Looks line I'm on my way to phaez #4!

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
I've had a 2009 14watt Phaez DaisyCutter
A 2010 18 DC with torridial PT
And most recently my 20 watt JTM/Dumble

Now I've got the itch again.

A little background for ya'. My jtm/dumble sat at my carpenter buddys house for 3 and a half months without him getting around to building a cab for it. During that time I decided to sell my lopoline 212 since he was supposed to build me a combo cab. I then started shopping around my Celestion blue (which just recently got bought). Stopped by my buddys house and the amp hadn't even been looked at. So I took it home and borrowed my old mans 4x10 cab. Which it sounds good through but its just not the same. I then sold my scumnico to Rockinhorse1 (it's going out tomorrow btw bro). Anyways the 4x10 is too loud for home use. And I can't afford to buy another cab as I just bought a resonator (deal was too good to refuse). Discouraged I decided I'd put my amp up for sale, thinking the champ and reso will hold me off until I start gigging again (which is relatively soon 3-4 months)

I then talked to Bill to see how much a lower wattage P-51 would be for when I start gigging again. Lo and behold I can afford it plus a cab once I sell my amp and a few other things. Bills very busy at the moment so Randy will build the amp and it will be under the Phaez name. Not going to add any bells and whistles other than a TS bypass switch. It's going to be a very simple build compared to my last amp. This also means It'll be more affordable than my last amp. Which is why I can afford it once I sell the JTM/dumble

So its a 20/9 watt P-51. 20 watts EL34 or I can swap in a 6v6 for 9 watts.

So.... who calls first dibs on my current phaez? :laugh2:

arkamps

Reaction score
I've had a 2009 14watt Phaez DaisyCutter
A 2010 18 DC with torridial PT
And most recently my 20 watt JTM/Dumble

Now I've got the itch again.

A little background for ya'. My jtm/dumble sat at my carpenter buddys house for 3 and a half months without him getting around to building a cab for it. During that time I decided to sell my lopoline 212 since he was supposed to build me a combo cab. I then started shopping around my Celestion blue (which just recently got bought). Stopped by my buddys house and the amp hadn't even been looked at. So I took it home and borrowed my old mans 4x10 cab. Which it sounds good through but its just not the same. I then sold my scumnico to Rockinhorse1 (it's going out tomorrow btw bro). Anyways the 4x10 is too loud for home use. And I can't afford to buy another cab as I just bought a resonator (deal was too good to refuse). Discouraged I decided I'd put my amp up for sale, thinking the champ and reso will hold me off until I start gigging again (which is relatively soon 3-4 months)

I then talked to Bill to see how much a lower wattage P-51 would be for when I start gigging again. Lo and behold I can afford it plus a cab once I sell my amp and a few other things. Bills very busy at the moment so Randy will build the amp and it will be under the Phaez name. Not going to add any bells and whistles other than a TS bypass switch. It's going to be a very simple build compared to my last amp. This also means It'll be more affordable than my last amp. Which is why I can afford it once I sell the JTM/dumble

So its a 20/9 watt P-51. 20 watts EL34 or I can swap in a 6v6 for 9 watts.

So.... who calls first dibs on my current phaez? :laugh2:

It will still have the Armstrong name on it, but with a different looking face panel and Randy at the soldering iron;)

Armstrong Amps was partly Randy's idea by the way, he encouraged me to go for it.

Not sure of the new name since it is a new model basically, I will sleep on that one...

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
Either way I bet I can still expect an amp that will blow me away :)

I guess I can say its my 4th Randy made amp

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
Since this a different version of the P-51 it needs a new name.

I wanna keep it in the fighter jet realm how Bill originally named the P-51

Any suggestions? So far I've come up with F-20 (tigershark)

Buggaluggs

Reaction score
Messerschmitt?

C'mon? If you're going to go non-US, it has to be Spitfire

images
images

It is the Marshall of the air, if you will.

R8R6Ben

Reaction score
call it te Zero and have a huge rd circle on you speaker cab

phaezamp

Reaction score
Merry New Year! (in the voice of Eddie Murphy in Trading Places)

A single EL34/KT77 will get you a max of about 12W fwiw.

A 6V6, run hard, will get you about 9w.
Those are both into clipping and power measured by 'area under the curve'.

Still plenty loud IMO. It doesn't seem right that a 2 EL34's can get you 50+ watts yet one is far less than half that. You have to consider the class of operation. 50W PP AB. The tubes can dissipate much more current because they are cooling for half the cycle. And push-pull is much the same as bridging a stereo amp. You are adding voltage, and power increases by the SQUARE of the voltage increase.
A single tube will be operating in Class A, and hence do not shut off (ie cool).

If 10-12w is a little low, you could consider PP 6V6 or EL84's.

Best,
Randy

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
Merry New Year! (in the voice of Eddie Murphy in Trading Places)

A single EL34/KT77 will get you a max of about 12W fwiw.

A 6V6, run hard, will get you about 9w.
Those are both into clipping and power measured by 'area under the curve'.

Still plenty loud IMO. It doesn't seem right that a 2 EL34's can get you 50+ watts yet one is far less than half that. You have to consider the class of operation. 50W PP AB. The tubes can dissipate much more current because they are cooling for half the cycle. And push-pull is much the same as bridging a stereo amp. You are adding voltage, and power increases by the SQUARE of the voltage increase.
A single tube will be operating in Class A, and hence do not shut off (ie cool).

If 10-12w is a little low, you could consider PP 6V6 or EL84's.

Best,
Randy

Actually that's better. I was going to get the 20 watts and I was limiting my speaker search to inefficient speakers to keep the volume down. I guess I can widen my search now. Thinking about an M75 or H75 in a 1x12.

Happy new year!

Latest Threads