Looking to try some new strings

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I've been buying strings in bulk from www.juststrings.com for a number of years. For a time, I had switched to D'Addario and Slynkys, and to be honest, couldn't tell a difference.

If you ever want to save some dough, or make up your own custom sets, I highly recommend them.

AJK1

Reaction score
I’ve been really like pure nickel strings on my LesPaul. Specifically, the Ernie Ball Rock n Rolls and GHS Nickel Rockers. GHS makes great strings in general.
Yep I use them on my LP’s as well

sonar1

Reaction score
I like GHS Nickel Rockers when I want nickel wound, vs nickel plated steel wound, strings.
Presently everything has Earnie Ball green package Slinkies.

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
It's mostly out of habit than any special reason, but I've always just used the standard D'Addario 9's as my go to, I think it's the XL but gotta check the packaging again...when I'm feeling adventurous I sometimes use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's. I definitely prefer 9's over 10's feel wise.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I recently bought about 20 packs of all different brands of strings - Ernie Ball, D'Addario regular and NYXLs, DRs, GHS, Dean Markley, Gibson, the list goes on. Where I landed is that it almost makes no difference to me as long as the guages are consistent. I can't tell what brand is on what guitar (except for the colored balls on D'Addario, dead giveaway). If anything, I notice the biggest difference between hex and round core, regardless of brand.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I recently bought about 20 packs of all different brands of strings - Ernie Ball, D'Addario regular and NYXLs, DRs, GHS, Dean Markley, Gibson, the list goes on. Where I landed is that it almost makes no difference to me as long as the guages are consistent. I can't tell what brand is on what guitar (except for the colored balls on D'Addario, dead giveaway). If anything, I notice the biggest difference between hex and round core, regardless of brand.
+1

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pyramids are great. Hybrid Slinky was my go-to for a while, also really good. Have Elixirs on my #1 at the moment and they're great. I just bought a pack of DR Tite-Fits to put on my newest axe, so we'll see.

I'm with @TheWelder , don't think there is a huge difference between brands as long as gauge and construction are similar.

Cory

Reaction score
I've pretty much always had green Slinkys as my go to. What are some thoughts on a few different varieties of brands that I could tamper with. Speaking for my standard with BB1 and 2 pops.
I know this has prolly been beat to death but I just worked 13 hours in the rain in 40 degree weather and didnt feel like digging, plus you all can share your favorite brand
I recently tried out some Gibson vintage reissue strings (10-46) and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how much of a difference they made in terms of feel and tone - I’ve changed out all my strings on my LP’s & 335’s to them now - I would definitely recommend trying a set out.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
If you want to try something different, try the DA NYXLs. They’re more expensive but worth it. They are acoustically louder and very punchy amplified. Last longer, almost as long as coated strings for me, They’re constructed differently than the regular DA XLs, which are old standbys for many.
I'm trying a set of these. They're essentially a NYXL with a thin coating, but you cant feel it.
Same price. So far pretty good for me.

daddario-xte0946.jpg

Latest Threads