loose selector switch

smewborn

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to fix a 3 way switch that won't stay in the down position? When I select the down position it shortly will snap back to the center position; no issues with it slipping while in the up position. I appreciate any suggestions!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is likely one of two things, the switch is too deep in the body (poker chip added to a guitar that did not originally have one) or the knob on the button is aftermarket and too large.
Both of these will cause the knob to hit the side and not fully seat into either position.
There can also be an issue with the way the reeds are positioned that can cause this. They can be bent to correct it, the switch would need to be removed to see what needs to be done.

Last edited:

smewborn

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate the info! Just trying to keep my guitar as original as possible.

smewborn

Reaction score
Funny follow up to the selector switch issue! I was watching some guitar demo videos and came across my guitar. I noticed that the switch tip was missing during the demo and the sales rep even referenced the tip was removed to prevent them from walking out the door! It's the first video I've seen without a switch tip ever that I recall??? Needless to say all I did was loosen the switch tip a few turns and boom the switch locked in all 3 positions.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll definitely look into the washers and the loctite. I've heard about that somewhere. Where can I buy it?
Tim
An "internal tooth" washer is what you need on the inside. Not a good place for loctite, and it damages nitro.
3/8" IIRC.
I have been putting them on all pots, jacks and switches for 30+ years.
In the unlikely event the part comes loose you can tighten it from the outside without fear if spinning it; which is VERY handy especially with archtops where access is difficult.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the internal tooth washers hard to find?
Readily available on Amazon or at Lowe's, but bear in mind that it will pull the switch back into the body and could worsen the issue of the knob hitting the side.

smewborn

Reaction score
Guess I just need to find a Switchcraft Brand Tip in case the current tip is aftermarket.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
As for a good tool that also has other uses, look up "ESP multi spanner".
Also good for the nuts on pots and jacks, and prying knobs up safely.

unknownfan

Reaction score
My Classic arrived last week with the selector nut off and laying in the case too... I'm guessing maybe a Friday afternoon when they were put on LOL

Latest Threads