Losing my best friend tomorrow.

Hack

Reaction score
Gordon Oswald Smith. 14 years and a couple weeks old. Its time.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. This is the sweetest most loving dog in the world and I have to have him put down.

DSC_0014.JPG

As you can tell, he is blind. Failed attempts to save his eyesight has left him without any eyes. He did fine as a blind boy, he was much happier and without any pain after they came out.

Now he has Congestive Heart Failure, which is treatable, but when they x-rayed him for the progress they found the liver & lung cancer. Now it has caught up to him. He is no longer a happy pup. He hacks and coughs. Pretty much lost his appetite the last two days.

I'm bringing home Pizza tonight (his favorite) and going to stop off and get some kind of chocolate treat since he has never gotten to taste chocolate.

He has had a full life. Has done things and gone places that most dogs would only dream about. He has been treated just like a kid his whole life and has given us the love of 20. (if any of you have or know a Boston Terrier, you know what I mean)

FISHINDOG.jpg

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG

IMG_1883.jpg

DSC_0267.JPG

smoocher.JPG

This will be a very long night for me and my wife. We are going to have to do this no matter how much it hurts. It is too selfish to keep him alive at this point. I know this because I know my dog. He is not himself and I do not want him in pain. He deserves the best I can give him, no matter the cost.

No need to say any prayers for him. He was born an angel and stayed one his whole life.

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Hack. You have my deep sympathies. He looks like a great dog, and at least you gave him a great life with your family.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
My thoughts are with you man. I know how hard that is....i've had dogs my whole life and it is NEVER easy to say goodbye. I'm tearing up here just thinking about it.

I'm sorry you're losing your best friend. Remember all the fun and love you guys shared and keep his memory alive.

bscenefilms

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Condolences Hack - I held my last dog in my arms when they put him down and I cried like a baby. Was the last dog I had - maybe 10 years ago. Have not been able to have another since because of the last one and the pain that came with letting him go.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this...Good thoughts... Jeff

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it before:

I have suffered through many bummers in life, but having to put down a companion animal ranks among the worst.

You have my sympathies and condolences.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's always a hard thing to do, but sometimes it is a necessary thing.

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
Deepest sympathies, Hack. And a very special hug and maybe a nice kiss on the snoot for Gordon. We had 2 Bostons when I was growing up, they're the bomb. I know how much he'll be missed.

We recently had to have our own Lab put down due to cancer. I snuffled and snotted my way around the place for 6 weeks, thinking for all the world that THIS is the last time I'll ever go through this anguish.

We brought the new pup home last Sunday. :cool:

Peace, my friend. Happy trails, Gordon.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
I'm not too tough to admit that your post brought tears to my eyes, Hack. Many years ago, I held my little dog in my arms when she was put down and took comfort in knowing that the last thing she saw was the love in my eyes. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
My condolences, Hack. I'm really so sorry to hear about this. He looks like such an awesome pet, and i bet you all had an amazing, happy, love-filled life together. I also know how painful it is to lose a close friend, but sometimes it's for the best. September last year, our cat Jack (18 years old) had a tumour, and because of his age he couldn't have it operated on, so he had to be put down. It destroyed me.

The poem Jeff posted ^^^^^^^ helped me a great deal, as did the site that it came from (petloss.com).

It's time to remember all the good times you had together, and also remember we're all here for you dude should you want to have a talk. Take it easy buddy, you're in our thoughts.

cwness

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it Hack but I also know you gave him a happy life.
Get another puppy it helps. Every time I look at my avatar I
remember the ones she replaced. She was 6 weeks old in
the pic and it's hard to believe it's been 3 1/2 happy years.

CW

BillB1960

Reaction score
Condolences. Just know you're doing the right thing. You have to grieve then things will get better.

poncho

Banned
Reaction score
Goddamn, that's sad. So sorry Hack. My dog is one of my best friends, so I can only imagine how heartbreaking this must be for you

You are doing the right thing, even if it seems like the hardest thing to do

He's a real beauty, and always will be

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Hack , I feel for you. My dog ,Ian, a beauty of a brindle mutt had painful hips. I held him as he got the needle. No more pain. Afterlife? I believe. If not? Be together in oblivion soon. No regrets. He had a life filled with excitement, what more can a boy ask for?
LinkWray+Ron Asheton are waiting in the void.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUuHiZPgnA[/ame]

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
Very sorry Hack.

Sad to lose a friend.

Peace Brother
:)

Latest Threads