Loose Toggle Switch Help LP

74Evan

Reaction score
The toggle switch on my '74 LP is loose and I'm trying to tighten it. I unscrewed it from the guitar (it wasn't the mounting that was loose which is usually the problem) but rather the actual switch has a little wobble in it when in the middle position and it is a little annoying so I've decided to fix it. Now I've heard I can simply press on the metal clamps to tighten it that way but the switch won't fully come out of the guitar; only half way making it un-accessible. Any suggestions?

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unless there's some wire slack in the pickup cavities, it'll be difficult to get at the contactors.
You might be able to slide a thin flat blade in there, but you could just as easily screw the switch up if you cant see, and then test it out of the guitar.
At that point, might as well get a new switch unless you're bound an determined to keep it all original.

FWIW, I kept the original switch on my '78 LP when I restored it, but it got an all new wiring harness. The switch was fine.

74Evan

Reaction score
I had the same idea. I opened up the cavity and there seems to be just a tiny bit of slack. I'll see what I can do. Also (since I don't really know all that much about internal guitar wiring) what is this little wire and where does it go? It's attached to the neck pickup pots but there isn't one on the bridge pots.

Attachments

• IMAG0516_1.jpg
    IMAG0516_1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,160

74Evan

Reaction score
Okay so I've clamped down the contacting pieces of metal that move when you flick the switch and it doesn't move between positions anymore but it still has wiggle side to side (not side to side towards each pickup position but side to side from the head stock to the bottom). Is this fixable or would a new switch be needed to cure that?

chasenblues

Reaction score
142854d1437529039-loose-toggle-switch-help-lp-imag0516_1.jpg

That wire is the ground wire to the tailpiece stud,
The bare wire next to it is soldered to the back of the pots connect's it with the ground.

emoney

Reaction score
If you're playing the guitar as a "main", then just change out the switch. If you're worried
about keeping it "all original", then save the switch and put it back in when you decide
to get rid of it, which seems to be the only time people worry about keeping things original.

74Evan

Reaction score
If you're playing the guitar as a "main", then just change out the switch. If you're worried
about keeping it "all original", then save the switch and put it back in when you decide
to get rid of it, which seems to be the only time people worry about keeping things original.

Alright. I guess I'll just replace it then. Does Gibson sell replacement switches or do you have to buy an aftermarket one? If so which brand?

chasenblues

Reaction score
You'll have to buy the switch tip separately for the the Stew-Mac switch.If you need/want it.

*Check your switch to see if you have a "long" shaft or "Short" shaft..Not sure myself which type you may have.*

Switchcraft Toggle Switches | stewmac.com
Switchcraft_Toggle_Switches.jpg

Switchcraft Long 3-way toggle switch Nickel - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

*You will need a deep threaded nut(sold separately) if you will be installing this switch though the guitar body like on a Gibson Les Paul.*

apiegpcyb__22743.1420039145.1280.1280.jpg

apibfma6o__81205.1358283754.465.500.jpg

Nickel Deep Nut Coarse knurl Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch - Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies, LLC

moreles

Reaction score
Switches do wear out sometimes. The blades are springs, and if you know what you're doing you can sometimes bend them properly. I know few people who think that a 74 is so precious that they would object to having a non-working switch replaced! Keep the old one to satisfy any insane delusional fetishists in the future. Actually, you can probably find an identical replacement!

Latest Threads