Lost my best friend today.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
He was a 14 year old Shih Tzu that had been with us since he was a puppy. When I brought him home, he climbed up in my lap on to my chest and licked my nose while I was driving. He did not know that I couldn't see where I was driving that way, and that it might not end up well! He was born in the same month and day as me -- December 6 -- but in 2000 and not 1943 like me. He grew up to be a big 12 lb. dog. We flew on airlines together, traveled to Colorado together, and moved to Colorado together. We played tug of war with dog toys, and he slept at the foot of my bed and kept my feet warm.

But two weeks ago, he refused to eat. He started losing weight. The vet recommended a different diet which he wouldn't eat. A blood test showed a very highly elevated liver enzyme count. An ultrasound revealed his liver was 3X the size it should be. It was compressing his stomach so there was no room for food intake. Further tests were not possible with this liver count, as he could not be put under anesthetic, and lack of blood clotting would be a problem. And he couldn't live much longer with his refusal to eat. With the vet's advice, he was put to sleep today. His name was Barry, and he will not be forgotten here.

Will Rogers asked his minister if dogs go to heaven. The minister said "no, because dogs have no souls." Will Rogers said "well then, I want to go where dogs go." I agree with Will.

After Barry was gone and I came home, the house was strangely quiet. This was strange, because Barry had been too sick to make any noise.

Sorry to bore you with this post, but this is the strange world of Durango, CO. Here steampunk is real, jeans are formal wear, and dogs are our most important residents. I'm surprised dogs have not been elected to our city council. Barry was not on the council, but I suspect he would have messed the floor fewer times than current council members.

Barry will be missed and remembered in this household forever. Thank you for reading this.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, Dole.

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss...
Barry would like how well written your tribute to him was...

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. :(

MxwCqJV.jpg

El Pablo

Reaction score
Dole. Sorry for loss. The sadness of loosing a best friend is tough. Big hug to ya.

wwit

Reaction score
So sorry to hear. My Condolences.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your loss with us...

If only people could be more like dogs

Take care

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very sorry. There isn't many things worse. :(
That silence....... I've never dealt well with.

I'm dealing with a liver issue with my 11 month old pup right now. Do not know what the outcome will be. I feel your pain.

Meatwad

Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost your little buddy.:(

Dogs are the best people.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
Dolebludger, I couldn't be more sorry for your loss. I could picture the little guy doing everything you described, and can totally relate to where you are right now. My wife & I had to put one of our cats down in November. She'd been with us 11 yrs, so the feelings are still rather real.

Where he is now, he's at his best, wagging his tail, tugging at a toy or curled up at your feet. I'll bet there was more than one time he took a bad mood and made it a good mood. Remember him that way.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
That suck. Us pet owners go through this pain several times during our lifetime, and it never gets any easier.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Dole, its a wonderful thing, you had Barry in your life. Losing them is a bitch.

SGeoff

Reaction score
sorry for your loss. a dog who is a friend is special indeed

Detector

Reaction score
My Condolences. It is tough, been there, done that!

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that his faithful dog had been dead for many years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. As he reached the wall, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch, and the street that led to the gate made from pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water? We have traveled far," the man said.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment, remembering all the years this dog remained loyal to him and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going. After another long walk he came to a plain dirt road, which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yes, sure, there's a faucet over there." The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in and help yourself."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to his dog.

"There should be a bowl by the faucet; he is welcome to share."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned faucet with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No. We're just happy that they screen out the folks who'd leave their best friends behind."

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
Happy trails, Barry, you are well loved. Our deepest sympathies, Dole, we are intimately familiar with your loss and pain.

Latest Threads