Looking to bring my Univox back to life

shadow7874

Reaction score
Ive had a pretty decent American made strat but im starting to enjoy playing this old univox way more then I do it so I thought it would be nice to bring it back to life a bit. This leaves me with a few questions.

The electronics seem to be fine (the pots scratch a tiny bit but its went away with a bit of use it seems). Would I see any difference (good or bad) if I bought all new hardware and did all the wiring? I may look into pu's as well but Im not too knowledgable as far as my options there so that is on hold for the moment unless you guys have some suggestions.

Is all of the hardware pretty much the same as a normal Les Paul? All of the metal is worn or pitted pretty bad so id like to revamp it with some fresh gold but im not sure where to buy from. About the only thing on the body that doesnt need to be replaced is the pick guard and maybe control knobs.

shadow7874

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the hardware

img2286x.jpg

img2288d.jpg

img2289d.jpg

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Gotoh metric hardware should fit. If the PUs are real humbuckers you may want to make sure you have 500K pots. Also, paper-in-oil caps (0.022µF) are a good and cheap tone upgrade. The guitar is not spectacular, so I wouldn't go spending too much.

mertzy

Reaction score
Cool looking guitar, more important than the hardware (if it's functional) is get a tech to do a setup. From the looks of the saddles I can't imagine that your intonation is set properly.

shadow7874

Reaction score
I know the guitar might not be the best. Im going to head to guitar center either tonight and tomorrow and play a few real les pauls hopefully before I sink any money into this. But I do like how it plays and I also like the fact that its from the late 70s and not a new off the shelf lp. Here are a couple pics of the insides. All of the pots seem to have 4 digits some im a bit confused as to what they are exactly without removing the solder. And I googled the capacitor and found that it is most likely a 0.033µF cap.

also are all 4 pots the same normally?

img2279p.jpg

img2280be.jpg

rayspang

Reaction score
You can pick up inexpensive replacement hardware from guitar fetish. If the tuners are worn out, look for a used set of Grovers from someone thats upgrading their epiphone LP.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I see 2 zeros, so either 300k or 500k. You would have to measure to be sure. Also, the guitar looks to be made of real wood instead of ply. I would go for the caps first. You can get a couple of 0.022 PIOs on ebay for 10 or 12 bucks.

Latest Threads