Losing my best friend tomorrow.

morats8up

Reaction score
I feel very sorry for you and I admire your strength to do the right thing. The time is coming soon for me to do the same for my buddy Drex my 16 year old Jack Russel. He has been my shadow since he was 4 months old. I just hope I can do the right thing, but I just don't know...
DREX_zps0bf933f4.jpg

BBC, I got my boy Sammy at 4 months as well, He's a couple weeks from being 3 now. Like you, He truly is my heart and means more to me than just about anything. I guess I'm in denial about having to go through what brother Hack and eventually you will have to do. You have my most sincere condolences when the time comes.

IMAG1270_zps2cae52a5.jpg

Hey! What are you doing to my bush?

IMAG1269_zps3cc686c8.jpg

Who's........bush?!!

IMAG1237_zps5a2eac49.jpg

My little Wingman sizing up some quail in the backyard.

Hack

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone.

It was as tough as to be expected. It went as well as it could have, I guess.

After we got home I kept myself busy building his casket, digging the hole and setting the tombstone. Found myself thinking of the little things that made him so special all day long.

We tucked him in his favorite blanket, along side a new frisbee & his collar and lead. I positioned his grave so he could see us come and go, and we could see him as well.

Rest in peace little buddy.

IMG_0596.JPG

babatube

Reaction score
:(
this is so sad.
i feel loosing a dog is as hard as loosing a human friend.
i still dream about my old dog and he passed away 10 years ago.
hang in there.

markerdown

Reaction score
Awww man, so sorry to hear this news. I hate reading posts like this... it opens old wounds. It really sucks when they have to leave. A friend of mine sent me this modified poem when I lost our oldest male pointer a few years back .... I had to do the same as you

THE POWER OF THE DOG

by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie–
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that nature permits
Are closing in asthma or tumors or fits
And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers, or loaded guns.
Then you will find–its your own affair
But–you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will
When the whimper of welcome is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone–wherever it goes–for good,
You still discover how much you care
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we’ve kept ‘em the more do we grieve;
For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short time loan is as bad as a long–
So by God in Heaven we truly swear
And we give our hearts to another pup to tear

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
Is this a sentimental post from Hack..? You almost got me crying... and laughing at some of those pictures. I really feel for you, your wife, and the dog... a dog is the best kind of person out there, and the best friend a man can have. I really, really feel for you.
Sometimes the best, and necessary, thing in life are the most painful, yet also inevitable.

SGMM

Reaction score
SO sorry to read this....keeping you folks in my thoughts!!

battra

Reaction score
I forget who said it, but you can judge the quality of a man by how he treats his animals.

Your love for that dog shows you're a great man, Hack.

Stay strong.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! It sounds like you really enjoyed the time you had with him and are at least gettinga chance to give him a few last treats before he goes. I have a cat that is pushing 14, and although she is still healthy now I know that time is not far off. Great pictures too! Im sure they will always remind you of your best friend.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hack, I just want to say again how sorry I am. My eyes welled up once again reading your OP.

You did a beautiful job with his resting place. I hope you and Mrs. Hack are doing okay, and I hope your boy liked the chocolate.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I'm really sorry Hack. From the looks of it you gave him the best home and life he could have asked for. That's all that matters.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Man every time i hit up this thread i start crying.

Hack i'm so sorry....I know I already said that but man I know how hard it is. And i just keep thinking about my pooches.

Love em while you got em folks. They deserve it.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
My deepest condolences to you. My wife and I have had to put 2 of our beloved family members down in the last 4 years due to illnesses that came about far too early in their lives. Worst 2 days of my life.

When the first one passed, we received quite a few cards from friends, relatives, and even the doctors at the oncology dept who treated Gizmo. One of the cards in particular really hit me and I think about it often. I forget the exact wording of it, but it said some to the effect of animals being gifts that are loaned to us from the angels. It took me a while to understand the true message. It's not that "your pets are only temporary" but rather "enjoy every moment you have with them because they eventually have to be given back to the angels".

That really helped us cope. Maybe it will help you too. Either way, you have my condolences.

kevin65

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog Hack. We had to deal with something similar a couple of years ago. I know how tough it is, but you did what was kindest for Gordon and this shows your love for that dog. Stay strong.

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
Who resurrected this thread? It wasn't my dogs thread, was it? I feel compelled to cry again.

Latest Threads