Loopers

LeslieFan

Reaction score
Thinking about buying my first Looper and have a couple of questions.

Say I plug the Looper into the effects Loop of a Katana 100 MKII. I record what I want to noodle over.

Then I change patches and effects for the noodling. Will that affect the looper ? Like if if I record a clean chord progression on the looper but use the delay on the amp while noodling, will the delay be heard on the recording on the looper itself ?

The reason I ask is because the block diagram to the amp shows the Katana's effects are post-effects loop.

Last edited:

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I'm surprised a Katana user hasn't chimed in yet.

I don't own a Katana, but if its effects are added POST the effects loop, the effects are added after the effects loop.

A looper in the effects-loop will record before the effects are added to the mix..

mdubya

Reaction score
Before modeling, I would record my rhythm loops into one amp, and play my lead parts through a second. It wasn't very high tech but it sure sounded good.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Think of it this way. The looper is nothing more than a digital recorder, multi-track in some cases. Ergo it will record whatever it receives at whatever point in the chain it is at. It will play that back at that same point.

SO, if there are effects AFTER the FX return, then yes it will affect what the looper is doing/playing.

PREFACE: I do not have a Katana

However, with a little research I found there is a setting that will put the FX loop after Delay and Reverb2, i.e. at the end of the chain.

From one forum

"
However, in that update they also provided a way to move the FX loop so that it is after delay2 and reverb . This is done on BTS by selecting the "S/R" setting and changing the loop setting from the default "Post Amp" to "Post Rev"."

S/R setting being the send/return tab in Tone Studio

mdubya

Reaction score
Think of it this way. The looper is nothing more than a digital recorder, multi-track in some cases. Ergo it will record whatever it receives at whatever point in the chain it is at. It will play that back at that same point.

SO, if there are effects AFTER the FX return, then yes it will affect what the looper is doing/playing.

PREFACE: I do not have a Katana

However, with a little research I found there is a setting that will put the FX loop after Delay and Reverb2, i.e. at the end of the chain.

From one forum

"
However, in that update they also provided a way to move the FX loop so that it is after delay2 and reverb . This is done on BTS by selecting the "S/R" setting and changing the loop setting from the default "Post Amp" to "Post Rev"."

S/R setting being the send/return tab in Tone Studio
That is how I do it in the AX8. Looper goes last. The rhythm track maintains its tone, though I am not in the habit of switching to a different model for lead. I am sure I could set up a scene with a different amp for lead tones. I could probably set up the stereo looper to split the lead and rhythm dubs left and right, too. But I am too busy playing to stop and figure that out.

Google is a great resource for these types of questions. Never fails. If I can think of it, it is probably possible.

LeslieFan

Reaction score
However, with a little research I found there is a setting that will put the FX loop after Delay and Reverb2, i.e. at the end of the chain....
Thanks, that sounds interesting. I don't own a Katana, but one is on my short list.

I'm in the process of deciding on whether I want to give such an amp a chance rather than buying a tube amp/pedals rig. Which can add up quick cost-wise. And I think I'd dig a Looper.

Latest Threads