe that the cabbie hasn't found it in his trunk by now, and it is a theft by the cabbie if he doesn't bring it forth, IMO.

indravayu

Reaction score
These things happen (especially when you live in a city and use cabs regularly) and it's always a bummer.

I almost lost a guitar in a cab in NYC years back - was heading home from a band rehearsal one evening and stashed the guitar (a Rickenbacker Liverpool model) in the trunk - it just totally slipped my mind when I jumped out of the cab and paid.

Luckily, my brother (and bandmate at the time) was also in the cab and noticed that I had forgotten the guitar (only after I had dashed off into my apartment building and the cab drove away to drop my brother off at his apartment up the street)...he grabbed the guitar for me and gave me a ring (and a scolding) when he got home.

About a year or two later, I lost my bassist's brand new (and rather expensive boutique) overdrive pedal in a cab - he asked me to pick it up for him from our rehearsal space while I was there to grab some of my own gear, which I did... but then I stupidly forgot it on the seat next to me when the cab dropped me off at home. I called the cab company, but the pedal was never turned in.

six-string

Reaction score
in a related story...Nick Park who created the well-loved Wallace & Gromit series of stop-motion animated films was in New York to accept a film award and had brought the original Wallace & Gromit models with him in a special lined suitcase. You can imagine what those original characters are worth, not only in money, but the time spent creating and perfecting them and the incredible sentimental value they hold.

Well, apparently Park accidentally forgot the case in a New York Yellow Cab in his rush to the awards show. It was nothing short of a miracle that in New York, he was able to enlist some help in contacting the Cab company who tracked down the driver and the case was returned to him promptly with the figures intact!

six-string

Reaction score
Epilogue: According to news reports this morning May 28th, Mr. Nadeau has recovered his missing Les Paul. Apparently the Blue Line Taxi company was able to track down the driver and locate the guitar (after the story appeared in the newspaper) and it was returned. So another happy ending!

I will bet the owner will be keeping much closer tabs on his instrument in the future!

Latest Threads