Looking to try some new strings

David Garner

Reaction score
If you want to try something different, try the DA NYXLs. They’re more expensive but worth it. They are acoustically louder and very punchy amplified. Last longer, almost as long as coated strings for me, They’re constructed differently than the regular DA XLs, which are old standbys for many.
Agree. I used to think they were overpriced snake oil until I tried them. Now I have NYXL 9-42 on everything.

Airplane

Reaction score
for years i was chasing the 60s tone coupled with good playability. i succeeded one or two years ago, i guess it’s time to learn how to play now!

i use three flatwound thomastik infeld as bass strings (jazz swing) and dr pure blues pure nickel (from a set of 10s) for the G B and E. the flats last forever so the higher price doesn‘t bother me. people claim the „jazz“ flats are dark and have no sustain, and they are sort of right, but that’s what makes the 60s tone for me. the slightly dampeded tone of the flats actually result in more presence of the overall guitar tone and gives the instrument more mids. stays in tune forever with a well set up guitar. i have this mix of strings on my 60‘s ES, tele and all kinds of guitars now.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been buying strings in bulk from www.juststrings.com for a number of years. For a time, I had switched to D'Addario and Slynkys, and to be honest, couldn't tell a difference.

If you ever want to save some dough, or make up your own custom sets, I highly recommend them.
I've been meaning to try them for a while and keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.

Stewmac sells D'Addario in bulk if anyone's interested.

Lately, with arthritis and old age creeping in I've gone to the Hybrid Slinkys in the orange pack, substituting an .014 for the g-string, because I play in G and E a lot. This makes bending near the nut a lot easier.
Nice to hear this. I recently picked up a set of the hybrids but I haven't put them on anything yet.

gball

Reaction score
Man, reading though this thread has got me thinking I really need to give 9's a try again. It's been a while (probably 20+ years) since I used them on my Gibsons but I think now is the time.

jadm110

Reaction score
Ernie Ball makes 8's
and Dunlap makes 7-38

good news for those who play with arthritis

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
You may also want to think about going to 9.5's. I always played 10/46 on the Gibsons and 9/42 on the Fenders. Then I started using 9.5/ 44's and found I just liked them better. Used to be hard to find but now several people make them.

madh4ttr

Reaction score
For my opinion, I hate EB strings. Die quickly. D'Addario are the ones I use and last a good while. Give them a try.

Alasdair George

Reaction score
I've pretty much always had green Slinkys as my go to. What are some thoughts on a few different varieties of brands that I could tamper with. Speaking for my standard with BB1 and 2 pops.
I know this has prolly been beat to death but I just worked 13 hours in the rain in 40 degree weather and didnt feel like digging, plus you all can share your favorite brand
I've been using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky (9 - 46) for 30+ years now, although I'm intrigued by the Turbo Slinky (9.5 - 46), which I may give a go. That said, as my hands get older, I'm not sure that any thicker gauge is a good idea! I've heard tell that EBs have a shorter lifespan than other makes, but as I wipe down after every play, I've never had a real problem with that.

LP1865

Reaction score
Just a question to Daddario users, did you find the Daddarios brighter and longer lasting than the Ebs

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
i used to use daddario 10s but my acidic hands eat through strings - talking about black strings within a day of restringing

if you are similar, may i highly suggest elixirs. I have been using them for almost a month now and no blacking or notable degradation

Reaction score
I just grabbed some NYXLs 10-52s, and 9s.

Will throw them on in a few days when I'm not exhausted after the 13 hour work days lol

Steven

Reaction score
I have been playing for over 50 years, and have yet to settle on one particular brand of strings that would suit all my electrics.

judson

Reaction score
Ernie Ballsack beefy slinky 11-54 or the regular 10- 46 top wrapped

your results may vary...

Latest Threads