Looking for qualified luthier

alainguitars

Reaction score
I've had an original 82 JV strat for years now. Had great fretwork, electronics , pups done when I was in New York. I stripped the thick poly off it and gave it a tru oil finish. What's unusual is that it's a rare 24 3/4 scale length and the body may be close to 10% smaller. Rather than buying more guitars, I would love to have a humbucker in the bridge position. This means routing the body and the pickguard since the smaller size will not fit a regular sized Fender pickguard. Please contact me if you"re qualified.

Dilver

Reaction score
Before going thru all that, and modifying something unusually rare, have you tried a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge?
Good call. - I put the Little ‘59 in my son‘s Strat and it‘s pretty good; even has adjustable polepieces.

THAWK819

Reaction score
Who did the work for you in NYC? I’m looking for someone I can trust to work on higher end guitars. Lots of shops have closed down the last few years.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Seriously, AFAIC a humbucker in the bridge position of a Strat is overrated.
As @BadPenguin said, try a stacked Seymour Duncan first and see
(and hear!) how you like it.

I own a .57RI and a '62RI with original vintage type pups and they sound
really really good. And yes, they sometimes make some noise.
Awesome!

JohnInNJ

Reaction score
Something like this? Elliot Randall (original guitarist for Steely Dan) on his very customized strat.

alainguitars

Reaction score
Who did the work for you in NYC? I’m looking for someone I can trust to work on higher end guitars. Lots of shops have closed down the last few years.
The fretwork was done by John Boerscke (spelling?) at we buy guitars in Wantagh LI. Just learned they are now in Farmingdale under the name wellstrungguitars. My go to was usually Norio Imai on 24th street. Can't say enough good things about their skill levels. Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread. Cheap enough to try a single coil sized humbucker without much trouble.

Last edited:

Latest Threads