Looking for personal recommendations on cheap TVs

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
This kind of stuff these days all have the same innerds, its just the quality of the plastic around it that's different.

As long as you don't move it around or bang it too much, a cheap one is fine.

kakerlak

Reaction score
If that doesn't work out, you can buy direct from Samsung for a good price. This series is better that the competition in its price range.

Thanks for that! This is the model I got: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...mart-tv-2021-qn75qn800afxza/?redir=QN75QN800A

kakerlak

Reaction score
Hope that one works out for you. It's certainly the top of the line. The one I posted is killer for the money, but not in the same league as the 8K :)
Lol, I'm already fighting the seller on it. What looks like is going on is they take in a handful of orders, cancel them as undeliverable address, which prompts Amazon to send an email telling you to reorder. Meanwhile, the seller raises the price about $2200 and hopes you just click through and buy at the higher price without noticing.

Amazon assures me I'll see it delivered to my door, so we'll see...

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut the cord back in 2005.
The only TV in my place are these...

full

full
Not to derail anything, but HOLY SHIT!! What a perfect collection and P-90s to boot. Frickin' awesome axes!!

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Lol, I'm already fighting the seller on it. What looks like is going on is they take in a handful of orders, cancel them as undeliverable address, which prompts Amazon to send an email telling you to reorder. Meanwhile, the seller raises the price about $2200 and hopes you just click through and buy at the higher price without noticing.

I shop LCD panels all the time and that sounds like a way too good to be true deal. Kinda like the Dumble at a garage sale story. Hope Amazon steps up for ya, but I havent seen anything open box/recon for anything approaching that price. Good luck

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son has a 75" in his living room.... Thankfully his LR is longer than wide so the couch is far enough away to not go blind watching it.... First thing I watched on it was the first episode of Mandalorian... Dayum.... I think mine in the living room is like a 52" I think... I don't want a bigger tv....and I don't much care for 4k/etc. Too much juice.... This Vizio has already aged out one app....but I have a Roku Ultra hooked to it so I am in no hurry.... I'll watch it until it pukes, then buy another about the same size.... It'll be cheap because most folks will have wall size TVs by then.... I just ain't that picky...

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

Hopefully you get it.

I would love to get the Samsung 65QN85A soon.
Got to finish my basement floors before though.
But for me it's worth paying more to get a better picture and great flexibility.
My son plays an XBOX, we watch DVD's we have (HDR and upscaling is important) ,
streaming form a TV App or Youtube, whatever, makes it important to have
good specs.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll only get Samsung.

My LG is the worst TV I ever got. Every other TV in the house is Samsung and has no issues.

LG has a known issue where the wifi just stops working and they refuse to acknowledge or fix it. At that point its just an expensive dumb monitor.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these for our guest bedroom. Don't have it yet. Will update when I get it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll only get Samsung.

My LG is the worst TV I ever got. Every other TV in the house is Samsung and has no issues.

LG has a known issue where the wifi just stops working and they refuse to acknowledge or fix it. At that point its just an expensive dumb monitor.

Shit -- that sucks, man! Never heard about that as a systemic problem.

Sony and LG (OLED display) have been flipping between #1 and #2 for the best displays for many years. We have an LG C9, that replaced our Pioneer Kuro plasma. The picture is jaw dropping. I've had it for a couple years - flawless. We use all the popular built-in streaming services with no issue.

LED/LCD displays, no matter how good they are (and some are quite good), suck balls at off angle viewing and black levels. They are for people who like BRIGHT displays.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My LG worked for about a year and then the wifi just stopped working. The router is right behind it so I knew it wasn't a matter of, "too far from the router."

So I just hooked a game console to it and bought an Amazon fire stick to plug into it so I could stream Netflix and stuff again.

I really only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway. I don't have or use cable tv.

It does weird things though like the wifi stopped working. Sometimes an HDMI port stops working and I have to unplug and plug in the device again. The 'sound out' will switch from TV to Optical Out (soundbar), the screencast pretty often fails to connect to a phone or tablet.

Honestly I really hate that TV and will never buy LG again. It's been an overpriced piece of trash.

Meanwhile I have 5 other Samsung TV's in the house that have never given me any problems.

Anecdotal evidence? Sure... and I'm sure someone has a Samsung that's not working. But it hasn't been my experience so I'll keep sticking with them when I need a new tv.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I shop LCD panels all the time and that sounds like a way too good to be true deal. Kinda like the Dumble at a garage sale story. Hope Amazon steps up for ya, but I havent seen anything open box/recon for anything approaching that price. Good luck
Yeah, definitely. OTOH, over $3k for refurb when new is $3,300 seems like a terrible deal, so something in between is more like it. But this seller is part of Amazon's "Amazon renewed" network, so they're kind of operating on Amazon's behalf. I figured it's worth trying to buy and then fighting like hell to see if Amazon makes good on it. I know there's no risk I end up out the money and empty handed, since Amazon handles the billing and it's on a CC. We'll see... The only downside is now I've got an $800 commitment hanging out there for this TV and that could turn into a dog and the bone scenario if another good deal comes along. I am kind of hoping to get the seller canned, though -- Amazon says they're opening an investigation.

Oh, and as far as LG goes, I believe my BIL had the board burn out in his shortly after purchase (replaced via warranty, but still...).

truckermde

Reaction score
My LG worked for about a year and then the wifi just stopped working. The router is right behind it so I knew it wasn't a matter of, "too far from the router."

So I just hooked a game console to it and bought an Amazon fire stick to plug into it so I could stream Netflix and stuff again.

I really only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway. I don't have or use cable tv.

It does weird things though like the wifi stopped working. Sometimes an HDMI port stops working and I have to unplug and plug in the device again. The 'sound out' will switch from TV to Optical Out (soundbar), the screencast pretty often fails to connect to a phone or tablet.

Honestly I really hate that TV and will never buy LG again. It's been an overpriced piece of trash.

Meanwhile I have 5 other Samsung TV's in the house that have never given me any problems.

Anecdotal evidence? Sure... and I'm sure someone has a Samsung that's not working. But it hasn't been my experience so I'll keep sticking with them when I need a new tv.
Totally agree. I have 4 flawless Samsung TVs, and one is even 12yrs old. Samsung displaced Sony years ago as the best TV available, LG never made anything that impressed me.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, IME, AFAICT, LAMF, etc...

Latest Threads