Looking into a new Les Paul

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
So I had an LP100 that I sold last year after I got my Schecter Omen Elite (typical S-type super strat kinda deal) but over the last few months, I’m realizing I messed up leaving myself without some form of a Les Paul.

So I’ve been looking and really the only place I can go try them is Guitar Center. I’ve noticed a seemingly large variance in the size of the necks, which shouldn’t be a big deal but I’ve gotten spoiled with the size of the Schecter Thin C neck.

Obviously Epiphone doesn’t make that thin of neck but I’d still like to know a good starting point as far as the thinner necks available nowadays. I was actually at GC today but the only ones they had were 50s necks which felt huge. But after looking around on here, the thinner Epi necks were the Slimtaper D or the Asymmetrical Slim Taper. I did get my hands on a white Les Paul Muse at GC but despite the Epi website saying they’re made of mahogany, it’s actually made with Okoume and the body was thinner and didn’t seem heavy enough to be an LP, but the neck shape was great. I wanted to try the Modern

Basically I’m looking for a full thickness LP and a neck on the thinner side. Not worried about pickups, if I don’t like them, it’ll get some Dominions. Any recommendations?

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
If you like thinner necks, maybe consider the Prophecy or Modern series? Muse is fine too if you like the thinner body.

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
Yeah I wasn’t a fan of the thinner body. Just didn’t feel like an LP. So the Asymmetrical Slim Taper, how does it compare to the Slim Taper D? Id go try one but nobody near me has one.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
The Slim Taper D is very similar to the "Thin U" you find on ESPs/LTDs - so fairly flat, but with a bit more shoulder when compared to the C - the way I would describe it is that it's closer to holding onto a smoothed out rectangle vs. a thin cylinder.

Supposedly, the assymetrical slim taper is meant to give you a bit more shoulder on the bass side - which it does ... kind of. It feels more like a C, but a bit more thinned out on the treble side so if you anchor your thumb and reach for your lower register notes, it feels like there's a bit more room.

Personally not very sensitive to neck profiles and fretboard radius. I say that only because to be honest I only feel "thin" and "thick" (and even then I really don't have a preference).

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
I can’t say that I’m super picky, I’d probably adjust to whatever I got. But I know that I accidentally picked the 50s Std instead of the 60s Std and it felt like a baseball bat. The 60s Std next to it didn’t feel much smaller, if any smaller, but I wouldn’t be surprised if GC had it mislabeled. I’ll have to keep an eye on their website and maybe call them before I go out there. It says they have a Modern there but I didn’t see it with the rest of the LPs. Might have to go back and see if I missed it. I’d think it’d be difficult to miss a LP in that Faded Pelham Blue but who knows.

I also saw a fair amount of people mention there’s a fair amount of variance in the actual size of necks even within the same shapes, so I might have wait until they more in stock or different ones and try them till one feels right.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
I can’t say that I’m super picky, I’d probably adjust to whatever I got. But I know that I accidentally picked the 50s Std instead of the 60s Std and it felt like a baseball bat. The 60s Std next to it didn’t feel much smaller, if any smaller, but I wouldn’t be surprised if GC had it mislabeled. I’ll have to keep an eye on their website and maybe call them before I go out there. It says they have a Modern there but I didn’t see it with the rest of the LPs. Might have to go back and see if I missed it. I’d think it’d be difficult to miss a LP in that Faded Pelham Blue but who knows.

I also saw a fair amount of people mention there’s a fair amount of variance in the actual size of necks even within the same shapes, so I might have wait until they more in stock or different ones and try them till one feels right.
That's pretty much the feeling I get as well. 50s = baseball bat; 60s = a bit smaller, but not a whole lot. I don't think they're offering anything in the 2020+ range that goes as flat as the early 2000s D shape type neck.

On the variance point, yes there is... but it's not a huge variance and usually within tolerances. How much your hand feels the variance depends - but simply measuring out the differences and/or using a neck profile gauge, they're pretty much within an acceptable range. But if waiting and trying them at stores is an option, I'd definitely do that - that way you can avoid getting a guitar with high frets, sharp fret ends etc...

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
That sounds like good advice. I may give that Muse another look. I really enjoyed the neck shape, it was just weird how light it felt but it really wasn’t far off from like an EC-256, maybe a little heavier, just lighter than I thought an LP would be, but pleasant to play. I’d maybe have a concern with the Okoume being easily dented over time compared to standard mahogany though.

DrBGood

Reaction score
That sounds like good advice. I may give that Muse another look. I really enjoyed the neck shape, it was just weird how light it felt but it really wasn’t far off from like an EC-256, maybe a little heavier, just lighter than I thought an LP would be, but pleasant to play. I’d maybe have a concern with the Okoume being easily dented over time compared to standard mahogany though.
I say if you like the neck on the Muse, get it. A LP having to be heavy to be real is a snobbish way to judge a LP. I have a Gibson Studio that is 2.9 kilos and an Epiphone Ultra that is 3.0 kilos and both are bona fide LPs that play and sound wonderful. You'd give me a boat anchor LP and I would sell it the same day.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

syco

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Omen , but aside from scale length , body thickness , and additional( 1V , 1T) pots , what is the difference between it and an LP . Or I should say .... What is it you are looking for ? Other than shape .

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Muse is just ok, it is not in the Inspired by Gibson line up and if you want a nice quality Epiphone Les Paul, then go with the LP Custom which is Slim Taper D neck profile, pretty darn slim and the Modern which is Slim Taper D Asymmetrical neck profile which both feel really good. I got a Muse for my daughter because it was pink/purple, and it is just ok at best. Both the LP Custom and Modern come with Probucker 2/3 pickups and an Ebony Fretboard which feel great, and the PB 2/3 pickups sound great, very close to Gibson 57 Classic Pickups.

syco

Reaction score
" Studio " would be , with the exception of bolt on neck , basically same guitar as you regret letting go with the addition of cts tone pots , coil split , treble bleed .

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Omen , but aside from scale length , body thickness , and additional( 1V , 1T) pots , what is the difference between it and an LP . Or I should say .... What is it you are looking for ? Other than shape .
It’s lighter, super strat, shred guitar kinda deal. I honestly miss having the LP, the weight, thickness, the slightly looser feel of the strings, little bit darker tone, and the extra versatility of the second tone and volume pot, plus the Modern has the two splits and the phase pot. Also, for the modern at least, having locking Grover 18:1 tuners from the factory is a selling point. And I just all around miss having an LP
" Studio " would be , with the exception of bolt on neck , basically same guitar as you regret letting go with the addition of cts tone pots , coil split , treble bleed .
So I’m not looking to necessarily get what I let go of. I got that LP honestly because my cousin was letting it go for a steal. I figure at this point, might as well get nice LP with some features I like/want.
The Muse is just ok, it is not in the Inspired by Gibson line up and if you want a nice quality Epiphone Les Paul, then go with the LP Custom which is Slim Taper D neck profile, pretty darn slim and the Modern which is Slim Taper D Asymmetrical neck profile which both feel really good. I got a Muse for my daughter because it was pink/purple, and it is just ok at best. Both the LP Custom and Modern come with Probucker 2/3 pickups and an Ebony Fretboard which feel great, and the PB 2/3 pickups sound great, very close to Gibson 57 Classic Pickups.
Yeah honestly after thinking it over some more, the Muse isn’t what I’m looking for. Even if I go with a chambered or weight relieved guitar, I still want the full thickness LP body.

I’m gonna see if GC get some more or different LPs in stock and just try them all out again, back to back to back. I’m definitely gonna have give the Slim Taper D another try. It was thickness than I’m used to or at least thicker than I expected, but wasn’t terrible. But I really wanna try the Asymmetrical Slim Taper before I make a final decision.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Have you tried the new custom? I had one with a few mods to it and that thing played as good or better then some of my higher end guitars!! I liked it so much when I traded it off for some other gear i needed.. I replaced it with the newer custom with the bigger diamond. Also the modern with the ebony board a step up from the muse.. Not sure on the neck profiles on those but the custom had a nice profile.. Well good luck man.....

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
Have you tried the new custom? I had one with a few mods to it and that thing played as good or better then some of my higher end guitars!! I liked it so much when I traded it off for some other gear i needed.. I replaced it with the newer custom with the bigger diamond. Also the modern with the ebony board a step up from the muse.. Not sure on the neck profiles on those but the custom had a nice profile.. Well good luck man.....
I’ll have to see if I can get my hands on a Custom to try out. I haven’t seen one around me, but I know the GC near me got a Modern over the last few days so I’m hoping I have time to run out there before work tomorrow and try the Asymmetrical neck on that. So far, specs wise, I think the Modern is winning, just gonna depends on how I like the neck. But I’m still a ways out from purchasing so I’m gonna try out everything I can get my hands on.

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
So I’m reviving my old thread. I’ve settled an Epi LP Modern. My only question is has anyone seen the Sparkling Burgundy or the Graphite Black in person? Those are what it’s narrowed down to and I’ve been unable to choose between the two colors. But the big reason I ask is cause I’m just curious if the Sparkling Bungundy is darker in person and if the Graphite Black is really sparkly in person? My local shop has one in the Faded Pelham Blue and it’s definitely darker than pictures online show. Didn’t know if that might be the same with the Sparkling Burgundy especially.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
For a slim neck, is it worth making the jump to a Gibson Les Paul Classic?
60 slim taper.
Consistently thinner than the 50s and regular production stuff.

I have several on various Gibsons.

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
For a slim neck, is it worth making the jump to a Gibson Les Paul Classic?
60 slim taper.
Consistently thinner than the 50s and regular production stuff.

I have several on various Gibsons.
So I finally got my hands on a couple different Epi LP Moderns at my local shop. They had 2 of the fade/burst Moderns and one in Faded Pelham Blue and ended loving the Asymmetrical Slim Taper. I really just deciding between having the shop order the Sparkling Burgundy or the Graphite Black.

Guitarzan67

Reaction score
I like the the 2022 Epi LP custom. The slim profile neck is perfect for an LP, at least mine is for me. Not quite like my 2006 Jackson Dinky MIJ maple neck. I think that neck is special.

Deadsquiggles

Reaction score
I like the the 2022 Epi LP custom. The slim profile neck is perfect for an LP, at least mine is for me. Not quite like my 2006 Jackson Dinky MIJ maple neck. I think that neck is special.
Definitely gonna get a new Modern. Just curious on thoughts of the Sparkling Burgundy and Graphite Black in person

Latest Threads