Looking for some chearp dirt

Victek

Reaction score
OK, so I've decided to amuse myself with another inexpensive dirt pedal. I was looking at the offerings from Joyo and Caline, and then I came across the TC Electronic MojoMojo and Dark Matter pedals. I was surprised at the $50 (US) price point since I think of TCE as making higher end gear. I've watched a number of demos on the tube and read reviews with the usual mix of comments that range from "amazing" to "sucks". I haven't made my mind up about them yet and I thought I'd ask here next :) Thanks in advanced for your comments and suggestions.

StormJH1

Reaction score
I think his question was primarily about the MojoMojo and Dark Matter...

I just picked up the MojoMojo, actually the second time I owned it. Since it basically retails for $49.99 now, you can find it used even cheaper. I punted it back the first time because it's pretty dark (almost muffled) if you try to use it like a traditional overdrive pedal. I now have different amps (AC10C1 being the primary), so I figured what the heck, let's try it again. Yep, it's still a dark pedal, but actually, it opens up a bit if you use it like a booster on the low gain settings. And with those settings, it actually does add a nice about of grit while staying pretty transparent. Watch the TC Electronic videos for both this and the Dark Matter, and it's clear they wanted to make bassy pedals with tube-like sag. The MojoMojo has tons of boost available, but if you just want to go from clean signal to cranked tube amp sound, it isn't the best at that. The tone controls don't seem as powerful as they could be to me, either. For $50 or less, though, it's worth owning.

I may end up owning the Black Matter eventually. It's mismarketed quite a bit - people think it's a metal or high gain distortion, but actually it's a Plexi-in-a-box. I demoed one at a Guitar Center - sounded just fine. Similar characteristics to the MojoMojo, overall. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I went on a Marshall-in-a-box binge earlier, so it's hard to imagine this would be a better option than a Zvex Box of Rock, Ramble FX Marvel Drive, etc. But again, solid pedal, well-made for cheap.

Victek

Reaction score
Don't know what you consider cheap.
Well, by "cheap" I hope everyone understood "affordable", not poorly made. The Caline pedals and similar imports go for $30-$50 US. The MojoMojo and Dark Matter are $50 US.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've decided to amuse myself with another inexpensive dirt pedal.
What do you currently have, and/or do you have a sound you're looking for?

The last 3 cheapos I have picked up recently are a Boss OS-3, EHX Soul Food, and Joyo Ultimate Drive. All 3 produce great sounds!

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
Please excuse the shameless plug :) Anyway I tried both the TC pedals, also was amazed at the price when I saw them. I think they sounded ok, but nothing really blew me away. Seems like I just couldn't get a decent tone out of either (Dark Matter/Mojo)

So even at $50.00, for me it would have been money wasted. Even if a pedal is $5.00, if it sounds crappy, that's $5.00 out of my pocket. I've never tried the Joyo's. The only thing I've heard is the enclosures/switches are a little on the weak side.

Happy Hunting....

Victek

Reaction score
I just picked up the MojoMojo, actually the second time I owned it. Since it basically retails for $49.99 now, you can find it used even cheaper. I punted it back the first time because it's pretty dark (almost muffled) if you try to use it like a traditional overdrive pedal. I now have different amps (AC10C1 being the primary), so I figured what the heck, let's try it again. Yep, it's still a dark pedal, but actually, it opens up a bit if you use it like a booster on the low gain settings. And with those settings, it actually does add a nice about of grit while staying pretty transparent. Watch the TC Electronic videos for both this and the Dark Matter, and it's clear they wanted to make bassy pedals with tube-like sag. The MojoMojo has tons of boost available, but if you just want to go from clean signal to cranked tube amp sound, it isn't the best at that. The tone controls don't seem as powerful as they could be to me, either. For $50 or less, though, it's worth owning.

I may end up owning the Dark Matter eventually. It's mismarketed quite a bit - people think it's a metal or high gain distortion, but actually it's a Plexi-in-a-box. I demoed one at a Guitar Center - sounded just fine. Similar characteristics to the MojoMojo, overall. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I went on a Marshall-in-a-box binge earlier, so it's hard to imagine this would be a better option than a Zvex Box of Rock, Ramble FX Marvel Drive, etc. But again, solid pedal, well-made for cheap.
Thanks for the details. I do find myself leaning toward the Dark Matter at the moment.

Victek

Reaction score
What do you currently have, and/or do you have a sound you're looking for?

The last 3 cheapos I have picked up recently are a Boss OS-3, EHX Soul Food, and Joyo Ultimate Drive. All 3 produce great sounds!
I currently have a Bad Monkey, Hardwire CM2 and MXR Super Badass. As for the sound I'm looking for that's hard to say. I changed amps last year and now have a Fender Frontman 65R (solid state). The Bad Monkey sounds fine with the 65R, but the MXR SBA not so much.

Based on what I've read, and can hear in the videos, the Bad Monkey is a TS variant. It would be nice to have something a little different - perhaps more of a plexi-in-a-box pedal - that would sound good with this SS amp. I'm not looking for a fuzz or metal pedal; they pretty much completely takeover the sound. I do like pedals that have High and Low EQ along with Level and Gain; they are easier to dial in IME.

Hope that clarifies things a bit and thanks for any additional suggestions.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're running a solid state amp and want cheap then I would recommend the Joyo amp-in-a-box pedals. Joyo JF-13, JF-14, JF-15, JF-16. Hope this helps.

Gary

Reaction score
For cheap, buy used. All of these Boss pedals were between $20 and $50 each.

Citrus Monolith

Reaction score
The DOD-250 goes on sale for $50 pretty regularly. I like it because with the gain off it doesn't color my sound noticeably like a tube screamer would. Also I can still get a decent cleanish sound by rolling off my guitar volume with the pedal engaged, another thing I found the tube screamer would not do. For a boost I run it like most people do a tube screamer, volume at max and gain anywhere from off to 9 o'clock. If you turn up the gain it gets kind of gnarly, but in a nice way. Sort of reminds me of Weezer's sound.

kakao

Reaction score
Joyo Ultimate Drive .. the best OCD clone ever.

Look no further ...!

Tweaker

Reaction score
Joyo Ultimate Drive .. the best OCD clone ever.

Look no further ...!
Agreed!

But, if you can get a Dark Matter for only $20 more than a Joyo, that's pretty cool. Might as well buy both of them. :naughty: :thumb:

Brocko

Reaction score
The joyo amp in a box pedals are excellent value.

I have a joyo American (fender) and a California (mesa boogie) and they stand up against pedals much more expensive.

The enclosures and switch seem fine to me. I think people just want to find something wrong as they are so cheap. But by far the clunkiest switches I have encountered are on Earthquaker Devices pedals which sell for 7x the price of Joyo!

The joyo American has cab sim so can be plugged straight into the pa and still sound ok. So will still be useful even if later you decide to upgrade [and you will ;)]. I keep one in my gig bag just in case of amp issues

Victek

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I picked up a TC Electronic Dark Matter pedal yesterday at GC (had a 15% coupon so it only cost $42.50 - pretty cheap dirt :naughty:). I didn't have time yesterday, but will take it for a test drive today. If it's a keeper I'll start a NPD thread with pics, etc :thumb:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
For a SS amp, I prefer distortion boxes over OD. That said, a Cornish G2 clone is a killer pedal, contact member BuGG to see if he's still building them. The warmest, dirtiest crunch without going to mud I've ever heard.

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My son bought a Boss Powerstack recently. It does a really good job of shifting the character of any amp it's in front of to something closer to a Marshall. I think he paid around $70 used.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Nobels ODR-1 Reissue (on ebay for 99 bucks), MXR Modified OD, Way Huge anything, and the MXR Super Distortion are all great choices.

I prefer Dunlop (and MXR/Way Huge) dirt over BOSS dirt.

Latest Threads