Lose sustain with Aluminum tailpiece.

joesatch

Reaction score
When i switched to aluminum, i lost sustain. It is true. When i switched back to the heavy tailpiece, notes rang longer and harmonics were stronger.

joesatch

Reaction score
I have them. Screwed down tight as hell. Can't get 14th fret pinch harmonics on the 3rd string. With the heavier tailpiece i can.

Frogfur

Reaction score
Ok..then stick with that if it works for you. I personally switched to an Aluminum stop bar only because someone gave me one. I find that it brightened the sound to what ears i have left. Worked great and I'm sticking with it. Also added a ABR Bridge with nylon Saddles which together really gave me a balanced sound that is fantastic.

Mine-
[/URL][/IMG]
Sorry the photo is so large.

dspelman

Reaction score
When i switched to aluminum, i lost sustain. It is true. When i switched back to the heavy tailpiece, notes rang longer and harmonics were stronger.
I have heavy brass tailpieces on a couple of guitars. But on most of them the bridges are also fairly heavy and dense, and on a few they're screwed into a 10 ounce hunk of brass bolted inside a rout in a solid mahogany body. Now we're talking sustain.

joesatch

Reaction score
Why did you switch to Aluminum in the first place?
Its an R7. Came with it. Already put the callaham bridge. (albeit had to go to work on it with a file cause the machining sucked.)

joesatch

Reaction score
OK i just bought the Callaham tailpiece. $107 ouch. I hope this solves it, its machined out of steel. Might also be time for a brass nut, hmm.

lunchbox

Reaction score
I like the stock zinc tp's. I've never had a problem with tone or sustain from them.

I did notice a huge difference having an aluminum wraparound on a CS Special; it was thin sounding. Cool in it's own way, but too thin for the type of music I play.

I have zinc bridge and tp with locking studs on my current Standard, and it sounds great.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was always under the assumption that the reason folks went to or want the light weight tail is because that is how the Holy Grail of guitars was setup.

So this is the first time I am actually reading that some will deviate from that original setup. Usually a LP owner will "upgrade" his guitar to be more like the '59 not less...

Perhaps this starts a trend? I have a worn heavy tail piece I was thinking about installing on my 81.. Only because since I put the aged tuners on her I dislike the brand new look of my Faber lightweight tail. Not because of tone or lack of sustain.

voggin

Reaction score
I was always under the assumption that the reason folks went to or want the light weight tail is because that is how the Holy Grail of guitars was setup.

So this is the first time I am actually reading that some will deviate from that original setup. Usually a LP owner will "upgrade" his guitar to be more like the '59 not less...

Perhaps this starts a trend? I have a worn heavy tail piece I was thinking about installing on my 81.. Only because since I put the aged tuners on her I dislike the brand new look of my Faber lightweight tail. Not because of tone or lack of sustain.
Maybe the cycle has started again. I remember in the late 70s early 80s, everything was about "sustain", from pancake bodies to neck-through construction to heavy tailpieces to brass nuts. I believe at one point Yamaha would let you special order an entire Ford Anglia built into the body of an SBG 3000. I remember my poor soaking-wet 130 lb 16 year-old frame trying to wear some of those monsters on a strap.

My Les Paul Classifieds