Looking for personal recommendations on cheap TVs

kakerlak

Reaction score
New house, bigger den means I'm gonna need to finally upgrade from our old 40" TV to something 75"+. I'm looking in the <$1k range and it looks like there's pretty consistently stuff from funky brands like Onn, Element, Hisense, etc. in the $600-650 range and Samsung, LG, Toshiba around $750-800. Anybody have any recommendations (or regrets)? I say under $1k, but I'd probably rather keep it under $800, unless some sort of screaming deal on a higher end TV presents itself.

New attic is not the kind of space I wanna mess with running wires for speakers, so I will probably end up lazily relying on the TVs internal ones and I have a hunch that's one of the cost saving corners some of these cheap TVs cut.

Zylo

Reaction score
With tech these days , especially with companies like Hisense don't be snobby about the brand name as it is very common that they they use a lot of same parts inside as the big brand names

jrbab

Reaction score
I had a 65" TCL Roku TV - lasted 2.5 yrs of moderate use. It developed a wide black line down the center of the display. Not fixable if out of warranty! TCL has NO certified repair shops. Their idea of repair is throw it out and replace. Luckily, I had an extended warranty on this so I got a full refund from Costco (minus sales tax). I replaced it with a Samsung - better TV and they won't run away from service issues. While I liked the TCL when it worked, I would avoid them just because they don't stand behind their products. I contacted some large independent repair shops and all told me the same thing - TCL won't sell them replacement parts. If the TV biffs it, it goes into the dumpster - no ifs ands or buts about it.... BTW - this all happened a few months ago so it's not ancient history.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Toshiba I have does not like being a PC monitor. It never gets the correct 1080x1920 screen resolution on driver updates. I always have to fiddle with stretching it. It quickly became our guest room roku TV and the Vizio is my PC wall mount monitor.

We have a 75" (or maybe larger) Vizio (non-smart, non-4K) TV on our living room wall. Seems it was around $700 several years ago off Amazon.

I think we got our son a Samsung for his house warming gift.

As said above, with today's tech, it is really hard to go wrong.

Probably hard to get anything that isn't smart or 4K anymore.

kakerlak

Reaction score
The way I have things set up, we're about 15' away from the TV.

And I'm definitely more cheapskate than brand snob about this stuff -- the old 40" TV we have is a Westinghouse that was the cheapest in its class probably 12 years ago. Still works great!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Be careful, 75" is gigantic, even for a nice sized room. 65" seems to be the sweet spot before "damn, I need to look left and right just to take in all the information on the screen."
I've been to people's houses with oversized TVs before and I definitely don't want that eye fatigue from not being able to take in the whole screen straight ahead. Also can't stand all the high-mounted TVs people seem to love these days, but I'm getting off topic.

kakerlak

Reaction score
The Toshiba I have does not like being a PC monitor. It never gets the correct 1080x1920 screen resolution on driver updates. I always have to fiddle with stretching it. It quickly became our guest room roku TV and the Vizio is my PC wall mount monitor.

We have a 75" (or maybe larger) Vizio (non-smart, non-4K) TV on our living room wall. Seems it was around $700 several years ago off Amazon.

I think we got our son a Samsung for his house warming gift.

As said above, with today's tech, it is really hard to go wrong.

Probably hard to get anything that isn't smart or 4K anymore.
Yeah, everything is smart 4k, even at the cheapest end of the scale. Entirely possible I'll keep this 10+ years, so I might as well anyway. The old 40" Westinghouse is going in the bedroom whenever we get a new one. It's so easy to put TVs anywhere with streaming these days... Which is funny because this new house has cable drops absolutely everywhere.

Howard2k

Reaction score
Consider your multimedia setup too. If you are buying a SmartTV then you should look at feature compatibility with your devices. Do you want to stream to the TV from your phone or laptop, for example, does it need Netflix, Prime etc? Or maybe you're just using it as a dumb TV?

I think there's still a good case for a dumb TV and an off-TV streamer like a Roku, AppleTV, game console etc. But in any case, before buying a TV I'd have a roadmap for my content strategy.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Visio smart tv … I hate this thing

the reds are like cheap red lipstick, and there are no real blacks… the color changes drastically if you ya few degrees off center…none of this is adjustable to a good mix of colors …

go with the older Plasma TV’s if you can find one… or that newer o- something tech … they cost a bit more … but accurate color is significantly better.
Faster chipsets too but a lot of that bunk is marketing mumbojumbo … you need to re-educate yourself in this tech talk every time …

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 Sonys in the house. All are wonderful. They replaced shitfuckasshole LG, Samsung and Vizio.

Also, Bose has wireless surround sound, but the speakers do need a power source. You might do well with a good soundbar at the TV's location. The stock TV speakers suck ass anymore.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I just bought this one for myself. 65" runs $699 at BB. Incredibly good image quality for the price. Its a legit bargain at that price. 75" is available also, but in most rooms 65 is plenty large

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Consider your multimedia setup too. If you are buying a SmartTV then you should look at feature compatibility with your devices. Do you want to stream to the TV from your phone or laptop, for example, does it need Netflix, Prime etc? Or maybe you're just using it as a dumb TV?

I think there's still a good case for a dumb TV and an off-TV streamer like a Roku, AppleTV, game console etc. But in any case, before buying a TV I'd have a roadmap for my content strategy.
I second using a outboard streaming device. I'm partial to Fire, but lots of people like Roku, however availablity of some large networks on Roku is currently up in the air. Chromecast seems to be one a lot of reviewers rate favorably, and if you are a iPhone type, Applt has one too. The beauty of the attachables is they are portable, when you replace a screen your experience stays the same, you dont have to relearn a new interface each time. And its super easy to upgrade

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I had a 65" TCL Roku TV - lasted 2.5 yrs of moderate use. It developed a wide black line down the center of the display. Not fixable if out of warranty! TCL has NO certified repair shops. Their idea of repair is throw it out and replace. Luckily, I had an extended warranty on this so I got a full refund from Costco (minus sales tax). I replaced it with a Samsung - better TV and they won't run away from service issues. While I liked the TCL when it worked, I would avoid them just because they don't stand behind their products. I contacted some large independent repair shops and all told me the same thing - TCL won't sell them replacement parts. If the TV biffs it, it goes into the dumpster - no ifs ands or buts about it.... BTW - this all happened a few months ago so it's not ancient history.
As cheap as TVs are and as fast as the tech is changing it just doesnt make sense to spend much to repair one. Why drop $2-300 to fix an outdated one when you can buy new for a couple hundred more and get better stuff?

kakerlak

Reaction score
As cheap as TVs are and as fast as the tech is changing it just doesnt make sense to spend much to repair one. Why drop $2-300 to fix an outdated one when you can buy new for a couple hundred more and get better stuff?
I would agree here, but, at the same time, I'd be annoyed if a TV broke in 2-3 years of simple use.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut the cord back in 2005.
The only TV in my place are these...

full

full

truckermde

Reaction score

Latest Threads