Lookng for a new flavor of P-90's

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
I just acquired a Gibson Les Paul Classic Player w/ Stock P90's
I've had Gibson P-90's in other guitars and I liked them, but in this LP they are muddy and dull sounding. especially the neck pick up.
The treble pick up seems weak and nasally.
I.ve been w/o a real Gibson LP for a while and am asking the forum members to recommend some more balanced P-90's that won't break the bank
Looking for vintage voiced or a little over wound
Please chime in
Thanks

1583082978828.png

Attachments

• 1583082932781.png
    1583082932781.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 24

Roxy13

Reaction score
Vineham makes 3 different ones, including vintage voiced (early to mid 50s sound).

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
...some more balanced P-90's that won't break the bank
Looking for vintage voiced or a little over wound
Please chime in
Thanks
Thats a really nice LP you have there!
In case you don't shy away from 'Harley Benton' ...get from THOMANN their ROSWELL P90ies (as spare parts) I have them in my 2013 Goldtop and two other LPs - they beat the Gibson originals in every aspect. You'll save heeps of dollars and you'll be surprised. You may use 500K Vol potentiometers without treble bleeders.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I would also(or instead of) replace the harness and caps.
Also consider mini buckers or a Gretsch type pickup that will just drop into the same size cavity.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
SD Noise Canceling P90s sound good on my Epi LP — in addition to getting rid of P90 buzz at higher gain levels.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I have/had a set of Zhangbucker p90s in my main gigging guitar. I went with the Sweet V in the bridge, and it sounds fantastic. Crisp, punchy, not too honky. Definitely worth the investment. This was my first real experiment with p90s. I ended up going back to a PAF bucker in that guitar, but that was only because I preferred the bolder sound and lower noise floor (I use a fair amount of gain and often play in places with dirty power). I would have kept the p90 bridge if I played cleaner more often. I did keep the neck p90, which he did with 1/4" A5 rods. It sounds like a cross between a staple p90 and a big Fender neck pickup. It is amazing.

Dave is currently running a sale, so getting a set ordered is even cheaper than his normally fair prices.

I don't have any connection to him other than loving his pickups. I've got his in my 3 favorite guitars; a 72 Custom-type Tele build, my Gibson LP, and the LP build I put the p90s in.

www.zhangbucker.com

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed new CTS 500K pots and some Emerson Bumblebee PIO Capacitors (0.022uf bridge and 0.015uf neck)
and adjusted the pup height and it seemed to help quite a bit, so ill be leaving the stock P-90's in for a while
I'll keep my eyes open and if I find some used boutique pick ups at a good price down the road I'll get them and try them out

mdubya

Reaction score
Lower the neck p/u, raise the bridge p/u. Dial back the tone on the bridge pickup a bit. Dial back the volume on the neck pickup a bit.

I have 4 P-90 guitars. 3 have the standard Gibson A5 P-90's. They scream. They also are very sensitive to adjustment.

A2 or A3 magnets will tame the neck pickup if lowering isn't enough.

More detailed photos would help.

Or contact James at Rewind or Tyson Tone and tell them what you want and they will make it so.

Height adjustment on my SG

HZiApDx.jpg

The Firebird required some adjustment. The LP is perfect as is.

PA53xPC.jpg

Even the ES 330 has plenty of grunt in the bridge pickup. I shimmed the neck p/u UP a little bit for MORE output. A2 magnets.

e2PafCQ.jpg

Deftone

Reaction score
I really dig my wolfetones

Played mine yesterday in my '67 SG jr. I lowered the neck pup as recommended by mdubya.

IMG_1946a.JPG

Holy crap, what a difference. I love these pickups. I'm thinking another set for my ES-135. I mean, if it 'aint broke, why fix it? Right?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I recommend

Tyson tone i have those in a es-5 copy. I get real jazzy early Kenny Burrell midnight blue tones from it.

Wolfetone meaner and Lindy fralin p90 i got the fralin wound hotter to 8.2k with a alnico 2 to match the winding of the wolfetone which was also 8.2k and alnico 2 to put inside a blonde epiphone 330. Luckily they were both in the same phase n i really like how they sound together.

My 3rd pair of p90s is my electric city 50s in my tokai love rock goldtop. I can't say enough good things about them. In fact i got a video of them.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Lower the neck p/u, raise the bridge p/u. Dial back the tone on the bridge pickup a bit. Dial back the volume on the neck pickup a bit.

I have 4 P-90 guitars. 3 have the standard Gibson A5 P-90's. They scream. They also are very sensitive to adjustment.

A2 or A3 magnets will tame the neck pickup if lowering isn't enough.

More detailed photos would help.

Or contact James at Rewind or Tyson Tone and tell them what you want and they will make it so.

Height adjustment on my SG

HZiApDx.jpg

The Firebird required some adjustment. The LP is perfect as is.

PA53xPC.jpg

Even the ES 330 has plenty of grunt in the bridge pickup. I shimmed the neck p/u UP a little bit for MORE output. A2 magnets.

e2PafCQ.jpg

Id really love to get my hands on a TV yellow les Paul but i NEED non reverse firebird but they're hard to get. I think I'll just save up and get a Gibson one.

Latest Threads