Looking to try some new strings

Reaction score
I've pretty much always had green Slinkys as my go to. What are some thoughts on a few different varieties of brands that I could tamper with. Speaking for my standard with BB1 and 2 pops.
I know this has prolly been beat to death but I just worked 13 hours in the rain in 40 degree weather and didnt feel like digging, plus you all can share your favorite brand

BDW60

Reaction score
If you want to try something different, try the DA NYXLs. They’re more expensive but worth it. They are acoustically louder and very punchy amplified. Last longer, almost as long as coated strings for me, They’re constructed differently than the regular DA XLs, which are old standbys for many.

Reaction score
If you want to try something different, try the DA NYXLs. They’re more expensive but worth it. They are acoustically louder and very punchy amplified. Last longer, almost as long as coated strings for me, They’re constructed differently than the regular DA XLs, which are old standbys for many.
Cool, I'll write that down. Would you consider it a goto for you?

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
EB Ultra Slinky typically (10-48) but I do venture into LTHB (10-52) from EB or DA.

BDW60

Reaction score
Cool, I'll write that down. Would you consider it a goto for you?
I’ve only bought 3 sets so far, but I think I may be headed that way. I hate changing strings (just lazy) so the longer life is a bonus. Have used Elixirs for years mainly because they last forever but this is a way for me to go back to uncoated and still get a long run out of a set. Plus, they are definitely louder. I was shocked when I put the first set on.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try em in 9.5s
66BAC9D4-0404-4634-8FED-C85CEE18E88E.jpeg

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
It’s like the three bears. The 9.5s are just right for me.
Totally agree! Someone might think 12's are weak lol. To each their own! I was 10's for the first year of playing just b/c I was told that was standard. Then I tried 9.5's and was like WOW! I can do more! LOL! And then I tried 9's and was like, wow I'm doing even more. Then I tried 8's and the wheels fell of the cart and crashed back to earth lol. So it's 9's for me, with a sprinkling of 9.5's to keep it interesting!

Reaction score
I must be a wussie! I've been really liking going down a string size to 9's and the EB pink pack. I'm somewhat of a noob though, so maybe I'm not Hercules like you all ;p
Yeah I've rocked those but they dont feel like they have enough substance

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I played Ernie Ball 10's for years til I saw a Rick Beato video linked here about string gauges. After watching that I went back to EB 9's and haven't gone back
LoL me too! That's why I gave 9's another try. When I first started playing again, after 20+ years of NOT playing, I tried various strings and 10's felt the best. 9's felt too "slippery". However, where I am at now, feel wise. 9's give me the best balance of feel and attack. Maybe next year I'll say 9.5's or 10's are best, for me. But that is IMO, where I'm at in my feable journey to becoming better. I would never presume to know what's best for another person/player. We each have our own preferences etc.....

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks LocoTex , just watched the Rick Beato video. Pretty interesting. Will give 9’s a try again.

Have used D’Addario EXL 10’s for years, but have been switching it up a bit lately.
Have been using Dean Markley Blue Steel in .10’s, sound great.
Also, Ernie Ball .10 Slinky’s, sound great as well.
I do like the Gibson Vintage Nickel also.

Definitely going to try 0.9’s, maybe 0.8’s in the near future.

Reaction score
This is an awesome discussion! I've got a pair of LPs I'll slap some diff brands on. I've always heard good things about DA's but never strung anything I've owned with them

Latest Threads