Loose black wire

sinister_n00b

Reaction score
Howdy folks.

As you might have guessed from my username, I'm a southpaw and a newbie (I briefly tried to learn guitar right-handed a while back but got frustrated and gave up).

I just bought my first guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I'm the second owner; the first owner bought it in '06 and barely used it. It hums more than I expected when I plug it in, so I decided to take a look inside.

Here's what I found:

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/sinister_n00b/IMG_2337-2.jpg

(I unplugged the wiring harness to get an unobstructed picture)
There's a black wire with one end that has come loose, circled in the lower green circle. The other end disappears into the body next to the top pot (upper green circle), so I can't be sure where it goes. But I am sure that the loose end should be connected to *something*.

Can somebody please tell me where it should be soldered down? Or better yet, show me a photo showing where it goes? I've got soldering skills (I dare say, much better soldering skills than whoever put my guitar together) but I know nothing about guitar wiring.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I tried to embed the photo but all I could manage was a link. Sorry.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
I cannot see the pic at work, but it sounds like a bridge ground wire.

It should be connected to one of the potentiometers (pots). Normally it will be connected to the cloest pot to the hole where the wire protrudes (rhythm pickup volume I think...have to think backwards...LOL

If you cannot do the solder work, take it your local tech...it's a 1-minute job. :D

Welcome to the forum!!!

BB

admchn

Reaction score
It might be the grounding wire to the bridge, though I'm not 100%.

edit: BB beat me to it :p

Latest Threads